Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continental GP4000s have been fine, should I get GP5000s?

Options
  • 21-09-2021 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I've had a pair of 25 mm GP4000s for thousands of km and they've been great. No nicks or cuts on the tread or sidewall, and no punctures except a pinch flat.

There's still a good bit of life in them but I want to get 28 mm tyres for more comfort.

Opinions on the 5000s are divided ("dirt" was one of the more pithy descriptions on here).

My question is this - if the 4000s have worked well for me, are the 5000s likely to do so as well?

I don't mind fixing the odd puncture but I really don't want to be stuck up at Sally Gap in winter with a blown sidewall and the sun going down.

These would be clinchers btw, not tubeless (tubeful?)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Used to use 4000s. Moved to 5000 after they were discontinued around a year ago. Now have them on three sets of wheels. No noticeable difference with 4000s. Two punctures in that time, neither of which was the tyre's fault (pinches).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I used 4000s for 5+ years with only one failure - sidewall cut on a tyre less than 500km old! and have moved to 5000 now and only had one puncture after I hit a pothole on a group spin a few weeks ago. I'd say its hard to find 4000s these days.

Note if you're looking for 5000s, cheapest I've found is alltricks.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well I tend to go more robust for winter (gp 4 seasons normally), but 25mm GP5000 on my front wheel got around Grass Routes Gran Fondo. I had 25mm on GP4000 on the rear tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

I measured my 25mm 4000s and they are actually 27mm on a 17mm internal width rim. Apparently the 5000s run true to size so I'd only be goin up 1mm with 28s which hardly seems worth it until the 4000s are worn out. Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement