Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

People have said that Overheal went rogue and changed the charter without consultation. I know that conspiracy theorists hate being asked for proof of anything, but it has to be asked here. Where’s the evidence that it was done outside of normal processes?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Overheal is hardly someone I would describe as impartial in most spheres of discussion.

I seem to remember quite an unbecoming hissy fit thrown by Overheal after they were threadbanned from a particular topic a few months back (old version of boards) where they lashed out quite dreadfully at more than one Admin because they didn't get their way.

At the very least an updated charter where respect for other users is put front and centre would be extremely beneficial to the CT forum. I feel that the biggest problem with the CT forum is the condescension of some users towards others. Disproving a theory isn't in itself something I take issue with (we're all big boys and girls, grow a pair) but the rolleye smilies and lol's that are reasonably tolerated elsewhere on boards could probably do with being parked in the CT forum as it adds to the "US versus Them" dynamic that has rendered the forum such an inhospitable place for many.

Glazers Out!

Exactly..

He engages in a very similar Modus Operandi that we're complaining about here on other forums..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The issue with the above charter is that the 1st rule allows for Hypothesis rather than theory to be posted.

Then the 2nd demands that any counter poster presents actual evidence in refutation.

It's not an honest position to start a debate from and results in "Skeptics" to present swathes of refutation and evidence whilst the OP is obliged to present nothing other than a hypothesis.

The template suggestion allows for an OP to ensure a developed theory and some modicum of evidence, definitive, circumstantial or otherwise.

A reversion to the original forum charter imposes a place where posters regurgitate unevidenced BS from a protected position and places an onus upon others to disprove the OPs position.

It's not how discussion and in particular discussion related to criminal or scientific matters are discussed.

No discussion can be had when an OP has the protected position of "Prove me wrong" enshrined in a charter and need present zero evidence other than a brain fart or euraka moment.

°°°°°

I tend to agree, my experience of Overheal has been outside the CT forum and it has not been positive, although I am conscious of not making this thread a witch hunt against any one site user.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The conspiracy forum has become a conspiracy itself.

Maybe it should be shut down as with this it has clearly peaked 😂

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I would add that I have probably spent less than 10 minutes in the forum since I opened my account 12 years ago. I have no feel for the discussions beyond what I am seeing here (and my instructions to posters adopting certain positions in the Coronavirus Forum to take their theories to the CT forum). It may be that other Admins, CMods and indeed local mods wish to chip in to this discussion. I'm not going to be expressing any opinion on the underlying point being raised at this time, but equally I may ultimately be reasonably well placed to comment from a position without any preconceptions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

That is incorrect

As per Overheal his own words

In 2019 I was the only mod to effect this change and I thought it was pretty cut and dry. I don’t recall asking Ancailpadporcha. We had already been working through him looking to step off from CT about a month prior.

Ur welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's just what he wants you to think.

Don't be a sheeperson

°°°°°

The whole point of the forum should be to see things from other people's perspectives, although it is important to retain a basic level of respect for people even if we do not share their opinions.

I think a reasonable compromise is to implement a more structured approach to starting threads as well as an emphasis on respect of other users as people if not their opinions.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

I can type stuff for myself, so I prefer links directly to quotes. You’re welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The charter you are referring to was a changed charter. The charter before didn't allow it and neither did the charter after.

It suited you, because, as a 9/11 conspiracy theorist, you naturally didn't like having to back your claims or theories. It made the forum a safe space for extreme views. You have tried repeatedly to change the charter back to that (temporary) charter to suit your views/theories.

Certain posters are using the whole "sure it's just conspiracy theories they're harmless", and the "that's the way it used to be" in order to try and sneak a charter change through.

This is a forum covered in medical disinfo, vaccine denial, Covid denial, etc - these are the very last subjects that need to be protected from normal discussion and scrutiny. This is a forum where many extreme views are expressed, okay, but people absolutely have every right to challenge those views.

Post 273 in this thread

Then post 18 in the charter discussion

Ur welcome

Yes It was a changed charter ..Needed to be changed because of the likes of you destroying the forum Changed in 2015 ..working fine until 2019. And now we are back here discussing the same crap as in 2015

I am more then happy to back up my claims as evidently I did in the forum. Its not helpful however if I present a point for you skeptiks to explain and I get an answer that goes something like "I don't bother because you wouldnt understand my answer anyway" That is one of King Mobs favorites.

