Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Allergy?

• 23-09-2021 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Hope this is the right forum,if not mods please advise

Is anyone else in Ireland suffering with these at present?

Ear ache,

Back of Roof of mouth where it meets the nose sore/Stinging, sore

Red eyes, itchy eyelids and inside of nasal passages slightly sore

These have been on going for about 3 weeks and is very very uncomfortable

Surely its too late now for Hay fever? Anyone else suffering? OR did anyone ever experience these symptoms and what did it turn out to be?

Post edited by Steve F on

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Weed pollen is in decline around now, https://www.met.ie/forecasts/pollen

Hayfever isn't just grass pollen, tree pollen is a big deal and a lot of weeds too towards autumn. If you're really unlucky, there's ivys later in the year, so you can go ~11mo of the year w/ hayfever if your immune cells really hate you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

Welcome to my world, getting avamys via subscription service :D

This year was a strange year, allergies didn't kick in fully until July. To compensate it is still going, while usually stops mid of August. (How I feel it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Thanks for the answers.

Do my symptoms sound like Allergies?

Thanks for the answers.

Do my symptoms sound like Allergies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Apart from the ear ache, yes. There seems to be a nerve connection between the outer ear canal and upper back throat so an itchy throat can also reflect as an itchy ear - so that might be what you mean. I think allergies at the moment might be in response to black mold and other fungi releasing spores due to the time of year and high humidity.

Interestingly, earlier this year, Dutch researchers announced they had identified a new organ that forms part of the immune system, located at the back of the throat where the nasal passage meets, which is where my alergy mostly goes berserk. Now I know why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

Does sound like allergies (except perhaps for the ear ache).

I haven't been affected recently but that's because I have an annual injection that suppresses it.

Google "allergic rhinitis".

Get some allergy pills from the chemist. Costs about €7 for a box.

Try them to see if the symptoms ease.

Fantastic information Guys.

I took Clarityn for about Five or Six Days but unfortunately the symptoms didn't seem to ease. I might get checked with the GP next week...but getting an appointment is no where as easy as pre Covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

Do you have health insurance?

Usually there is an option for an online video doc service and normally same day appointments.

I've used it several times in the past year. Cheaper and less hassle than going to a GP surgery depending on the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Mod note

Careful now !

Medical advice is not allowed here and this is getting close to if not crossing that line

Rob

Hi again

Man!! Is anyone else still suffering with stinging,pricking eyes that are inflamed,soreness at back of nose/throat.

Was at GP and he gave me fucithalmic eye ointment and Amoxicillin for the throat but no improvement.

Suely its too late now for allergies?

Off to the ophthalmologist tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

I have hayfever which has been getting worse as the the years go by. I was put on 2 steroids (1 spray and 1 tablet) to manage them and they were great as the over the counter stuff stopped working. I started to wein myself off them about 2 weeks ago as I thought I was done for the year, however, my red eyes, runny nose, regular sneezing and sore nose/throat had different ideas.. 🙄 I expect its some thing to do with the weather being very mild at present

Hey thanks for the reply.

Every week that goes by I'm beginning to think that it is some sort of allergy and not infection as the ointment and oral antibiotics made absolutely no difference to throat and bloodshot eyes ...itchy lids and eyes. Mad to think I'm in my late 50's and possibly developed an allergy to something ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Could be nutritional deficiency specially B9. My grandma usually had lamb/cow liver once a week to balance that up.

You can get claritin tablets over the counter to try. Claritin is a low drowsiness anti-histamine. Taking just one would tell you if it's an alergy or not.

How's everyone's allergies today?

Eyes stinging,Back of Nose and palate sore and itching...what allergen is high at present?😐️

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Grass pollen the one thats high right now

I used the Weather channel app which is good for listing the allergens and pollutants high at a given time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭boardlady

That Avamys spray someone above suggested is great. My husband was constantly choked up for months on end each year - from about April to October. He finally got to the gp about it and was prescribed this. He describes it as 'life changing'!

Advertisement