Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to keep Irish Number?

Options
  • 22-09-2021 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all,

Would appreciate some help here. I moved to NI in January, and I want to keep my Irish number around for another while. I'm still discovering accounts that are tied to this phone number for verification.

To make sure I don't lose my irish number, every 6 months or so I've been topping up the number on the pre pay plan I was on to keep it active. Is there a better way of doing this so that I don't lose the number? Can I just receive a phone call or text every couple of months to keep my number active and owned by me?

Thanks,

Daniel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

I have a SIM in an IOT device that doesn't need to make calls or do data. It only needs to send an occasional text. I use an Eir PAYG SIM and top it up once every 6 months with €5. I think it will last a bit more than 6 months for incoming service only, but €10 per year is acceptable to me. European Roaming rules allow operators to cut off customers who are doing long-term roaming. If you never plan to bring your SIM back to ROI you may find that your operator will kill it, even if you are topping up. Eir is the only operator to allow WiFi calling from abroad. If you use an Eir SIM, and put your phone in airplane mode, and then switch on WiFi so you can make and receive calls over WiFi, then Eir won't regard your phone as roaming. This might be the safest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 buzz77

EIR WiFi calling is not available for PAYG, so you will need to go for cheapest SIM-only plan which is EUR 15/month I guess.

European Roaming rules only mention that Service Providers are allowed to extra charge after extended periods of roaming use, there is no mention that they are allowed to cut service. But I guess European Roaming Rules do not apply when roaming to UK/NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭lordsheepface

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Three is the only network that doesn't require a top-up every so often AFAIK. Just need to make a chargeable use at least once every six months.

So top-up by a fiver and send a text @ 15c every six months and that should keep your SIM active for many years.

Advertisement