Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike - Is it worth Spending Loads?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

The metallic blue colour on first one is very nice indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'm a big fan of Orro bikes, I think the quality of finish is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

How do you find Base2Race for price? I checked out a set of wheels there a couple of years ago and thought they were very expensive so never went back.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

For the likes of BMC and Orro, there isn't much competition in Ireland but I thought the prices were competitive.

It to prices will be increasing because of the customs rules changing recently from outside the EU (UK). On the STC I looked at, there will be another €500-€600 added to the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Think it depends on what level or speed you usually cycle at if you have the money to spare if you like a cetain bike then go ahead but in cycling like other things a lot of upgrades are not really that vital people just think they have to have them .As has been said the cost of replacing parts on high end bikes can be very costly so that would be a factor to consider .I see plenty out riding decent bikes not high end and they get great use from them the cost of the new ones seems to have gone up quite a bit most 105 groupsets seem to be 1600 plus and that is with fairly basic wheels on the bikes . I have a cube attain and agree which was three times the price obviously a better and quicker bike but for the price difference i would expect that have got great use of the attain .Having said that if i was cycling in a club or something the better bikes make keeping a faster pace a lot easier .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Your bike is 2019 that ain’t old!!

You have a carbon frame, 105 already so most new bikes are going to feel very similar unless you really spend cash. So make sure you can feel a decent exciting difference.

you could just bling up your current bike, fancy wheels could elevate it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I know my current bike is great and an upgrade will be a tough choice. I already have a pair of Scribe wheels due in the next week or two.

For once, I've money burning a hole (plus a big birthday coming) and want to treat myself to n+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I think you are correct about that window and I've recently picked up a few things second hand like wheels and a bike for the turbo. My concern about buying second hand is around a frame - what kind of mileage has it done, has it been in a crash. With carbon it would be hard to tell if there was a flaw unless it was really obviously broken.

Also I'm quite fussy about keeping my bike mint and I see a lot of stuff for sale that is quite ratty looking which would bring me to question how well it was looked after.

For me peak bike is rim braked and lightweight and more specifically a Giant TCR. My summer bike is a TCR carbon (ONCE colour scheme) which I bought new as a frame and built up with Dura Ace 7800 back around 2003. If I needed to replace it I'd be looking at TCR again but checking recently I see the rim braked frame is €2900 😲. So that won't be happening. I think based on the buying trends of people that there probably wont be a top end TCR rim brake frame available in the next one or two generations.

So I think that if I really did need to look for a new carbon frame I'd be looking to China for one of the open mould frames you read about. e.g HongFu or DengFu or maybe on the more expensive end Winspace. A lot of these companies are making frames for the bigger companies anyway so there is some quality stuff out there for smaller money.

My winter bike is a Titanium XACD which I bought direct from China maybe 17 years ago and for a fraction the price of a Ti frame at the time. It's still going strong.

I also think that the current price trends should in theory open up the market a bit for custom builders - as long as they can hit a sensible price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

just saying you could drop 3k and have a bike that is much the same as your current. Consider a bike holiday too, or personal trainer, bike fit etc. all nice self present options!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,564 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any clubmates around the same size with the sort of bike you'd be considering buying, who might lend one to you for a spin to see how much difference you notice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Always liked the look of Orro bikes. The Red one in your link is lush

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

from reading this thread it seems to me that most people are not buying bikes, maybe wheel sets, but not high end road bikes. OK gravel bikes are a big thing nowadays as are e bikes. But who exactly is buying all these high end bikes that are charging so much for the same as you got 2 years ago? i'm put off the bike industry with all this price gouging.

i wouldn't buy a 2nd hand carbon for the reasons mentioned by a previous poster, you don't know if there's a hairline fracture in the frame, doscovering that there is one in the front fork descending at 50kph wouldn't be nice.

i also have a 2019 carbon road bike, got new wheels for it this year, i don't have a 'winter' bike, s i don't do a lot of winter cycling.

but each to there own, spend what you want to on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Maybe not high end but in last 2 years I bought a Bianchi XR4 Oltre, BMC SLR01 Teammachine and Cannondale Super Six Evo. All new. Although Tier2 electronic groupsets. Ultegra Di2 and Etap Force AXS. And I have seen plenty of people in my LBS buying high end framesets (think Colnago C64, Cervello S5, Factor One) and getting them built up with Campy Super Record EPS and DuraAce Di2. There has already been a tonne of orders for 12 Speed DuraAce bikes (Scott and Bianchi mainly). So I guess people are buying high end bikes as business seems to be booming!! People often buy bikes on finance as well I have noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

They're certainly high end! Have you kept them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Only the Bianchi and BMC (though I changed out the groupset for Red). Just blinging out the Bianchi a bit now with matchy matchy stuff. Pics later. :) SS6 Evo was a pita with a badly designed frameset not really Axs compatible though sold with that groupset. When the chain was on the 10cog it would rub off the stays/rear dropouts!!. Plus lots of other niggles. Crap Cannondale warranty too.

Advertisement