Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Christmas Day a public holiday in 2021?

Options
  • 17-09-2021 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi.

I've recently been told by my employer that the I'm not getting 2 public holiday days for Christmas this year as it occurs at the weekend. After checking online, I found this from the Irish statute book (http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/33/section/8/enacted/en/html):

8.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this section, each of the following days shall, in respect of all workers, be for the purposes of this Act, a public holiday;

(a) Christmas Day when it falls on a weekday or, when it falls on a Sunday, the 27th day of December,

(b) St. Stephen's Day when it falls on a weekday or, when it falls on a Sunday, the next following Monday,

So, if I'm understanding correctly, if Christmas Day is on a Sunday, it's moved to the 27th, and we get the usual two holiday days; but if St Stephen's Day is the Sunday, it's moved to the following Monday, and the Christmas Day holiday is lost. That seems a bit strange to me. Are there any legal experts who can comment on this?

Thanks.

Comments

Advertisement