Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a scam

Options
  • 23-09-2021 12:34pm

. Flyer in door of elderly relative for steam cleaning drives roof restoration painting

only a mobile number first name contact. the website has no email address and no contacts form. It says nationwide service and their location is Ireland

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Of course. The hiace van will turn up and there will be no comeback. Any official company will have a VAT number, name, address, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

My policy is to never engage with anyone who calls to the door or drops in a flyer. Some may be genuine but there have been too many occasions when they have duped people. I've finally trained my parents to not speak to anyone who calls to the door, for whatever reason, collecting for charity, etc. If there's a job needs doing, I'd rather research who to get myself and ask for recommendations. It's not worth the risk. It might be interesting to find out if any other houses got the same flyer or was it just elderly people living on their own received them?

• Don’t engage with them. If a service is needed, check out a suitable company/indidual trader.

i have no intent of dealing with them. i just wondered what people thought

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Additionally if there's a legit website quoted and just a mobile on the flyer you should check the website to see if it's linked to the website. I know of some cases using a correct website with a dodgy number piggy backing on it to make them look legit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Based in Newbridge and had Garda and cab raids earlier this week.

Known for leaflet drops and hoodwinking elderly people out of thousands.

We won't mention that they are a protected species courtesy of enda kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Generally never ever ever engage the services of anyone knocking at or putting a leaflet in your door and you won't go far wrong, that includes clowns from utility companies similarly trying to con you in to signing up to their services.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Friend in work had a guy call to pressure wash his drive way, only charged him 400. Same happened to my neighbor once saw them hassle her for 50 euros started at 200. I stayed out of it wish I's spoken up. They approached me first a simple flat no not interested was enough. Always lead with a no, never even ask about price, no matter what they say always stick with no, if they say 200 and you say no that's to much you are now haggling on price an they are master hagglers you aren't

Advertisement