Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring landline number to FTTH?

Options
  • 16-09-2021 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭

Has anyone experience of removing an existing landline and transferring across the number to a new OpenEir FTTH install? What was involved?

Similarly, has anyone moved from one FTTH provider to another (e.g. after end of contract) and successfully transferred their number to the new provider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

I have transferred a few times with no problem. Eir>Sky>vodafone>Digiweb ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Thanks. How did you initially go about removing the landline number and tranferring to VoBB/FTTH? Did you install FTTH, then later transfer number and remove landline subsequently? Or was it all done in one go as part of the installation process?

Post edited by Apogee on

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

The supplier you are moving to will arrange the transfer. When applying to the new supplier, you must request them to transfer your number.

The new supplier will give you a temporary number while the transfer is taking place usually 24/48 hours.

If you do not request the transfer, this temporary number will become your new number.

You do NOT cancel anything with your existing supplier, if you do, you will lose it.

Everything is done by your new supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

I had an Eir landline and FTTH with Eir which caused some concerns because the landline was under the same UAN with eir as the broadband.

I decided to port the landline early and now have it with Goldfish for receiving calls. They link the incoming calls to a VOIP account of your choosing. If you wish to make calls on the same line then the costs rise a bit. It costs me €6 per month to have complete control over my landline totally separated from my broadband provider. I used a cheap VOIP provider to make calls. So my router had two VOIP accounts set up ...... one to receive and the other to make calls. If I found a cheaper VOIP provider for some type of call I was making I could use a third provider for those if it was worth it.

I then change provider of my broadband as normal with no effect on my landline which I have had for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

An update

I changed ISP and now have multiple 'phone lines' (all VOIP) set up

1. a free 'line', with the new ISP, to make outgoing Irish Geo calls ... to 'landlines' ... at any time at no cost
    2. a €6 per month cost to receive all calls to my main (decades old) number, via Goldfish
    3. a free of cost VOIP account to which Goldfish passes the received calls, and which is used to make outgoing calls to other VOIP accounts/numbers at no cost.
    4. A PAYG VOIP account for outgoing calls to Irish mobile numbers primarily, but also to foreign numbers and Irish landlines if the main line is occupied. This account is chosen to suit my use-case and provides cheap rates.

The Telephony section of the Fritz!Box router is set to use the "correct" line for all outgoing types ..... landline, mobile, international and VOIP calls.

In addition calls to specific accounts can be directed to either or both of the two phones presently in use.

The most difficult part of the setup was the testing to ensure I got the use, of the different account 'lines' for the different call types, correct.

I could possibly cut my costs a small bit more, but TBH as it costs less than €100 per year for all calls, in and out, I am not inclined to bother. Diminishing returns for effort and the possibility of introducing some unreliability with new services, means I stay as I am for the present.

• Advertisement
Advertisement