Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Inviere

It was yourself who made it personal, accusing me of blatant misrepresentation. My interest here isn't to create an echo chamber, but merely to bring an end to the painstaking questioning of every minor thing. From a readers perspective, it's awful, and off putting. I get where you're coming from to a point, but it's overdone to the nth degree. And yes, it is apparent that you get some kind of smug satisfaction from doing it. Not everyone who leaves the forum is leaving because their views are challenged. Maybe, just maybe, they don't like the tone of the place, and perhaps thought there was more of a community spirit in it than there is.

I'm not getting drawn in to answering your question, I said why I'm posting here, I've little else to contribute, so that's all I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No one is stopping a discussion from taking place though.

But.... this is usually how the discussion goes

CT: 1000 people died that day

Me: really? Can you provide a source for that because I heard it was much less.

CT: Do your own research.

Me: But you made the claim, I'm just asking for evidence to back up your claim

CT will then either

A. choose to ignore the request

B. Call me a steeple

C. Flounce off in a huff

D: Re reg and make the same claim.

Now please tell me what I did so bad in that hypothetical conversation that would warrant a charter change or the closing down of the forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So would you agree then there is a high level of sinister posting and sinister real life impacts from certain topics ?

Would you have had a bunch of people standing outside Googles office with mega phones talking about lizard people 7 years ago ? How is that healthy... There are a minority of people making money out people that are for want of a better term ..more impressionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

There's plenty of other places on the internet that you can go if you don't want to be challenged. The reality is that everything from great reset to covid conspiracies have actively been dangerous in the last two years. So I think it's great for people to post their theories but also great to see stuff countered. We're at a point where people are actively dying due to the theories, they absolutely need to be challenged.

If you can't counter the challenges, that simply calls into the credibility of your claim.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lol

Already two posters here have said

"I refuse to answer questions"

There, in a nut shell, is your standard CT poster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

Most of the stuff posted in the conspiracy theories thread is pathetically absurd that isn't even based on logical reasoning, it's just airy-fairy nonsense plucked out of thin air without the faintest shred of credible evidence let alone proof.

In fact most of them can be countered immediately with actual evidence and proof, most of them are the equivalent of 1+1=3, wake up people stop drinking the kool-aid.

There are credible conspiracy theories. Lots of them, and it's a fascinating topic.

However 90% of them - in general, not the forum - are utter drivel invented out of absolutely nothing and what's even worse, they are paraded around as fact rather than theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

That is so sad. I saw the so called "rescue video" and the poor man was confused and in obvious breathing distress.

I'm not sure if any laws were broken but the guy in the video was reprehensible, I just hope there is some comeback for his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Sorry, no, accusing someone (accurately) or misrepresentation is not a personal attack. Everything in your post however is.

And you do illustrate my point, you've avoided the question I asked you for a 3rd time.

Should I just pretend you've answered it now? Should I just not bring up the point again because you don't want to discuss it?

Asking someone to provide the evidence for a factual claim is perfectly reasonable and accepted in most adult conversations. Asking for evidence for specific claims is not the same as demanding proof of the entire conspiracy.

We see examples of this all the time on the forum.

For instance a conspiracy theorist claims that 20 people died in an event and that this number proves there's a conspiracy. It's not unreasonable to ask them to show that this is the case, or at least why they believe that's the case. As is often times the case in conspiracy theories this claim might be at odds with accepted evidence and often times very very wrong.

So in the perfect conspiracy forum, what should be done here?

Are we allowed to ask for evidence to support the idea of 20 people dying?

Should we pretend as if 20 people died and that we are not allowed to question this because the OP said so?

Or does discussion just stop here?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Now that was some funny shìt 🤣

Here it is in all its glory in case anyone doubts the above

"The new boards format has only served to exacerbate the trolling issue in the conspiracy forum. On the last site - 5 or 6 heavily paragraphed posts would be enough to move the thread to the next page, thus burying any conspiracy related post and reducing its chances of being seen by lurkers.

Now that the thread pages are so long in the new site they have to up the collaborative effort and collectively increase the incessant spamming to ensure the posts are sufficiently buried.

Really clever the tactics they use to render the forum unusable. The mystery to me is how they have the time/energy/motivation to do this."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not sure what's funnier. That or the guy who claimed over in Current Affairs this week that Leo Varadkar is one of the most evil men the world has ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

Then rename the thread Conspiracy Evidence. These are theories? Like whats Danaerys gonna do in Season 8 of Game of Thrones.

Jayzis, there's a reason I can stand about 10 minutes in these forums before I have to leave for months at a time. You humourless sneering autists are such a drag to be around.

And yet you're here day after day, month after month, year after year. SAD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭storker

Paraded as fact, but frequently no small amount of reticence regarding what facts are being claimed. I think it was the Great Reset thread where even after several hundred posts, none of those claiming they believed in it had outlined precisely what they believed the conspiracy consisted of, what it was meant to achieve, what the game plan was, or who was behind it. But it's definitely a real conspiracy, and anyone who doesn't believe in it has been hoodwinked, etc. Apparently.

