Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12x148 into 12x142 frame

• 17-09-2021 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭

Hi All

I am looking for advice as I have Nukeproof Mega frame which accepting 12x142 wheel but found very difficult to source one. As boost seems to be standard just wonder if its possible to fit that extra 6mm wider wheel into the frame and what additional issues might arise due to this?

Also if somebody have to spare wheels 15x110 and 12x142 please let me know. I am looking something cheap tho as whole project meant to be budget ehhh... :).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭boomdocker

29er?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I would have thought it's impractical to try to get a boost (148mm) wheel into a non boost frame. If it were the other way around, you could use a Wolf Tooth Boostinator. But the obvious advice is get the right wheel size for your frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

What size rims? What width of rims, etc. are you looking for?

Going back a few years now, the Megas have mostly (to my recollection at least) had DT Swiss wheelsets. DT Swiss do offer 142 options (I checked the M1900 offerings by way of reference) wheels so if you are wanting like for like (or as close as the case may be with newer models of various parts), then you may need to order from a bike shop if you are having difficulties finding stock on-line. Having a custom wheel build built is also an option. Neither are overly "budget" options but nor are they necessarily in the realms of eye-watering prices depending on what components parts you want to opt for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Hi All

Thanks for replies. Its a 27.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

You need to get a 12x142 conversion kit.

DT Swiss do a kit, and it's possible as the Trek Roscoe uses 12x142, so to convert to 29 you need to buy the conversion kit to take from 148 to 142 (eill be possible with 27.5 also as it's no related to wheel diameter).

It's basically modified end caps, you pull the 148 caps off the wheel hub and fit the 142 set.

Contact the wheel manufacturer directly and ask if they do the modified end caps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement