Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Clothing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Short answer is no. You can't stay dry and not sweaty while cycling in winter.

In winter, you dress to stay warm/sweaty. the best option is to carry dry clothes in a bag and change into them when you reach your destination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Bluejohn1

I’d just wear something that drys quick and is breathable.

I’ve a 15km each way. Summer/autumn I just wear bib shorts and gym like t shirt, if cold a base layer. If you get wet you’re wet. When it gets colder I have longer thermal bibs, base layer and decent rain jacket(galibier foul weather jacket). Jeans t shirt and much are in the pannier rack bags. Luckily radiator beside the desk so I wear what drys quick when the weather is dog ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I just change when I get there. I have access to showers, but I'd get away with baby wipes/ flannel.

If that's not an option, I'd probably look at quick dry hiking gear (although not very warm in my experience).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

One thing I wear in winter and find very good is a windproof hat that fits inside the helmet. This type of thing.

Vaude Bike Windproof Cap III - Cycling cap | Buy online | Bergfreunde.eu

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Aside from a decent jacket, what I would recommend most of all for winter is shoe covers e.g. these and a decent pair of gloves for when the weather gets cold (I use these but they have thicker ones)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

In my opinion, rainproof overtrousers are a godsend in the really heavy rain - https://eurocycles.com/altura-nightvision-3-waterproof-overtrouser/

As for dry from rain and not sweaty, i had the most success wearing a good quality rainproof jacket and overtrousers, and something light underneath (shorts and tshirt). Full change of clothes needed when you get to work though. Jeans are a non-runner really

Advertisement