°°°°°

There's some really quite repugnant conduct present in that link.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

The type of answer you're citing from Kingmob (if accurate) is hardly conducive to a reasoned and rational debate never mind the overall health of the forum as a whole.

I think every regular on the CT forum could be doing better if they made a little effort to be more accommodating to others.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

For clarity, you weren't responsible for the repugnant conduct.

Glazers Out!

Ohh Its accurate .... I got something wrong regarding the wording of freefall acceleration .... still suffering today 🤣

For example, As a result of the change Dohnjoe was allowed By the then mod to start threads where he could establish some ground rules of his own.

Imagine an atheist doing this in the religion forum.

I thought Ground rules were anchored in the charter. 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And the counter argument is this

"Theories inherently are based on some supporting evidence"

moreoften than not there is no supporting evidence other than a youtube video or an article from a heavily biased site.

Case in point: this thread about "magnetic vaccines"

Op was very active on thread arguing why/how the vaccines could be magnetic and saying the video in his op was real.

Then I pointed this out to the OP about his beliefs and pointed out why his theory about vaccines were wrong with his post

"Posting video of a US 25c coin sticking to someone's arm and claiming its magnetic.

One small issue there chap

https://www.quora.com/Are-any-US-coins-attracted-to-a-magnet

US dimes and quarters dated 1965 and later (as well as clad Kennedy half dollars dated 1971 and later, clad Ike dollars, and clad Susan B. Anthony dollars) are made of 92 percent copper and 8 percent nickel. These are not magnetic, either.

So gold, silver, copper, and zinc are not magnetic, and nickel is magnetic only if the alloy level is high. The US only made one steel coin variety, the 1943 cent, and that’s the only circulating US coin that a magnet will attract."

OP wasn't seen in the thread again.

So by asking questions and disproving the OP, Was I "bullying" him? Was I "shutting down debate"?

If we cave and let the OP of this thread have his way then the truth (as above) wouldn't have come out and OP of that thread would still be posting disinformation about vaccines. Should this be allowed?

But like, the magnetic vaccine craic is likely some of that fake conspiracy theory craic..

Why not just reply "Sounds like a pile of sh1te to me.." and move on with your life?

Correct, it was a changed, temporary charter.

All your personal spats aside: you have been trying and are trying to change a charter on a forum in order to protect certain views and opinions from basic discussion and scrutiny. That's not a discussion forum, it's an echo chamber.

I have presented conspiracy theories there before, I had no issue with people asking me questions, if I can answer I did, if I couldn't, then I didn't. I didn't try to change the charter because I thought my opinions were above question.

The current mods are active, and hand out infractions on both sides of the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I really dont get the conspiracists who take such affront to being asked for evidence.

I'd have thought that most conspiracists would be delighted to show what they've uncovered.

Unless they know its nonsense and have no faith in it.

Where did anyone state the 2015 charter was a temporary one ?

A link to that information would suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So misinformation should just be ignored? So you're saying that when someone posts something on a discussion site it shouldn't be discussed?

The quoting on this new site is horrible ... Unless I miss something

You said

moreoften than not there is no supporting evidence other than a youtube video or an article from a heavily biased site.

That is enough for a CT right ? ... The more easier it is to rebut with information, debunking said theory.

In my experience on the forum many will go to great lengths to avoid giving details or answering questions on their theories because it often exposes how weak certain theories are. This is why there's suddenly such a push to avoid having to detail their theories, that is what's behind all this. It's a cynical attempt to subvert normal discussion and debate.

Everyone loves watching 2 hour videos without comment from the poster. Because that happens enough already. The old charter would mean that people can just post video after video spamming threads.

• Advertisement

If there was an anti-vaccination forum with a charter which meant other posters couldn't question or scrutinise their opinions and theories - can someone explain how that would be a fair discussion forum?

If not, then why are some posters trying to suggest that happen with the conspiracy theory forum (which coincidentally has a large contingent of anti-vaccination views)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement