Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Mobile Broadbands Better Than One?

Options
  • 16-09-2021 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

Sorry if this has been posted but I have checked fairly extensively and it doesn't seem to be. Thanks to anyone who reads this appreciate it

PROBLEM:

• Based on my address, my only choices for broadband are Sky Home Broadband (13 MGBPS) / Pure Telecom Home Broadband (averaging 13 MGBPS) / Vodafone Mobile Broadband (up to 30MGBPS but very good reception). I use 7 smart devices, two laptops, an ipad and two tv's.

QUESTIONS:

• Is one Vodafone Mobile Broadband Modem (45e/pm) good enough for at least Netflix and con calls?
    • If not are there advantages to getting and paying for two modems (e.g. 45e x 2)? Get my thinking? Maybe the answer is no but if there are any benefits of two and if we are starved for broadband it may make sense? Work pay for it.

Also Satellite broadband is either advertised as too slow (saw one saying max 30MGBPS) or Starlink is not in my area yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I have exactly that. 2 Eir modems (€30 pm /each), purely so i don't go over my monthly cap.

I have a Synology router with 2 WAN ports to manage it so I only have one Wifi SSID around the house and set it up so both modems are used in parallel. I also set it up so my work laptop uses one modem , my wife's the other so it doesn't interfer with conference calls.

Speeds I typically get are between 30-150Mbps on each modem, and certainly don't need more, but I guess that overall at peak times I have twice the bandwith so I have never experienced any more lagging with 3 TVs streaming stuff.

Advertisement