Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camper newbie questions

• 16-09-2021 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40 Somepeople

We recently bought a camper and was wondering about camper etiquette. I don't want to do something stupid or be unaware of normal rules.

Its a camper on the logbook (transit) and taxed/insured as a camper.

1. If you book into a camper site, can you leave with the camper and come back when you want or do you stay parked there? If you can leave is your space reserved?

2. Can you park in the likes of Dunnes or Tesco or random car parks overnight? Can you park in a pay and display overnight once you've paid?

3. Can anyone recommend nice places in Mayo, West Galway, Clare, Kerry to park overnight, camper site or other.

4. Do many people bring their dog?

5. Will two leisure batteries last long with the interior lights on, charging two mobiles and running the fridge. Would you get two or three days without recharging them?

6.Is there anything the seasoned campers get annoyed about with the new campers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Question 1

Yes you can leave and come back but you should leave something after you to make it clear pitch is taken.

I know one couple came back and another camper moved in and was using their gear they left on the pitch.. they said oops we thought last people left it behind because they didn't want it.

2. I've never done it and probably wouldn't recommend it. Rule number 1 in camping, don't be a nuisance- if 10 other people do the same it going to draw attention and annoy tesco or whoever owns the carpark. Try using common sense in each case.. if you arrive late and leave early possibly

4. Some do.. not that many I think. I was on a campsite in Tipp recently.. couple had geese with them and the house to put them into. I kid you not. Imagine the Stink in the 50,000 euro camper..

5. Depends on a few factors. Change bulbs to LED you will easily get days put of them

6. My pet hate is campers being inconsiderate arseholes. Parking across a number of spaces or parking up with no consideration of other people or the locals. The usual tripe is "we pay road tax", well frankly mate it's not alot on a camper and everyone pays road tax it's not an entitlement to be a dick.

Just use common sense, be mindful of other and locals particularly.

Enjoy the camping it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Somepeople

Thanks so much for that.

Bringing some geese on holidays is brilliant.

1. If you book into a camper site, can you leave with the camper and come back when you want or do you stay parked there? If you can leave is your space reserved?

A lot of people have a step or a box or similar with their number plate on it to show the pitch is inhabited

2. Can you park in the likes of Dunnes or Tesco or random car parks overnight? Can you park in a pay and display overnight once you've paid?

I wouldn't. At the mercy of locals at night, no security, no facilities. No idea if it's legal though. To be fair I'm a caravanner and prefer sites whereas motorhomers / campers prefer sleeping under motorway bridges and the like.

3. Can anyone recommend nice places in Mayo, West Galway, Clare, Kerry to park overnight, camper site or other.

Try Charlie and Me on Youtube for loads of motorhome stops from full blown sites with all facilities to fields with a tap

Yeah. On behalf of the non dog owning community, please keep them / it under control and out of other peoples tents / caravans / etc.

5. Will two leisure batteries last long with the interior lights on, charging two mobiles and running the fridge. Would you get two or three days without recharging them?

A battery won't last a day running the fridge. Look into electric hookups at normal sites, solar chargers when not on hookup and gas to run the fridge

6.Is there anything the seasoned campers get annoyed about with the new campers?

When on site, respect other peoples pitches. I've paid for it therefore no I don't want your van parked across it or your kids using it for hurling practice. Thats not just for new campers though. For new campers specifically nothing really springs to mind, generally a friendly bunch.

Enjoy 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Sorry can't help with this one as I seldom use campsites.

I wouldn't park in a private carpark without asking first. Most hotels and pubs with sufficient spaces don't mind you staying overnight providing you have a meal or drinks, i.e. you're a customer. Public carparks and on street parking is different. Anywhere a car can legally park you can as well, whether or not you'd want to is a different story. I've used both without problems, use common sense, if it dosen't feel right move on.

Loads of lovely spots. Check out Google maps also motorhome parking Ireland, about €10 to download I think. Plenty of info on Motorhomecraic.ie

Some do and some don't. Some campsites don't allow dogs.

You won't run the fridge on batteries. The 12V element should only come on when your engine is running, this keeps a previously chilled fridge at low temperature until you can plug in or switch to gas.

As previously said, inconsiderate parking would be one of the main ones. Treating public parking as if it were a campsite by putting out awnings, BBQ, chairs and tables. Illegal dumping of toilet waste, grey water and rubbish. Thinking you have a right to entertain everyone with your music or yapping dog.

Advertisement