Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"have swarmed into this Feedback thread as well to provide counter-Feedback."

So now, not only should questions not be asked of conspiracy theorists, but you don't even want feedback given?

Your answer is to ban anyone who questions a CT or cancel the forum?

"The posters who purposely disrupt every thread should be banned or the forum should be closed down because, as it is, it is only a time-waste."

How about just not reading the forum if it upsets you so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

There are apps and other social media that conspiracy theorists use for their echo chamber. As Boards has a much bigger audience, then it is only right that challenges can be made to posts rather than allow the free spread of misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Yes. By asking questions like "why do you believe this" or "what do you believe".

By asking people: "how do you explain this contradiction I see in the theory?"

By conspiracy theorists perhaps answering with "I don't know" rather than ignoring.

Also, if you guys believe that the forum is useless and just a time sink, why deny access to it by others who disagree? No one is forcing anyone to post there and there's tons of places on line where conspiracy theories can be discussed without any critical questions applied to them.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Feedback

Forum specific issues are dealt with in Help Desk

OP, can you please be explicit about what changes you are seeking here. Edits made prior to the platform changeover are no longer visible and I certainly have no idea what changes were made "a couple of years ago"

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well maybe there some be some template then for each new theory when posted.

Something like :

What is the theory.

Why does the poster believe it.

Who benefits from the theory.

Who is at a detriment because of it.

Simple enough no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

I absolutely refused to be interrogated with patronising insults interspersed with demands for summaries etc.

In effect a group of posters act as if they are in a kind of Master of Ceremonies role - acting as a host and moderator of each thread.

In an organic discussion, if one were allowed to take place, a picture would form after a while.

I was asked for a summary of the entire 200-page book [The Great Reset]. When I said I was happy to discuss individual chapters, the poster admitted they hadn't read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Inviere

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence would have no issues with any of that. Maybe I'm just out of the loop these days, and posters are right that people have taken it from what used to be interesting reading, to now using it to power all sorts of agendas and crusades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

And that person is back in hospital if you're referring to the incident in letterkenny hospital.

Example of just how dangerous some conspiracy theories can be.

• Advertisement

Great. So those kind of questions are acceptable to you.

Those are the questions we most often ask, yet it's been misrepresented in this form and by yourself in particular.

Now, if someone made a false claim like "X amount of people died" is it acceptable to ask for evidence that this amount of people died?

If not, what is acceptable response to this false claim?

Because would be a lot of complaints about people "just saying everything is false" if we have to just state the claim is false and post counter evidence.

Should we just ignoring it and pretend that it's true because the OP has declared it so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭storker

You may have a point, but a good starting place would be for those supporting or putting forward their own theories acknowledge clearly that they are simply exploring the possibilities or engaging in a thought experiment. I can't remember seeing a conspiracy theory put forward in such a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

Its also completely ridiculous to shout Evidence! for every single thing. "Oh, so you believe a top level secret conspiracy is trying to cull the world's population? Well, where's the evidence? Sources please"

"Yeah I just happened to download the agenda of their last meeting from their website. See Item 4 - Reducing the World's population by 90% through the covert use of Vaccines by way of a mass media propaganda drive to brainwash the population". Item 5 Christmas Party Planning

If a random Jew in 1930s Germany was getting very nervous about how things were shaping up, observing "This Hitler guy has it in for us Jews, I'm telling you!" these lads would want a handwritten memo from Hitler with detailed instructions and even then would say "it's not proof he will kill the Jews, just that he's entertaining the possibility, You'd want to be a lunatic to think it would ever get that far"

The whole pount about a conspiracy theories forum is that there should be at least a little good faith in the participants. Seeing as how certain views or opinions are banned from "serious" threads, why shouldn't the usual suspects be told to feck off back to Current Affairs or wherever, where they can peddle their Sourced and science based "facts".

I don't look into it that often, but it amazes me that every 4 months or so I go back and King Mob or Timberrr or whoever is there yet again, playing whack a mole with teh thread. "Do you have evidence for this, other than some random Youtube video?", etc, ad nauseum. It amazes me how invested they are in shutting down any discussion and the dismissive tone that inevitably accompanies it.

Whenever I read their 20 daily posts I always envision King Mob as like the fat World of Warcraft guy from Southpark. "How can you kill that which has no life?"

