Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

They stated it and it was ignored. Conspiracy wasn't mentioned for another three full pages and when it was it was a conspiracy skeptic from the CT forum that raised it.

You're just being obtuse now.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It was the same day, the thread wasn't yet 1 day old. What's the cutoff?

You made a claim that was false, shown to be false and now you are moaning that because noone else discussed the 1st claim it wasn't an active topic? On a less than 1 day old thread...

Really? Why not just acknowledge you took a swing at a poster, that you were wrong and move on?

°°°°°

I don't think you're stifling discussion, I said as much in my first post replying to you.

I just don't t believe your crusade on that forum is any more valid than the people on the opposing sides.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Ok cool. Crusade is a bit of a stretch, but ok.

No comment on my points I've made on this thread then?

If not, we don't really have anything to discuss.

°°°°°

That poster stated that the conspiracy people would be along any minute.

The were wrong. They raised the topic in the most overt manner possible and they were told where to go.

There was no appetite for that discussion, surely they also missed the first page as well then?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

What points? That you're the victim of some sort of witch hunt?

Like I said you're all equally strange in that forum by any objective metric.

Glazers Out!

Sorry, no. This is a misrepresentation.

That simply isn't what the poster was being asked.

The poster was repeatedly asked "Can you think of a POSSIBLE reason for why they would fake the space program?". Saying that he personally did not subscribe to the theory is not an answer to that question at all.

The important point that was being asked was "If you can't think of a possible reason for a conspiracy, does this mean that you are arguing that conspiracies don't exist or governments are unwilling to commit them".

Did you not read that part of the posts?

Did you also not read the part where the poster in question accused people of arguing a point they didn't? And where he was constantly demanding a live video debate about ... something?

They may have done, I don't know. I wouldn't assume to speak for them, much less use their post as an effort to bemoan the state of the CT forum. But given they were replying to 2nd page post as their own 1st post? I doubt it.

However the post that your target responded too? Is IMO very much a CT post, its the usual means of introducing remote control or similar as the hijack pilots couldn't possibly have flown with enough skill to hit the building. Indeed if they could, how did they miss the pentagon.

From just reading back on the thread, even before your own 1st post on the thread question...

The CT'ers were posting even before your target made his PSA. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet regarding them and a blindness to the other mentions of similar.

Why is that?

Lol. Perhaps you should read the thread then? You seem to have made a habit of rushing into threads to have a go at people without reading them properly.

That's not the point I was making nor did I ever claim that.

The points I made are here:

Any comment?

From anyone arguing that the forum should be altered or closed?

°°°°°

I've already stated that the closure of the CT forum wouldn't be a bad thing. I said it in my first post on this thread.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Saying that the maneuvers used to crash into the targets on 9/11 were difficult to accomplish is a conspiracy theory? That's the crux of your argument?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Why would he need to justify a reason when he kept saying over and over he didn’t believe that conspiracy. It’s a bad faith attempt on your own part to muddy the waters and make the guy look like a loon who didn’t believe in the space program.

It's never you is it?

No, it's not the crux. It's an example, like the other ones given to you already from the same thread that demonstrate that CT was already live on the thread before you took a swing at a particular poster l

Why can't you admit being incorrect, over reacting and then doubling down?

Also, what's the cut off? Is it same day post? Next day? Do days not matter if the threade passes 2 pages?

Given you posted on page 2 of that thread? Why did you ignore the original CT guff yet jump on your target?

Is it personal? Do you not like them?

°°°°°

That poster was suggesting that there would be an influx of conspiracy supporting users taking over that thread, as if boards.ie is awash with that sort of stuff, it isn't. The thread didn't go that way (much to their chagrin no doubt) and their assertion was in itself showing a belief in a ridiculous notion with no basis in reality, so. Etching they surely would happily show up for being patently ridiculous themselves.

They were wrong to say that. Did I miss one post alluding to conspiracy? Yeah, maybe because it was so inconsequential (nobody made much of an issue of it bar one reply saying "we've got a live one here").

What I don't like is the holier than thou attitude some regular CT forum users have, and the co descending attitude they display along side it.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Relax. Typically when 9/11 related threads appear on the After Hours forum, they usually descend into all the conspiracy stuff. I recently read a thread, already noticed a mention of a conspiracy on the first page and preemptively wrote that conspiracy theorists would be along. That didn't happen, good.

