Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand built Wheels from England Post Brexit issues

Options
  • 23-09-2021 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi all looking to buy a new set of wheels for my tourer. I will probably end up buying a hand built set from one of the English wheelsmiths. My questionnis has anyone bought wheels in since Brexit came into effect and how did they get on with customs and duties etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone could recommend an irish wheel builder that would be brilliant too. thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What type of wheels do you want built?

Dara in Bee Cycles, Richie in Humphries and Lukasz (sorry if I'm misspelling that) in Apex cycles are all recommended. I've had humphries build me 2 sets of Touring wheels and had no issues with them. Had a set I got from someone else also built by them and they last a long, long time before I moved them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭pairofpears

I bought from Lukasz in Apex and would definitely recommend him. Another guy is Robin Seymour but I cant remember what shop he works in.

I have a mate who has a set of quick release disc touring wheels. I could find out if he still has them cos I know he was looking to move them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I'd also recommend Robin Seymour @Expert cycles. Built me xt disc on open pro bitd that lasted 23k km before I sold the bike on.

Has built me several mtb alfine based wheels that only died (7 years for the first) because the cup and cones on the hub were so corroded from the Irish slop.

Advertisement