Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1977 Ford Cortina Mk.IV

Options
  • 21-09-2021 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone. Hoping someone may be able to help me out. After 12 years of ownership, the father has decided to sell the Cortina. He bought it, well, 12 years ago from someone in Ireland. I don't believe it's a UK import, and he bought it with just under 20k genuine miles on the clock. Everything was and still is mint, down to the shag carpet on the doors. Since then, he has maintained it extremely well, and there's no rust that I'm aware of, having had it cleaned and sprayed at one point I believe.

There's only shy of 60k miles on it now, and it's the 2.0 Ghia model. Thing is, I'm unable to find another one for sale. The best I could find is one sold in the UK in July for £4800 at auction, but it had 109k miles and the interior dash looked a bit rough. Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of these and could give a rough price, or advice if price discussion can't be done. I know the market is strong right now for selling, and I don't want him getting screwed over (pretty sure this is the funeral fund!).

Oh, it's that lovely metallic brown colour and is basically this car. Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

There is a very strong following for cortina’s in Ireland….

there is usually quite a few for sale on dd

Have a look here https://www.facebook.com/cortinaireland/, make contact and it will be sold v. Quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dramabob

Mark IVs are probably the rarest of the remaining Cortinas, as their rustproofing was brutal. So a Mark IV Ghia with legit low mileage and in the condition you're describing will fetch a tidy sum. I'd suggest staying away from sites like Adverts or DoneDeal as you're very likely to get a lot of tyre-kickers and best price merchants. I've advertised a few classics there myself, but almost always ended up selling through a club contact.

Loads of interest in Cortinas out there - two biggest groups are probably the Cortina Club of Ireland and Cortina Enthusiasts Ireland. Both have FB groups, and both would have knowledgeable members who know what they're looking at and what it's worth.

If you were asking me, if your car is in the condition you've described, I can't see it selling for less than €8k to the right buyer.

Advertisement