Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oppenheimer (Christopher Nolan)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

By all accounts a very good film. However, as every time l tune into the news, we are one step closer to WW3 kicking off in th Ukraine, or large parts of the globe are in a climate change oven, or some other imminent disaster is set to befall us, l think l’ll give it a miss. I don’t think my frayed nerves could take it. Some light harmless entertainment will do, Barbie might fit the bill….😏

Booked tickets for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

An utterly incredible cinematic experience that should see Nolan, Murphy and RDJ Sniffing around gold statues come February.

It is an intense experience though, not something you pop into to kill a few hours, make sure you're mentally and physically committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Joe Chang

I'm waiting for another masterpiece from Nolan. I know some people didn't like it but I like this biopic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Myself and some friends have tickets booked to see this in the BFI Imax in London next week! Looking forward to it, always wanted to see a Nolan film in full IMAX film presentation. Gonna make a weekend out of it in London too 😄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No difference in overall colour presentation between any of the formats - the film is colour, but some scenes are black & white.

The major presentation difference is that 70mm IMAX (IMAX only - not standard 70mm) switches aspect ratios at particular times during the film. This is because proper IMAX screens have a unique aspect ratio - the switch means some scenes will fully cover the screen space, although some viewers find the switching distracting. All other presentations should have a fixed aspect ratio.

If you're watching it in Ireland, nothing to worry about as there's no 70mm IMAX. Full info here though FYI:

OPPENHEIMER was shot using a combination of 5-perf 65mm and 15 perf IMAX FILM. When presented on 70mm IMAX, the sequences shot on 15 perf IMAX are printed full quality in their native format - the highest quality imaging format ever devised, offering ten times the resolution of standard formats, and filling the giant IMAX screens from top to bottom. The 5-perf 65mm sequences fill the IMAX screen side-to-side. The finished picture is fully analogue and switches between the 2.20:1 and 1.43:1 aspect ratios throughout the film. This is combined with an IMAX uncompressed 5.0 digital sound mix for the most immersive presentation of the film.

The Digital Cinema IMAX digital presentation has been created from 8k scans of the original film elements, graded specifically for the high contrast dual-projector IMAX digital projectors, before being scaled to 4K resolution and packaged with the uncompressed IMAX 5.0 sound mix of the film.

When presented on regular 70mm film, the sequences shot on 5-perf 65mm are presented in their native format, the IMAX sequences have been optically reduced to 70mm 5-perf film to produce a grain-free, ultra-high resolution image, cropped top and bottom to fill the wider frame. This process is photochemical, preserving the original analog color of the imagery and presented in a 2.2:1 aspect ratio. The sound is carried on a separate DTS disc to produce state-of-the-art 6-track digital sound.

The 35mm prints have been made photochemically, preserving all the rich analog color of the original 65mm photography, and cropped top and bottom to create a seamless 2.35:1 anamorphic image. The sound is coded on the prints in Dolby SR as well as Dolby 5.1 and DTS for 6-track digital playback.

The Digital Cinema presentation of OPPENHEIMER has been created from 8k scans of the photochemically color-graded film elements, scaled to 4K, fine-tuned in the digital realm to maximize the color and contrast attributes of digital projectors, and dust-busted to achieve the cleanest and most stable image presentation possible. The film was finished in 4k for the highest digital resolution currently available.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I can't be the only one that kinda hates this IMAX bullshit?

Pick a bloody ratio and stick with it. This shifting ratios is a nonsensical gimmick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I agree somewhat. In the couple of dozen 70mm IMAX theatres that exist, it's good to take advantage of the taller screen. And given the difficulties recording sound with the antiquated IMAX format, switching aspect ratios is the only way to do that. However the rest of the time I really don't like it. There's no reason for all these non-Nolan digital IMAX films to be switching aspect ratios especially on home video. Nolan really backed the wrong horse with IMAX who have just used him to promote their proprietary digital formats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's definitely an impressive spectacle when on a proper 70mm IMAX screen - it's pretty overwhelming in terms of the scale and clarity you get when it goes full screen. But that's not going to be replicated on any other kind of display - either a standard cinema screen or a home display.

I have no problem with mid-film aspect ratio changes when it's done with a particular thematic or aesthetic purpose in mind (e.g. Wes Anderson's more recent films). But the IMAX switch is purely for spectacle, and only really works when you have the canvas for that pure spectacle. It's just distracting on Blu-Ray in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 St. Pat

I booked two tickets for blanch imax tomorrow at 4pm. Unfortunately I can't go now and selling for cost. DM if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just seen it. Certainly not the best or most enjoyable film I have seen this year. I would say its at least 40 minutes too long too. Maybe I just did not understand a lot of it. I found it very bloated. Also it was just too loud it made it hard to hear what they were saying sometimes. I will watch it again on DVD with subtitles when it comes out. Untill then I would only give it a 5 out of 10. Looking Forward to Barbie next week now. I know I will enjoy it more.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Had it been more than an hour of those beautiful pictures and body rattling sounds it would have been one of the greatest films ever shown in a cinema

But it was a terrible let down

but he will win an Oscar for that performance and it’s deserved

Absolutely fantastic movie. Just out from the iSense. Will be winning lots of awards. Big movie in scope and ambition, and delivers in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Shank Williams

This will be pretty divisive

lots of restless people around me in the cinema

i thought it was very good but knew a lot of thebackground

not sure what I’d gain by going to see it in imax - there’s not much in the way of large scale spectacle? 1 scene really

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

The budget for Oppenheimer is only 100 million that's actually low for a Nolan movie at this stage in his career.

I would have expected the movie to have cost at least 200 million.

I wonder if the low budget (by Hollywood standards) has anything to do with Tenet flopping ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just back from seeing it. I liked it. Very much from a watching a story of history and parts of a mans life being told.

Saw it in the IMAX. Would say it doesn't particularly need a great screen. Nothing I felt a big screen lent to.

The sound though.. they did the sound well so a good set of speakers in the screen would help. Not the chest beating sound from Dune but pretty strong in spots for sure.

Fierce all star cast. Each scene just full of people to recognise.

Where did you see it ?

We don't have Proper 70mm IMAX in Ireland.

I've seen 70mm IMAX and was blown away by it but for the digital "IMAX" screen they have in Dublin's Cineworld isn't worth the extra ticket price IMO.

• Advertisement

Saw it in the Cineworld IMAX in Dublin.

Wouldn't say I could see anything in the film that shouted it needed any special screen at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Just back from watching it. Not exactly a barrel of laughs. Some great acting and I think it will benefit from a rewatch.

The more you know about the scientists and the history of the Manhattan project and McCarthyism the more you'll get from it. I know some of it definitely went over my head

Yeah that screen doesn't impress me at all its not even in the Proper IMAX aspect ratio.

They shouldn't be allowed to call it "IMAX".

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I know some of it definitely went over my head

The same here.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I'd say probably the parts of the film story that tie it together might be the parts that lose some viewers.

It can work from an emotional and spectacle movie in places and as a whole but also yeah the history, the biography, the politics, the physics, the quantum physics, the differences between physics and quantum physics.. might have it feeling a bit dragged for some viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Just out from it.

I should have read a book about the subject as I knew next to nothing. I'd advise even reading his wiki page just to give you something.

No doubt a great movie if you know the subject matter.

Long....very long

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

will be a possible Oscar for cillian or Rob Downey Jnr...an hour too long...was like watching paint dry for last hour of it...

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭staples7

Advertisement