Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

If you had read to the end of the paragraph you would have seen he then reneged on that assertion. Here I'll post it here for your convenience; "I think a shorter one would work and additional information and clarification can be obtained by asking questions. But I think that asking questions removes the need for the template entirely."

That final sentence is where he walks back on what you posted.

So it transpires that I did understand his post after all.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

That doesn't really answer the question I asked and you kinda prove my point with the little jab at the end there. But ok.

I didn't say anything shouldn't be posted either. Not sure where you're getting that considering that I posted just a few minutes ago how people can post whatever baseless stuff they want as long as they're honest about it being baseless.

You guys have failed to show that the current charter is inequitable though. Your proposal would make things inequitable as it requires quite a bit from the conspiracy theorist before posting. Something that wouldn't be required if those points are just answered in the course of a discussion.

°°°°°

Yet again here's what he said; "I think a shorter one would work and additional information and clarification can be obtained by asking questions. But I think that asking questions removes the need for the template entirely."

What is it with the need to be condescending with some people here?

That's two people telling me I didn't understand a post they clearly didn't read.

Glazers Out!

Your interpretation of my post was at best, incomplete and selective.

Your charactisation now is misleading and reductive. I did not "reneg".

You don't have to explain my point to other people.

°°°°°

Saying that you enjoy the status quo of the forum isn't exactly a jab. There's no need to take everything as an insult.

I didn't answer the question you asked because it isn't relevant. I have put the onus on both sides of this discussion to comprise, I'm not taking one side over the other here.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Do you think the template I suggested or a refined version is a good idea?

Simple enough question.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I stand by what I said. In fact, I think your post above further confirms that you have taken only what you want to see in that post and interpreted it in the way you want to. The OP even explained to you that you have misinterpreted but you persist, which in normal circumstances would be bizarre.

I could give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you are playing tribute to the CT forum and the posting style of CTers........... but I don't think that's the case.

°°°°°

So if someone says they think a proposal isn't workable they're actually saying that it is workable?

Glazers Out!

Lol, yet you keep taking jabs at one side and repeatedly make accusations about their motivations.

Yes. I've said as much in my previous posts.

However I have issues with it that I have also raised, but you have not commented on.

But ultimately I don't think it's necessary because you guys have not demonstrated that the current charter is inequitable or that discussion cannot be facilitated by just asking questions and having those questions answered.

°°°°°

So you think it is workable but not required?

So it's a redundant idea then by definition?

The "lols" make me feel like I'm talking to a teenager. Can we not hold ourselves to a higher standard?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Save your whack-a-mole question-posting for the Conspiracy Theory forum.

The post was very clear to everyone but you. The OP clarified what he meant, yet you persist.

You are either being disingenuous or you are being difficult for the sake of it. Either way I have no interest further engaging you on the topic.

°°°°°

They said the idea was workable but not required. Therefore they see it as redundant as I stated.

They have clarified that after you insisted that wasn't the case and you still think you can take the moral high ground here?

You engaged with me in a conversation I was having with someone else.

If you don't wish to engage then don't

Glazers Out!

Yes. But declaring that was my only point was reductive at best.

For example I outlined a bunch of issues I had with your idea. You still have not commented on those.

Could you maybe comment on them now?

°°°°°

You wanted me to ask why conspiracy believers weren't getting on board with my idea?

Maybe because they want a safe space. Just like you do.

Neither of you deserve a safe space, nobody does.

Thanks for clarification on what you were saying about the proposal though, I had to take a lot of misinformed BS from people in relation to it.

Glazers Out!

Sorry, no that wasn't the points I was refering to in my last post. Though they were points you had also negelected to address.

I was talking specifically about the points I made about your proposal. You still haven't commented on them.

I also disagree with you claim that the forum is a safe space for anyone. You guys have failed to explain why this is.

I also disagree with your jab that people pointing out your reductive post was reductive. They weren't misinformed. They were just correcting your misrepresentation.

I do agree with you when you say conspiracy theorists are just looking for a safe space though. That is very apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,966 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Exactly, no one deserves a safe space. If I present a conspiracy to the CT forum I would expect people to ask what the theory is or for basic evidence. It would be a bizarre double-standard for me to think otherwise or want my views to be somehow shielded from normal discussion.

As for the "bickering", it happens on many forums, just look at After Hours or anywhere, it's part and parcel of online (anonymous) discussion and debate. As mentioned many times, the mods on CT are active and act on infringements, insults, etc.

King Mob..can you point to a couple of occasions where you accepted someone's answer to your questions and went "yeah, that is odd.." as opposed to asking 5 more questions?..

It's such a bizarre assertion because one of the over-arching complaints i've heard from CTers over the past 12 months is that they, or the doctors they point to, or the scientists who they insist are the ones telling the truth, or the "whistle-blowers" they retweet........ are all being "silenced".

Anyone not "following the mainstream narrative" is being censored and silenced.

And now they want everyone but them to be silenced 😂

No, because I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of my own posts.

Can you point out 5 examples of where I got straight answers on the first try?

Or maybe could you comment on some of the points being raised already on the thread?

Specifically, what do you think of Nullzero's idea?

Or if the whole forum isn't changed to what they want, then it should all be silenced.

• Advertisement

This is actually the most bizarre!

"Only we should be able to speak and express our opinions and ideas. If you allow people to question us, you should close the whole forum down".

All sounds very totalitarian.

We're asking for the charter to be changed back..It was gutted singlehandedly by one mod leading to the generally uncivil tone there..

You have not demonstrated this is the case however.

I take it that from your lack of an answer you don't want to comment on Nullzero's proposal? Why?

Correct. Change the charter with a view to squashing dissent....... or close the forum down 😂

As I said, totalitarian. I think NPHET might be hiring 😁

Also, just wanna point out something that illustrates the problem.

CQD demanded a random off topic question. I gave him a direct concise answer.

I asked if he could find examples of me getting similar answers as well as one other on topic question.

He ignored both.

Would this type of behaviour be acceptable if the previous charter is reinstated?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Perhaps you could explain the benefits of reverting to the previous charter?

It's also bizarre that rather than deny that this style of posting is prevalent, he just asked you a question about your own posting.

Effectively saying: "Yes, us CTers do in fact pick and choose which parts of posts to reply to, completely ignore parts that point out we are incorrect and post in a disingenuous way.......... but can you give me examples of you not doing that?"

Bizarre!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

that 2015 charter is in no way fit for purpose in my opinion, any attempt to re-enact it would be very retrograde.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

100% agree. 1st and second points alone are completely at odds with the premise of balanced discussion and wouldn't be tolerated in any other forum.

• Advertisement

The forum as it stands is just pointless..every thread descends into the same 5 posters asking hundreds of questions and then just sneering at anyone wishing to discuss the topic..

It's just uncivil, and I find it hard to believe much of it is in good faith..

The charter was changed surreptitiously by one mod..

Changing it back might go a way to making the forum fit for purpose..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement