Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 Irish Gigs (Confirmed & Rumoured Events)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I live within 15-20 minutes of every major concert venue indoors and out in Dublin, and weekday gigs are taking more and more effort to justify when I've work the next day. If I had to throw in a 4-8 hour round trip as well I'd never leave the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Not everyone lives in Dublin.

Its a big effort to go to a midweek gig there, it means at least 1 full day off work possibly more, travel, and the hotels in Dublin are outrageous now.

I like a cool bedroom, most of the hotel rooms Ive stayed in before in Dublin are like a sauna, cant sleep properly in them.

You could be looking at 500-800 euro for a couple for a few hours entertainment.

I find myself going to less and less gigs in Dublin now and more locally.

No time off work, minimal travel, sleep in my own bed and a fraction of the cost.

Plus its alot more relaxed.

Post edited by Zardoz on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I live an hour from Dublin, do about 35-40 gigs a year, drive up and back, have never given a damn about having a drink at a gig and i much prefer weekday concerts. In fact Monday ones can be some of the best as it's usually only real fans there, rather than a bunch of pissed up twats who just want a soundtrack for their oh-so-important chats.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement

One of the benefits of working from home, most of the week, is that, it can help with midweek gigs !

I travel up to Dublin, (from Cork), only when i have to see the act, but have often returned, same night, rather than stayover, as prices are just, way too high most of the time. Aircoach return mostly, rarely, but occasionally, i drive up and down. Mid week, is a lot easier for traffic.

However, have found accomadation costs, are not so bad, for Sunday night gigs, which i’ve done a few times. Seeing Peter Gabriel in June, thats a Sunday night, and it was reasonable, so am staying over.

Its almost easier for me, to fly to London, go to a gig, meet friends, have a few drinks, some food, get late night bus to Stanstead, and get 6am back home, i did that two seperate times “The Smile” gigs, in Magazine & Roundhouse, and worked out well.

Its good to see there is so much touring happening now, so a lot more gigs are on locally, however, Dublin, always gets the bigger acts, so if i need to see an act, travelling up mid week doesent really bother me, as its a gig, its my thing, its what i do, what i enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭xropeps

Ballykeefe Amphitheatre announcing a full lineup of acts at 9pm, through a blurry post on their instagram story I can make out;

Dublin Gospel Choir

Lyra

Abbaesque

The Riptide Movement

Lisa McHugh

And The High Kings

and there's a couple more I couldn't make out.

Reckon The Stunning is as big as it'll get for there, some interesting names though

• Registered Users Posts: 21,382 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Don't mind midweek gigs myself but it's the travelling from Cork is the problem. Guaranteed need time off so with young family it means it's hard to have enough days for the travelling. Fairly sure last midweek gig I had booked in (in Dublin anyway) was Phoenix in the Olympia...imagine pulling into the carpark in the Goat to find it was cancelled! Serious trek for a dinner like, went straight back down.

It's actually affecting a gig I'd love to attend tonight (Riverside), its the way it happens I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭endainoz

Wild roots extending the bring a friend for free thing, uh oh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Some suspect advertising going on with that festival. For a good few weeks it was "Low Ticket Warning", then it was " 60% Tickets Sold" and now "Bring a friend for free" because of the cost of living crisis.....

I feel for them if they are struggling in a competitive festival market but with mixed messages like that its not a good look.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,329 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Dublin is "local" for me - only 2 hours each way. A bit easier than Belfast (getting home around 3am) and Swansea or Cardiff (early morning ferry gets me home by around 6.30am). Will be giving Cork and Galway a go later in the year...

Much easier now I'm retired though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭endainoz

Totally agree, it's a shame too because the north west definitely needs something. It's a pity they're too much like Seasessions in terms of acts. They should have done something different to stand out I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,437 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Does anyone know how to pay for tickets with a TM gift card? I have been trying to buy tickets for ages with a gift card I have but everytime I go to check out, Ticketmaster override the gift card and take a credit card payment.

Are you copy & pasting the Gift card number? I found that won't work, you have to type it in manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,437 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Yeah, that's what I was doing. It works now that I type it in manually, what a pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Great gig man. They got a good size crowd too , hopefully they'll come back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

They don't make it easy that's for sure. And can't add gift card as a payment method to save for next time instead of having to type it in each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Hopefully Extreme include Dublin whenever they announce their European ventures, which I assume will be pretty soon

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Oh yes

If so prob be Vicar Street or the Olympia

• Advertisement

Lots of “free” gigs on in Record shops on Record Store Day, this Saturday, here is the lineup from Cork, my local one Musiczone & also Golden Discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,522 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Greta Van Fleet

Bring the Starcatcher World Tour to Dublin's 3Arena on 16 November 2023. Tickets are on sale Friday at 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

New EP acts, saw someone saying the Sunday sub looks like Aphex Twin but no idea myself

Fairly crap lineup for me, as a rock fan. Few good acts but nowhere near €300 worth. Don't really see who this lineup would appeal to

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Killers the decent headliners but you've Idles, Johnny Marr, Jamie XX, Fight like Apes, Ham Sandwich, Young Fathers, Murder Capital all being bands that I'd pay to see at their own gigs.

I'm still not happy with Idles cancelling their standalone gig here with no explanation or rescheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭Zardoz

That Electric Picnic lineup is garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What's a 'Fred again' ?

Is it a 'Right Said Fred' tribute act ?

Josh Ritter is gonna be busking at 5ish this evening in South King Street by Luke Kelly statue in case anyone's interested! https://twitter.com/joshritter/status/1649371374262321152?t=iNkQiGC543JNqAZEAoy9Xg&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭xropeps

Erykah Badu recently announced a US summer tour. Know she has one or two European festival dates, but any chance we get a full tour and maybe a stop here?

Advertisement