Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed: trying to boot up a Lenovo Thinktank PC

Options
2»

Comments

• Disk looks absolutely fine 🙂

• Looking promising! If this succeeds I’m going to set myself up in business troubleshooting and charging for it. 😂

• It’s the Windows recovery partition, Jeff. I’ve learned a heck of a lot in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

That's strange, recovery is usually drive D:\

Hopefully you get it sorted now.

• Not so sure! Windows installed fully from the USB drive, then as I was customising it suddenly it crashed. Will look again later to stop it doing my head in. I may have to look at the command line again and clean up the partitions a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

In command prompt wiil you type in dir D:\ the press enter and see what comes up.

• I’ve got to this screen to try and repair disk, whether or not it will work is another thing. I’m having doubts about all of this. Anyway I will let it cook, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

I wouldnt trust it if it just crashed that soon after installing it - even if it said it repaired the fault.

Looks like a hardware issue - probably why it was never used.

• most often its the harddrive - they can die if used in a pc with the airvents covered (like if used on a bed/blanket or something).
    • next most likely thing is ram - if you can get windows to start - run a "Windows Memory Diagnostic" (its built into windows 10)
    • or you can download a test boot disk from Microsoft if computer cannot boot.

I would just buy an ssd harddrive anyway - way better than mechanical disks - easy to fit and cost about 40 euros on amazon for a small 256G one- sometime 512 during the sales. You will need download windows 10 from Microsoft website and put it on a 8gb USB key when changing the harddisk.

“Roll it back”

• Nah, tried everything I could throw at it, now dismantling my attempt at personalisation/password, restoring to factory setting. I guess there is some factory issue or I would have got it going. First time I’ve been totally stumped, except when years ago an old hard drive failed and even then I managed to recover a third of the data.

…and back to the relaxing pursuit of learning css etc, which I’m then going to teach Joe Duffy so he can create very impressive websites in order to recruit sophisticatedly scammed callers to Liveline.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'd disconnect that hard drive and just try booting of a USB drive.

As others have said already. If you want to be able to restore it back to factory. I would just use a different hard drive, a SSD etc.

• Advertisement

• It’s under warranty, can’t touch it other than the type of safe software stuff I’ve done. Anyway it’s just resetting here in front of me back to the way it came with its warranty. There could well be a factory fault, I really don’t know. One last thing thing I will do, reorder boot sequence.

• No, nothing at all has worked. I honestly don’t really believe it can really be got going again by means other than a hardware fix or suchlike under warranty. Something is not switching on in the boot sequence no matter what. May possibly be a hardware issue, but it’s anyone’s guess.

• The machine has 1 TB, it’s a serious professional hackers/business machine. I know exactly why it was never used, circumstances totally unrelated to the machine and not at all relevant here. It never got out of its packaging, I had to extract it from very tight packaging and the trick will be to pack it all nice and securely again. Apropos of nothing, I’m a bit too familiar with packing stuff in recent times and the very thought of it gives me nightmares 😱😱😱 Can’t even watch Coronation Street in case I see Kirk packing boxes 😖😤

• Mods, when you see this, thread can be closed. 🙂 Thanks to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It's just a basic office machine. Probably best not to mess with it if you are unsure.

Advertisement