I suspect the real reason you got riled up about it is because of personal spats you've had on the conspiracy forum (if I recall correctly ironically siding with a Holocaust denier), which does lead onto the point that if that forum were to become a safe space, not only will conspiracy believers abuse it, but all the contrarians will also flood in, even those who don't believe what they are saying, just to "stick it to the sceptics" or troll or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

I disagree with the characterisation of anti-conspiracy posters as simply "challenging views" and I've already said why.

Swamping threads with lists of questions, treating everywhere as a hostile witness and not allowing discussions to develop naturally makes the forum pointless.

I have good back-and-forths on the COVID forum where I am challenging "official science" but dealing often in hunches where I don't have a litany of evidence to back up every thought.

I hope mods can make some kind of change but hey whatever it's just an internet forum.

You know what, I agree with you regarding the PSA. It's not what I would've done.

But my own issue on that tangent is that you took that issue, that you were incorrect in claiming they were 1st to mention on thread addressed it on that thread despite being mistaken and then used it as an example here and doubled down on it.

I don't know how they felt about the discussion stopping on the topic? I'm glad it did, that thread certainly wasn't the place for it but that said?

I'd certainly agree with countering it's introduction, both as a reason for the attack or a reason drifting off what was a worthy topic.

Your own issue with that poster blinded any point you were trying to make when you introduced that thread as a point here tbh. You were blind to others both overtly and subtly linking CT and used that thread as a chance to make an attack on the poster. That you did that, and complain about holier than thou attitudes is more than a touch hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"not allowing discussions to develop naturally makes the forum pointless."

How do you have a "discussion" when one side repeatedly refuses to discuss? Again we have a simple issue here of

A: Makes claim

B: Asks for A's evidence for said claim

A then refuses to engage, dodges all questions and repeats claim. That's not a discussion.

If you think what I am saying is incorrect then you obviously have never read the CT threads.

Personal gripes and spats and grievances aside. These are public discussion forums, people should be free to post their views and people should be free to challenge them. For example, there's an old thread on vaccinations on After Hours where some individuals are expressing anti-vaccination views, and those views are being challenged. It would of course be ridiculous to "shut down the forum" or create a safe space for one side just because one side doesn't want to engage in normal, honest debate/discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

There you are mentioning discussion again, yet you are one of the people trying to prevent it. That’s a little odd.

• Advertisement

Because he ran into the thread arguing that other posts held a position they did not. The questions he was being asked were to highlight the flaw in his argument.

Did you miss that part or...?

°°°°°

I recall that thread where you and Kingmob were beating the holocaust denial drum against a poster who had stated repeatedly they were not a holocaust denier (the argument was that they're inclusion of non Jewish people as victims of the holocaust was not accurate in your and Kingmobs views), in the end I believe there was a climb down by Kingmob if not yourself on that thread.

But thanks for outlining what my problem with you and your cronies actually is. You are a bunch of condescending people who happily sling mud at anyone.

Glazers Out!

But this isn't an accurate characterisation.

You're saying that threads are being swamped with "lists of questions". This isn't true.

Half the time posts with one or two questions are being characterised as this.

And we've yet to see anyone explain why the questions "What do you believe?" and "why do you believe" are so taxing and unacceptable.

No it wouldn't be ridiculous. It would be the honest thing to do or else ban certain posters.

Neither the anti-vaccine/pro-vaccine thread on After Hours nor the COVID forums are a troll circus. The CT forum is.

Highlighting this.

We keep hearing that conspiracy theorists are only there for discussion.

Yet none of the people complaining have acknowledged that this stuff outlined above happens.

Not really an answer to any of my points. But ok.

I disagree. There might be two or three posters replying to one post who instead of engaging with a point ask two or three questions each, often of tangential relevance.

In the Great Reset thread you began patronisingly insulting me when I asked you to narrow your line of inquiry to something manageable - you implied you had to dumb it down for me.

No one is going to put up with that. I reported your post but you were not warned by a Mod (as far as I'm aware) and I rightly refused to engage any further.

Of course then you can claim that posters have run away, forgetting that you are not the personal owner of each thread setting the agenda and demanding to be satisfied.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So honest question.

Do you want a forum where conspiracy theories cannot be questioned?

Okay, then report posters if you believe they are trolling. Posters are regularly carded (and banned) on that forum.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement