Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards GS V Reps Ryder Jug 2021. Druids Glen. 16 OCT. 11AM.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Whilst the pace of play is very bad - a championship course and back tees - there is hardly a society in the country that would beat 5 hours. It is unacceptable - and the society have worked hard on this over the last few years. I guess when you have two societies you don't have them same control . It is something I'll be working on next year. But never mind society golf - I've noticed people with a different approach to the game and life post covid. They literally are not in a rush and are literally there to enjoy the day out.

I'm not sure how to deal with that. I've even got a response " I'm on a holiday and not in a rush" - where do you go next ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

When you get a response like that I think you just have to accept they're going to be d1cks and try to not get too upset by them. Really all you can do if you have a slow group in front is ask them to hurry up / let you through. After that it's up to them. I've seen people get so annoyed by slow play I thought steam would come out of their nose. There's just no point to that. Put your club down and pick it up again when they start moving off the green.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the time of your society's round either. No-one died, people just forgot to think about the pace of play for a while. Remember next time and that's all there is to be done.

And that ranger needs a boot up the ar$e. He has a job to do, but there's a way to do it. Telling a group who are a few holes behind the blockage to hurry up is not his job. What does he expect them to do about it? And being a pr1ck about it is certainly not the way to do his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

Fourballs and white tees could have been the problem the last 2 outings.

We didn't seem to have any issues at the previous outings.

Throughout the year I tried to accommodate the early tee time requests, might I suggest we send out the speedier players first as pacesetters and emphasise all groups behind keep pace or allow players through.

Keep it to 3 balls and society tees on the more difficult courses. Pick up your ball if you are out of the hole. Don't be offended if a playing partner suggests to pick up the pace. 5hrs+ just isn't fun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

In our case the hold up was looking for balls, pace of play itself was grand.

We (second last group out) too were waiting and there were 3 groups on the Index 1 (13th). From 14 onward the groups sped up and there was no hold ups.

A lot of the mid round hold up is to do with the 12th and 13th hole design, I've played the course a few times and that is always a bottleneck, if you've played the course you'll acknowledge the 13th especially as you have some folk laying up with their second and others waiting for the green to clear to go for it.....then you have the reloads. It's a lovely hole, but a fault in terms of speed of play as real potential for lost balls/reloads with both first/second and third shots.

We were in at about 4hr 50min which is not really that bad.

Druids need to address volume of 4 balls being allowed out late in the day, when we were playing the 3rd green you could see a car park of ladies getting their gear out, they were never going to complete in daylight with their tee time.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭a post punk

Thanks to A and A (don’t want to mention names ) who we played in the 2nd group Saturday. We got a good beating at 5&3 and I think my team mate Ballyk must have felt the strain as I was really only in it for the front 9 and I hit some bad tee shots after that which left me in a lot of trouble or playing a provisional. The 2 lads were rock solid all day and if 1 had a rare errant shot the other made up for it. It was my first time playing the course and it’s a great trek just tough at my level. The par 3’s were the highlight for me as they were augustesque on 1 or 2 and can only imagine in the height of summer would be unreal looking. The Index 1 was a class hole aswell but I was playing a provisional so had to take on a 210 yard 4th shot and pulled it into the trees……

Just to add to the round being long we were aware of it in our group early in the round and did our best to keep the pace up. I think the nature of the competition mabye extra time was taken over putts and no one was going to rush the opposing team doing that. I’d also like to mention the reps team gave me a hand looking for balls on any bad drive I hit which was very sporting, thanks guys. Once the game was decided we flew through the last 3 holes for the groups behind us.

Id also like to thank Break 80 again for a well run year and if I can make FDPM’s Jug team I hope to do a lot better next time out to redeem myself.

PP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭redhill

Out of interest can I ask how old their society is, must be over the century at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭technodub

Yes you played against 2 former heath members and I am a current member of the heath. Sounds like your clutching a bit 😅

Appreciate the kind words Terry and unfortunately you and John were up against it on the day. Me and Anto dovetailed like a dream. Look the pace of play was slow but the first 4 groups were 4.40/4.50. Not sure what happened but there was a big gap to the last 2 groups. What the ranger failed to mention was the first group lost 2. 5 holes on a 3 ball and despite some of the snarky comments everybody involved took at as serious as a club match. If they cant understand that then there should be no place for them in any ryder jug team!

Will post our schedule for next year once it's confirmed in case anybody wants to crossover on reconnaissance 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭Xander10

5 and a half hour is unforgivable, even moreso with the ranger having to intervene to try and speed things up.

Maybe the players should take a long hard look at why they were so slow instead of talking about reporting the ranger

The slow pace of the game is what is killing it for so many golfers, with many walking away from the game.

Advertisement