Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Newspaper Archives

• 23-09-2021 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else having problems today with this site? To say I'm getting extremely limited search results would be an understatement. When I realised there might be a problem I used a single search term for which I've previously obtained thousands of 'hits' - Bessbrook. Today I'm only getting 3, each from August 2021. Something is definitely wrong. Can someone who has also got a subscription have a go please? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its been in bits for ages since the last upgrade, only getting recent results is common.

I've had to use Incognito mode as clearly settings/cache for just the INA fixed nothing and I'm not wiping my browser settings entirely for them.

In Incogntio, Bessbrook returns 36322 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Aha, ok so I'll try the Incognito, sounds like a work around. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Waitsian

That worked a charm, all systems go. It works in both Chrome and Firefox in case anyone else is experiencing the same problem. Thanks again. At least we can access their system until they get their act together. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for all those who don't have the requisite workaround. I'm so glad I'm in this group. Help is never far away, and always at hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I've been unlucky on that site too. But what on earth is Incognito please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A mode on your web browser that bypasses your stored site settings and doesn't log to your history. Its generally used for looking at naughty nudie pictures by people; but it can also be useful if a website is badly broken cause of of stored settings like this.

Its sometimes called "Private Browsing" in other browsers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Well now, that's interesting, and a bit naughty at the same time. Thanks for enlightening me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Thanks for the giving incognito info, I thought it was my " out in the sticks" WiFi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

I wonder if anyone has come across an apparently redacted article on Irish Newspaper Archives? The article below is all blacked out, even when I click into it. It was like that a few months ago and I thought I was a glitch. On checking today, it's still the same.

Edit to add: the other articles about P. Hynes in the Drogheda Independent are similarly blacked out; those in the Meath Chronicle are not (though they don't have the gory details the DI has).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

No, but I would definitely email them to ask.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just tried it now and the article is visible in 'Browse'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

Yes thanks, so did I while writing the enquiry email! I hadn't used the Browse function previously but it's been nice to get some context to some of the articles I have found by searching. A throw-back to microfilm days in the NLI 😁

Advertisement