Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art Therapy Masters

Options
  • 23-09-2021 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have tried to do a Masters in Art Therapy for a few years now, but always the same issue arises, funding. I secured a place on the Belfast course , MSC in Art Psychotherapy , but this course , although full time in work load ( 90 credits) has been renamed as a Part time course , therefore no Susi funding for fees or maintenance. And the Back to Education Allowance is only for full time courses , (not in Northern Ireland). Part time education option only covers a course a year long or less. And due to the one day on campus and two in placement . staying on a social welfare payment not possible either as not available for work. so I sadly had to give up my place as I just couldn't see a way round it. The tutors claim you could still work whilst studying , but I don't see how if the work load is full time. Maybe a part time job , but this wouldn't cover normal living costs plus travel expenses from Sligo to Belfast weekly, plus weekly therapy (a requirement of the course), and any other expenses. I am stumped !

I then saw the Crawford college opened up applications again for the course in Cork. I thought , ah great because they have a full time option, so Susi is possible for a grant . But when I looked into it , you can get fees , yes and maintenance of up to 5900 for the college year , but that works out at about 160 euro per week to live on, travel to Cork, stay a night there (2 college days, 2 placement days), and go to weekly therapy . Part time is one college day and one placement day , but again no Susi funding for this .... No Back to Education Allowance for any course that isn't teaching.

Am I missing something? How do people do it ? The fees are one thing , could possibly get a loan for that , but the living money is the biggest issue...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Im in second year of the masters in Belfast. Its a very intense course, its more full time than part time and goes on though out the Summer months. Im working 4 days a week while doing the course, Im on campus one day a week and do my placement in the evenings and on the weekends. Ive not had to take out a loan, I saved for a few years before starting to cover fees and my job is whats keeping afloat financially.

This is generally the case for everyone else on the course, theres a small number of people not working while studying but for example there are nurses and social care workers on the course, they come into college or go to placement straight after a night shift of work, some of the students have jobs and their own children while studying. Its hard work, no doubt about that but if you really want something you make it happen.

Advertisement