Somebody is going to need to Randy Marsh this **** or it could be the end of the World of the Conspiracy Theeories Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭storker

No, you've got it wrong. Feedback is OK, it's just feedback about the feedback that's bad. 😀

Several posters are saying that conspiracy theories are now serious business and dangerous.

That may be true but to me that is just an argument for closing the forum rather than allowing all discussion to be choked by (deniable) trolling.

Or if they are asked for evidence for specific claim, just say that they don't have evidence.

Or if they are asked what they believe and don't have a complete and total answer, just state that.

Or if they are asked why they believe something, why not just say what the reason it?

Or if they are asked about a problem that arises in the theory, why not just say: "Yea, that's a problem I can't explain and a good reason not to accept the conspiracy theory."?

I think the reason we don't here these kinds of answers is that most people who believe and post about conspiracy theories aren't doing it to find out the truth, and they don't want to admit they're just writing fantasy.

This claim was actually made recently

"Now, if someone made a false claim like "X amount of people died" is it acceptable to ask for evidence that this amount of people died?"

When it was pointed out that 12 people died and not the 1000 that was claimed the poster just disappeared, are the people asking for a change not happy that this false claim was questioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I rarely post in the CT forum, but I enjoy reading it. However it seems the problem here is that people have an issue with counter-debate or any form of questioning and discussion.

Ironically, people who enjoy Conspiracies are often heard to say things like "Question everything.", but it what they actually mean is "Question everything, unless it's something I'm saying."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Inviere

My intentions are never to misrepresent, I'm simply echoing the experiences of others here, who find the CT forum harsh, unfriendly, cold, and a place where the likes of yourself revel in flexing your ego by shooting down good hearted posters who probably wandered in wanting to talk about a theory (not those who have ulterior motives, do what you wish to those.)

I stopped reading the forum a few years back, but that was my lasting impression. Any time I find myself back in it by seeing an interesting thread title on the homepage, I see it hasn't changed a bit. It's no longer an entertaining discussion forum, it's like a day's work reading anything in it.

As I said, it's a shame it can't be more balanced to allow for some growth, seeing you tirelessly question every user about minute details is like watching paint drying.

• Advertisement

Posters disappearing when their posts are proven as false is a very regular occurrence in that forum

My issue is that the forum is being subverted from its ostensible purpose of being a place to discuss the topic.

If the topic too inflammatory, too unpopular, too aggravating etc it doesn't follow that an open but nullified forum is a good compromise. It is self-cancelling and wastes the time of two sets of people (conspiracy theorists and anti-conspiracy positivists).

But the people who don’t want to discuss the topic are the ones that claim to believe in it. Look at any thread in it and you’ll see that.

??

This feedback thread is created by one's who DON'T want to discuss topics.

They want an echo chamber where their views are not challenged.

Why I wonder?

Is it because they actually don't like their views challenged?

Just imagine if that privilege was demanded across all fora here......

Well see now, you're just engaging in personal attacks.

Because I disagree vocally with conspiracy theorists I'm "flexing my ego"? And every poster who comes in believing a conspiracy theory are "good hearted"?

And again, yea, you're misrepresenting things. You keep saying that "I demand evidence" and "question every minute detail". That's not what I do. I ask the questions I pointed out to earlier and when statements of facts are made, I ask if there is evidence supporting them and/or provide counter evidence to that effect.

So again because the question still has not been answered:

If someone makes a statement of fact such as "X amount of people died". What do you believe should be an acceptable response if people are not allowed to ask for this fact to be supported?

Also, this is an oppertunity to point out another issue. I've asked that question 3 times now and it's not even been acknowledged.

What would be the appropriate response to something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

If you go to any forum (football, history, etc) and you make a claim, you will be challenged in the same way.

In fact, other forums on boards are usually less tolerant and you could be kicked for making unfounded or outlandish claims. So the conspiracy theories forum already has a lot of leeway in that respect.

Posters are free to post their own conspiracies, I posted mine, got questions on it, I simply answered them when I could and didn't when I couldn't. I didn't try to change the charter to shelter my views from normal scrutiny, that would be absurd and goes against the basic premise of any discussion forum.

Disagreeing with conspiracy theories, explaining why you don't believe them and asking people who do believe them about them is discussing the topic I'm afraid.

We even have one poster in the CT thread who claims that the recent migration of the site to vanilla was done so that more posts per page were allowed in order to bury "valid" posts in CT threads....

That's the level that is being spewed over there.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I would be fascinated to know what the OPs opinions on censorship, cancel culture and safe spaces.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement