Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a dog in a camper

• 21-09-2021 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

While I never leave my dog in a car {apart from going into the shop to pay for petrol), is it safe to leave one in a camper for 30min to an hour?

We are going camping for 5 days, campsites are fine with the dog etc, but is it safe to leave her in the camper one night while we get a nice meal, realistically less than an hour and the weather is cool at the moment so she wouldn't get too hot.

The roof has pop up windows which will be open.

I'm not afraid of anyone breaking into the camper as she is a GSD who is smart enough not to go anywhere with a stranger, she is also well behaved so won't be barking or doing anything destructive. Cooker etc is disabled by a switch.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

With fresh air, water and food, I can't see why she wouldn't be ok for that length assuming you're confident she won't wreck the place.

I'd be more worried that someone would take advantage of the open windows and break into the camper and hurt your dog while you're away.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Somepeople

The windows are on the roof and the inside has two cameras that I can check on my phone. Camper would be outside the restaurant.

No she won't cause any destruction. Never did anything bad inside the house and is generally well behaved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It really depends on the dog. People bring their dog to France on the ferry, leaving them in their vehicles except for short feeding/exercise/toilet breaks on a trip taking anywhere between 14 and 20 hours. Some dogs can get very distressed by this while others take it in their stride.

Nobody here can tell that your dog will or will not be ok, you know your dog best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My friend drives to work in her camper so she can bring her dog to work and play ball with him/let him run around on her breaks. If she didn't he'd be home alone for 8+ hours. I gather the camper doesn't get warm like the car does, this is the reason she brings the camper to work rather than the car. Its not every day, there are three of them watch each others dogs and its just when all their time tables clash. She's never had any issue but she has a small dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I camp a lot & the one time I did have to leave for a very good reason, the campsite owners checked the dogs. Would this be an option? Generally though we do take away foods because of the dogs.

If the Camper is parked outside the restaurant I'd be more wary of it being broken into, no matter what the breed was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

We had a dog 'festival' in Enniscrone last weekend and had dinner out with loads of friends on the Saturday night, 8 campers in the car Park outside with dogs in, no problems at all.

If your dog is used to the van there shouldn't be any issue, it's an extension of home.

I just draw all the curtains, if it's daytime I put the thermal covers on the windscreen and leave the roof vent open.

Thanks everyone.

We brought her off yesterday morning and arrived home this evening to see how she got on with a small trip in the camper.

She absolutely loved it but it wrecked her. The two restaurants we went to were quiet and had no problem with her sitting, well sleeping, beside us for outdoor dining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

It was great fun, keep an eye out for it next September, The Wild Atlantic Wag

• Advertisement
Advertisement