Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 Irish Gigs (Confirmed & Rumoured Events)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Was at Tedeschi Trucks there last year. Sound was decent but its like watching a gig in a conference room.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭VM Varga

I saw Modest Mouse there about ten years’ ago. It was the worst gig I’ve ever been to. Sound was absolutely atrocious. There was a lot of discussion about it here, and the consensus was that it was the fault of the band and their sound person, rather than the venue.

Saw Sufjan Stephens there a few weeks later. Sound and gig were perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I remember the Modest Mouse debacle and the subsequent discussion. I was at "Weird Al" Yankovic last month - fifth row in the stalls - and the sound was appalling. His vocals weren't clear a lot of the time, which is kind of crucial for him, but that's the only time I've had issues with the sound there.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭flasher0030

For the many gigs that I was at, I have never witnessed anything nearly as bad as that the sound at that Modest Mouse gig. God knows how they managed to make such a balls of it. They never rectified it for the duration of the gig. I must have been too naïve back then, in that I didn't chase for a refund. I don't know if it was the band or the venue - but I will never go to the Helix again for a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,382 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Theyre the eurovision crowd right? Saw them on festival stream last summer, seemed decent enough. Odd tour though, 1 show Gernany, then France, then onto USA, then to South America then onto Asia then back for Dublin and Manchester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Was one of the very few gigs I've been too where I felt ripped off. They were so good a short while earlier in the Academy as well

Did they ever play vicar street. I know I saw them some other time, but I don't think it was the Academy. I had a quick google, but couldn't see anything about Vicar Street. Maybe it was the academy. But I'm pretty sure that the gig I was at was the fist time I ever heard spitting venom and I thought it was phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Fanirish

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

David Keenan playing the National Concert Hall on Wednesday 13th September. Tickets on sale 22/03 from NCH site.

Steve Earle playing Vicar Street on Wednesday 29th June. Tickets on sale Monday at 10am.

https://twitter.com/Vicar_Street/status/1635943931782344707

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Copperhead Road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Deafheaven, The Button Factory, Wednesday 23 August. Also in the Limelight, Belfast the previous night.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭xropeps

Cyprus Avenue saying they're announcing an intimate show with a "Rock and Rock Hall Of Famer with an iconic female vocalist" at 10am tommorow

Any ideas? Clearly hyping this up to be a big act for them

Blondie or Joan Jett seem like the standout names

Not exactly many rock and roll hall of fame acts fronted by female lead singer.

would put money on it being blondie.

playing here with sting in June so logistics wise would make sense

Seems a fairly small venue for them to play

Yup supporting Sting on 28th June in Malahide, gigging in UK on 30th and 1st July and 22nd June so maybe a couple of intimate gigs sometime between 23rd and 27th June so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

Its the Pretenders, what a great announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Not Blondie in Cyprus Avenue... The Pretenders.

May 20th.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,437 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

Also playing Olympia & Dolans

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Was at Christy Moore in the National Concert Hall on Saturday, ashamed to say first time seeing him.

Really enjoyed it. The National Concert Hall is class for gigs like that. Was at the Proclaimers before Christmas and they were brilliant there too.

Tickets sorted for the Sleaford Mods in the National Stadium. Whats that venue like for gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Stadium is a great venue. Old school but good sound and a nice big stage.

I was at Christy Moore on Saturday as well. I had never seen him either. I have a completely different experience of the National Concert Hall. I would never go there again. I was in one of the seat BEHIND the performer. What a joke selling tickets for that area. All I could see was the back of Christy except for the one song where he turned around to face the back. I just picked up a cheap ticket online whilst I was out watching the rugby, and looking for something else to do for the night - so I cannot have too many complaints on that front, as that was in my own control.

But other issues about the NCH were crap. As soon as someone would pull out a phone, the security would be all over them - making more hassle and noise than the person actually using the phone. Don't get me wrong, I generally hate phone usage at gigs, especially when someone holds up a phone (or worse, an ipad) and starts videoing an entire song. But on Sat night, it was generally just a few photos.

For anyone that had to go to the bathroom, you couldn't just come back in when you wanted. Had to wait until the ushers gave the go-ahead, which was presumably when a song was over. Why? there was no such rule when having to leave the room, so people were still roaming around. It didn't affect anything. People weren't allowed bring in pints which was fair enough, as there would have been mayhem with people going in and out the whole time.

And the sound was so low, for a live gig. No atmosphere. Even Christy himself was trying to get things going but it didn't take off. And I was surrounded by a rake of auld ones, which didn't help.

The choir seats are clearly marked as such and the venue map when selecting tickets shows the set up. Also the choir seats are usually a €10 or so cheaper than standard seats.

NCH is an old school venue so use of phones is not exactly permitted and booze not allowed in main room.

as for toilets it’s that the show and people’s enjoyment isn’t disturbed too often with the doors opening, people walking in etc.

never had issues with sound in nch, even when seated in choir seats.

national concert hall is a different experience to say vicar st for a Christy moore show. Vicar st sounds more your thing. And he will be doing his annual week of shows around Christmas there

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

The reasons you disliked the venue i.e. no phones, no drink and less people going to and from are the main reasons I enjoy the venue. I was also sitting up at the upper tier but at the side of the stage. I never knew there was seats where you were sitting until Saturday night, I would have been a bit pissed off myself with having to watch the gig while he had his back to you the whole time.

My wife was told off for having her phone out too.

Regarding the atmosphere, as it was a Christy Moore gig in the NCH for some reason I was expecting what I got. People just enjoying the live performance. I also smoked a Jamican Woodbine before I went into the venue as I knew I wasn't going to get a drink inside and was happy to be stuck to my seat.

I'd 100% go back for another gig but would careful about where I was sitting.

I bought the tickets second hand about 2 hours before the gig. Only decided to go at that point. That's my own issue of course. Didn't do any research. But hadn't expected they'd be tickets on sale for behind a stage. Never heard of that one before.

Vicar St is definitely more my thing. I do prefer a bit more of a boisterous atmosphere. Not too over the top. But a little bit more than just the odd hand-clap which was about the height of the tempo on Saturday.

But the other issues around phone, drink etc. I do understand, but it is quite conservative in my opinion.

I was never at a Christy gig. Maybe that's the way all of his gigs are, irrespective of the venue. I

I like the idea of the other posters solution - a bit of the Jamaican Woodbine.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,528 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Vogue and Spencer are down for 3Olympia

Cyprus Avenue teasing another "big announcement" at 10am today

Probably learned our lesson after getting too excited about things yesterday

Any chance of Blondie? 🙈🙈🙈

• Advertisement

Advertisement