Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ultimate size of skimmia

Options
  • 21-09-2021 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

Hi

most places on the net give skimmia an ultimate HxS of around 1 metre but in the gardens I see them in many are 1.5/2m high. Are there bigger varieties or do the standard varieties grow to this size. Also I know (think) you need a nearby male to pollinate a female to get berries - my next door neighbour has berries on her skimmia, I presume that means I should get berries on one if I grow a female.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've never seen them much bigger than a metre. You can get bisexual species.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Ok thanks Jim - maybe its a different shrub I’ve seen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

No you're not seeing things, 40 to 50 yr old skimmia will easily reach 2 metres, ultimate heights are just a guide and probably more an indication of what you can expect after 10 yrs.

Yep if you plant a female it should produce berries fine on it's own, they usually get pollinated ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

That makes sense (old shrub compared to 10 years old)

Advertisement