Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird black 'burnt' looking beet

Options
  • 16-09-2021 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭

Finished harvesting the last of this year's beets. One of them had about 1/2 of its surface appearing 'burnt.' This black stuff went into the beet.

Here's one of the worst parts:

Here is a cross section showing the black stuff penetrating into the beet:

We don't intend to eat this beet. In fact, overall the beets did great this year, though for the last month the cabbage moth caterpillars decimated their leaves. However, I'm concerned there's some sort of blight around for beets? We don't grow potatoes, but the neighbors do. Could this be potato blight somehow affecting beets?

Another thought is that this particular plant was packed in with others and they grew up in tight groups. Maybe some fungal spores got in between two of them as they grew and did this? The bed in question yielded around 80 beets over July/August/September. This is a chioggia beet, the other variety I grew was a golden beet.

The bed in question hadn't had beets before as far as I can remember, just kales, chard, pak choy. I do rotate every year trying not to grow the same things year-on-year in the same beds.

Advice appreciated.

Advertisement