Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest sources of film

• 23-09-2021 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Hey folks - quick question...I'd like to start using some medium format cameras I've had lying around for a while and I'm wondering where the best sources of film are these days?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

All the good sources of budget or cheap film have dried up over the last few years. I used to get a lot of shortdated or out of date film on EBay or even Adverts, but neither is worthwhile anymore, Adverts is full of gougers looking for extortionate prices for outdated stuff. I'm working my way through what I have, and only buying new B&W which I generally get from thephotoshop.ie as it's local, and much the same price as getting it elsewhere.

Whats the camera, incidentally ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

120 film and cheap are not words you really see used together unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Well I've got a mix of things - an old Ikonta 6*9 folder, an Ikoflex 6*6, a Yashica 124G, a Bronica ETRSi, and a Hasselblad 500 c/m. