Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can school force me as parent to wear mask on the outside school grounds when collecting kids?

• 21-09-2021 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everybody. I hope You are well. This is my first thread so I am not really sure, what I am doing :-) but I have a question. Can I be asked by the school as a parent to wear a mask when dropping off and collecting my kids, even when I am not even entering the school building at all and am solemnly only on outside school grounds? I thought that outdoor Ireland is mask free zone. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

No-one can "force you" but why wouldn't you want to do so in such a crowded area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

The guidance is that you don't have to wear a mask outdoors if you can maintain appropriate space. The problem with schools/creches is that there are a lot of people outside at the one point in time so appropriate space might be difficult to maintain, hence the request for wearing masks. I haven't heard of a school or creche not asking parents to wear masks at the gates in order to help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 czeqman

Thank You all for all Your inputs. I didn't really want to discuss my grounds and reasons for not wanting to wear the mask. I just wanted to ask if school teachers, plus school notice says parents have to wear masks when collecting kids, if I have to obey to this order? Many thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Our school requests this so does the creche.

Obviously it made alot more sense last year before adults were vaccinated.

It's a small request I don't really see the issue with it.

Why don't you want to wear one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They dont force you they ask you to . Would be nice if people tried to do as asked

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Our school requests it.The teachers and principal bring the smaller classes out and are masked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Deeec

Noone can force you to wear a mask but surely its just easier to comply and wear a mask for everyones safety. Its a small request by the school really - wearing a mask isnt going to hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How solemn are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well to be honest it doesn't really matter what a bunch of randomers on the internet say.

The school sets the policy.

If you have an issue wearing a mask flag it with the school explain your situation. It's coming into winter so you could meet them halfway and wear a scarf covering your mouth and nose. Stand back away from other parents don't approach any teachers or other staff etc.

I've a medical condition that exempts me from wearing one but I still wear a mask, which makes my life infinitely harder, but at the end of the day life is too short for unnecessary drama.

Pick your battles as they say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement