Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing suitable TV Provider

Options
  • 19-09-2021 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Having issues finding suitable TV Provider.

Was with Sky but had to move because they wouldn’t/couldn’t delete channels not appropriate for my ADHD child. I know I could set a PIN but that caused conflict in the house with child.

Anyway switched to Bye Bye TV bills which solved one problem.

But now a lot of channels don’t have a signal and they say it’s €120 call out charge.

Surely in this day and age I can get a reliable provider and only have the channels we want. We also would like the ability to record like we could with Sky Box.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

This may be better in the TV forum.

We've a Freeview box. Tune in all the channels you want or take them all and just delete those you don't want. We record to a memory stick and external hard drive with ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd agree with Jim in that it's perhaps a query more for the TV forum.

The providers are in general geared towards providing packages, not deletion or restriction from their EPG of same. As you've found with Sky they will allow channel restriction but not deletion.

The "easiest" way to manage your channel list is via a Freeview setup, but that has limitations too as many setups won't allow pay-tv.

I don't have the same reasons for seeking control of a channel list as the OP. But I have been using Enigma2 receivers for my satellite TV for many years which has this functionality as a default.

I would caveat that advice though, with confirmation that the days of legally being able to watch Sky on Enigma2 are long past.

Others in the TV forum may have far more up to date info on options than may be available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Vodafone allow you to select only the channels you want in your EPG. I'm pretty sure the others don't come up when scrolling either

Actually a thought just occured to me re byebyebills TV. Are they providing the service via a Freeview box and dish?

It may well be that the dish has taken a slip and is slightly out of alignment, or that the LNB has an issue. A local satellite installer would sort that at @ hahalf the cost of the price quoted in the OP.

If you are in the Limerick/Midwest area I could recommend someone via pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭jos_kel

No I’m Lucan, Co. Dublin.

Where can I get a list of local satellite installers?

• Advertisement

Few simple questions.

1. What does EPG stand for?
    2. Are Vodafone really a TV provider? Will check them out?

Google, the yellow pages and other directories. Also take a look here. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/155714/satellite-shops-both-online-and-bricks-mortar#latest and https://www.boards.ie/categories/satellite

EPG is Electronic Programme Guide, it's the technical name for the channel list.

Vodafone do provide TV but as part of their broadband package.

Rang Vodafone TV today.

I asked the first person could unwanted channels be deleted.

He said they could be deleted.

Then I was transferred to another person to complete the order. At the end I asked to confirm once again that channels could be deleted.

They put me on hold while they checked.

They said their colleague said channels couldn’t be deleted as it was a package.

They agreed I could ask the installation engineer.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You don't delete them but you remove them from your EPG and they don't appear on the guide or when you're scrolling. I have removed all the movie and sports channels I don't subscribe to but if, for example, I type in 301, I'll get Sky Movies with "you are not subscribed to this channel". It doesn't appear on my guide and if scrolling it skips it too.

Ok so basically if my son knows the channel number he can access it.

• Advertisement

Vodafone have told me they can’t remove programs from the EPG so canceling the order.

Need a TV provider where I can hide specific channels from kids

Just get a freesat set up and delete the channels you don't want yourself. We had over 200 channels and pared it back to the 40 that we watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That is effectively what they have now, just in need of dish realignment most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Buy a Freesat box. They can record like sky and there's not likely to be any ropey channels you'd need to block

What is a freesat box and where can I get it?

I currently have the Bye Bye tv bills box. Is that freesat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081H9FY6H/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_C0Q6A4B8KZNDTXD6RZ53

Bye bye TV bills is just freesat. Get a local satellite guy to have a look at what's wring with your existing dish and box. You seem to have what you need already.

Thanks.

Bye Bye TV Bills said it would cost a call out fee of €125 to sort out dish.

Are you saying a local satellite guy will do if for less and where do I get a list of local satellite guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭KaneToad

It sounds to me like you already have a dish? If so, it is pointing to the Astra 28.2 satellite. This is the source of all your free channels. A full list of them is here:

You can run a scan on your system. It will pick up all those channels. You can delete the ones you don't want. If you want to just leave BBC, ITV & Ch4., then you can.

You say that some of the channels are gone now. This can be for several different reasons:

1) dish has moved slightly

2) sometimes the channels change their frequency and a retuning/rescan of your system is required

3) LNB has moved/ is failing. The LNB is the white (or black!) thing that points at the dish.

If I were you, I would try a rescan to see if that brings back any of the missing channels. This doesn't need a technician to call out. It is very much a DIY job. If you're not confident/competent with it yourself, I'd wager there is a teenager (neighbour/nephew/cousin) who would be well able for it.

You'll need to get into the settings menu of your set top box, using the remote control. Then you'll want to find something like 'Blind Scan'...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Bye Bye TV Bills are just satellite installers with a fancy name. Any half decent installer should be able to resolve your problem without changing your equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You just have a Freesat setup installed for you by a branded company

Ask on your local Facebook groups for local installers. Or ask BBTVB what they include for the fee - €125 is high for a callout charge - but if it includes the cost of a replacement box/dish/LNB/some cabling if those are damaged, its actually fine.

Most likely your dish has moved slightly in the wind, which is a few minutes work - but it could be any number of other issues too.

Advertisement