Yet amazingly you took the time out this morning to make your point.

.. whatever it actually is ?...

But they are theories.

If they are theories, why are theorists so reluctant to say things like "I don't have evidence to support this claim." or "I can't explain this contradiction"?

Why are they so reluctant to just explain their theories and what they believe and why they believe it?

Anyway..

This thread has turned into a nice 'case in point'..The same posters having their circlejerk..This ends up being 80% of every thread..

like, whatever, but it's sad to see how boards.ie has turned out..

Just close it down..

Nah. I like the place tbh it doesn't just circle around what you want it to be.

But sure look!

Also just to note once again posters who don't like being challenged consistently have turned now to making it personal and attacking individual posters when challenged. Your post is a prime example of that. And you're the one complaining about how boards is now . Gas !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Close it down and it turns most other fora into the covid forum where threads on the likes of ivermectin are permitted.

So far I've been called an egoist, fat, a WoW player with no life and now an "autist".

Censor / cancel / shut it down!!

Again, CT posters show their true colours.

If you can't explain why you have a theory, or that it's just something you think MIGHT be true, then say so. It is no shame to admit this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Inviere

There's no conspiracy here being discussed. The only reason I'm ignoring king mobs question is because it's an obviously loaded question which is clearly trying to force me into one of two camps. I've also stated I can see where he's coming from (it's healthy to have an objective viewpoint) but I find the questioning excessive.

Don't try to paint a picture that everyone not on board the whack-a-mole express here is in the Trump camp.

As I've consistently pointed out. This is not the fun conspiracy theories chat discussion that used to exist. It's more sinister and the personalized slurs are part and parcel .

Ironic that you compare CTs to obvious fiction.

Personally I'd have no issue if the CT forum was moved to the entertainment / fictional writing area of the forum, where posters are free to muse on what-ifs to their hearts content... Once there is a huge flashing banner to make it clear that what's being discussed is fiction or hypothetical.

Its when they try to pawn off ridiculousness as fact, with no basis whatsoever, that I have an issue with.

So is that what CT posters want?

To be included as fiction??

It's not a loaded question.

It's a simple and direct question. If you feel it is loaded in some manner, explain why.

I think that asking people to support claims of fact with evidence is an acceptable and reasonable thing. Do you agree or disagree? If you disagree, how do you believe that such things should be handled in the Conspiracy forum where questions like that are not allowed.

I am asking because I don't know your view point. I can't thing of a way to handle those situations that would help discussion. I can only see disallowing those questions preventing discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You were caught posting anti-vax nonsense in the pregnant forum trying to scare pregnant women, you ran away with your tail between your legs when challenged, that is an absolutely awful thing that you were doing in that forum. Not sure whether you were trying to bring humour to those threads for your own kicks or just outright trolling, but you're in no position to lecture others about how sad they are, your opinion on these matters is worth nothing.

You can't answer if you think the response is appropriate???

That's not a loaded question. It's asking your opinion.

If you have one, say so, if you don't... Fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Nothing "needs" to be done.

Where someone presents a theory, it should be subject to scrutiny and given that a theory by definition has some supporting evidence, it is incumbent upon those making claims to evidence and support their positions.

It's conspiracy theory forum, not a conspiracy hypothesis one.

Allowing the CT forum to descend into a safe space where posters can make unevidenced and unchallenged claims is a path that leads to risk IMO.

If people want safe spaces? Boards or indeed any moderated public forum should not be the place for it. Allowing such? Is tantamount to supporting the CT in the 1st instance. If no support is needed, or no challenge allowed? What is the point in even having the forum other than to allow a certain cohort of "truthseekers" to pat themselves on the back in support of ever greater bullshít gallops?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭storker

@sydthebeat "Personally I'd have no issue if the CT forum was moved to the entertainment / fictional writing area of the forum"

Or religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's a discussion forum, like any other. If some individuals don't like the discussion part that's not a reason to close the forum, it's a reason for those individuals who examine why their views can't be discussed normally

• Advertisement

And then what if the charter is changed and no questioning or disagreeing is allowed. Does this mean that all conspiracy theories are allowed?

Or is it just the mythic "valid" ones that we hear about?

Many conspiracy theorists seem to not like the idea of their preferred conspiracy being compared to ones like flat earth and lizard people. Should we treat all these conspiracies as equally as valid and protected from questions and doubt? What about when conspiracy theories disagree like those who believe that the pentagon wasn't hit with a plane. Are people allowed to disagree as long as they believe there was a conspiracy theory of some kind?

What about Holocaust Denial?

We're asking you guys what changes you'd like to make and how you'd implement them to get what you claim to want and how you would deal with issues like these.

But all we're getting in response is insults and ignoring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement