Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'd imagine there would be a huge uproar from the frequent religious posters there.

Do all CTs subscribe to the same dogma?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭storker

I'm curious...

Why are you attempting to have the CT forum closed down instead of simply making your own decision to stop visiting?

Why are you not instead requesting a "CT Safe Space" forum where you can get the conditions for "discussion" that you obviously want?

Did you inform the CT forum that you were intending to take the step of requesting its closure so that other contributors could make the case for its retention or support your case for its abolition?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭banie01

K.M, I'm not sure if I'm one of the "you guys" in your reply? I'd hope I'm not.

I'm very happy to discuss any CT or indeed any position I support and lay out the evidence that led me to my belief.

The thing is, I don't support any. The majority of time I spend over on the CT forum is spent trying to ascertain what evidence those supporting such hypotheses along with presenting evidence that is in dispute with the Hypotheses that are proposed.

Some lad is after posting over on the CA AUKUS sub thread that the UK and US giving Australia access to nuclear power trains and Sub tech is indicative of the great reset 🤦

Same poster also managed to make a vaccine supply conspiracy post too 🤷‍♂️

Australia going gung ho with Americas great reset, now being rewarded with nuclear subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Sorry, by "You guys" I meant people that are arguing that the conspiracy theory charter needs to be changed. I was using your post as a jumpping off point for mine.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Americas great reset being led by the German octogenarian schwab, for the purpose of..... Well no one actually knows.....

Just put the four or five posters on Ignore job done.

You get that with every forum on boards. That's what its their for.

Calling for it to be closed down is pretty childish.

Really? Close it down?

Not, well here's the evidence that those bullies didn't listen to?

Not, in future the difference between a theory and a hypothesis should be lain out? Rather than running with an an unevidenced theory, and running away from questions that seek evidential support? That by shifting presentation to a hypothetical what if scenario, it may bear out at least a discussion?

Rather, you not getting immediate support for a nonsensical position on shutting down discussion on a discussion site demand that it be shut down, presenting discussion as evidence of failure?

I think some people need a break from boards if a forum is annoying them that much.😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I think the Conspiracy theory Forum regulars may well benefit from taking up a new hobby, perhaps one that gets them outside and active.

I saw one post mentioning that closing that forum would result in the topics it hosts spilling into the rest of the site. Last week there was a Twenty years since 9/11 thread in AH where users were posting their memories of that day etc.

The issue of conspiracy theories surrounding 9/11 was raised, by a regular Conspiracy theories forum poster who is in the "conspiracy skeptic" camp stating that they expected the thread to descend into a mess of conspiracy theory arguments, this did not come to pass. In fact they were the only person bringing to topic up, I said as much and was the recipient of a scathing response from them.

In the end, the people over there who see themselves as battling the immense evil of conspiracy theories have in a lot of ways lost sight of reality themselves. The notion that loony right wing conspiracy nuts having only emerged in the last few years to run riot in American cities ignores that there are people on the opposite side of the political aisle are doing the same thing and that right wing militias have existed in certain parts of America for decades.

If the CT forum disappeared it wouldn't be to the detriment of the site as a whole.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Gotta say, given how often I'm told that I'm part of a cadre of people trying to stop discussion of conspiracy theories, I find it really funny we've so many conspiracy theorists demanding the forum be closed...

Except that regular poster wasn't the 1st to jump on the CT bandwagon on that thread.

Definitely 1 poster made a CT link beforehand

"RIP all those who lost their lives. I remember vividly when a classmate told us "6000 people are dead in America" while waiting for our schoolbus. Thought he was joking and laughed at him.

Terrible that a country can do such a thing to its own people"

I'd argue that a few more alluded to it too, without being as forthright.

Conspiracy discussions can be great fun and interesting.

The 'anti-skeptics' of Boards are a long way off the standard of their contemporaries on other discussion boards though. The 'anti-skeptics' on here are good at dunking on quacky conspiracies but as soon as they're met with a sliver of rational resistance on a sensible topic they're left floundering and end up turning themselves inside out to dodge questions and obfuscate.

There's no layers on here. If you believe in one conspiracy, you believe in them all.

°°°°°

If anyone had alluded to it, the discussion didn't turn in that direction.

The poster I mentioned previously was actively attempting to bring the topic of conspiracy theories to the fore in the discussion something like three full pages after the post you mentioned was ignored.

Both sides of the Conspiracy theories forum divide are equally obsessed with the subject matter, if you can't stand back and see that then there's not much else that can be said to you.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

If anyone ever says that you are attempting to stop discussions on conspiracy theories on this site they obviously aren't familiar with you. You live for discussing conspiracy theories. Without it you'd be lost.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I dont like how this thread or the CT forum is going so please close it down!

That's what you're basically saying, you don't like to be questioned and you want an echo chamber where your opinion is never questioned 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Lol More personal attacks.

I don't feel particularly strongly either way unfortunately.

I think that the forum offers a unique place where conspiracy theories actually can be discussed. This being opposed to places where conspiracy theories are protected and places where conspiracy theorists aren't willing to put their theories to questioning.

I've given you an example above in the 1st page of the thread, a poster made a definitive claim.

I mentioned others alluding in addition to that example merely as a matter of course. If one is minded to a conspiratorial bent it was more than alluded to on a few occasions before the poster who sparked your ire stuck his oar in.

But, I must say well done on ignoring the actual example of CT on page 1 of the thread you brought up. To continue to blame someone else for and I quote you on this,

"In fact they were the only person bringing to topic up, I said as much and was the recipient of a scathing response from them."

Are actual facts and accuracy beyond the pale for you? You were wrong on that thread and you are wrong in repeating it.

At least I'm not being called the same person as Dohnjoe again...

Not sure who should be more insulted by that. :P

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

How was that a personal attack?

Edit: is it not accurate to state that you are one of the leading contributors on that forum? Where is the attack exactly? Are you embarrassed that you spend so much time there? Surely not.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

At that point in the thread they were the only person mentioning conspiracy theories.

Should I have said" they were the only person mentioning Conspiracy theories at that exact point"?

What is the cut off point for you? The word conspiracy hadn't been mentioned until they said it.

If you're going to be both pedantic and condescending you could give some consideration to what you yourself are stating as fact.

This is a prime example of the type of snarky nonsense the Conspiracy theories forum is renowned for.

Glazers Out!

At that point?

What you actually mean is that in so far as you had paid attention.

You made a claim on that thread that was mistaken, and now rather than acknowledge you were wrong?

It's because you hadn't read the 1st page?😂😂

What I'm "stating as fact", is both lain out in the thread you brought to the discussion and in your own doubling down on your position here.

Lol. Now trying to play ignorant.

Unfortunalately, your charactisation that "I live for discussing conspiracy theories" is false and insulting. Likewise that I would be somehow adversely affected by the closure of the conspiracy theory forum.

Perhaps rather than comment on me personally because you don't like me, you could address some of the points I've brought up?

°°°°°

Show me where conspiracy theories became the topic of conversation on that thread then.

One person alluded to it on the first page, but it wasn't being actively discussed.

It took a regular from the conspiracy theories forum to raise the topic in any overt manner.

I can understand you being upset that someone on your "side" could be made to look bad but the fact is conspiracy theories weren't on the agenda in that thread.

Carry on being belligerent by all means any rational person can see that you're being unreasonable.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

There was one particular thread where a poster repeatedly asked someone “What justification would they have to fake the space program” when the thread wasn’t even about the space program and the guy kept saying over and over again ad nauseam that he believed the space program was real.

To me this is not in good faith and just a blatant attempt to stifle any discussion.

°°°°°

Do you post on that forum regularly? Yes you do.

It's essentially the entirety of your boards.ie output. If you feel saying you live for posting there is insulting then I'm sorry that I caused you any anguish. The fact is you are very active there. Again how that is a personal attack is beyond me.

Do I detect a hint of a persecution complex perhaps?

Glazers Out!

One person didn't allude to it.

They stated it, it's in bold a few posts up. Yet that's ignored, along with the other posts that made allusions all made on the same day.

What's the cut off point for you?

Not reading the 1st page? Ignoring facts that don't fit the narrative you want to shape? When does it become ok to ignore one post laying out the CT but then blame someone else who mentions it for bringing it up?

As for belligerence? There's none on my part.

But, isn't it interesting that when it's pointed out to you that you're wrong, that an example is provided and that you choose to double down on that? That it's belligerence or some notion of defending my side you run to? I'm not on a side, yes I've often posted on the same side of a discussion as the poster you singled out. But we aren't buddies, we don't interact, there's no Skeptics payroll and my only particular interest in this aspect currently is the gymnastics you engage in.

That's it..

It's systematic..

It's obviously not in good faith..

It would appear to just be an attempt to stifle discussion..

• Advertisement

Lol. Good to know you're monitoring my posting habits.

So you didn't mean it as an insult. Cool.

You then agree it's a bit weird for people to accuse me and the other conspiracy theory doubters of "stifling discussion"?

Specially given how we've so many people here arguing for the forum to either have it's discussion stifled to protect the sensitivities of conspiracy theories or to close it down entirely.

Also, any chance you'll be commenting on my previous points or...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement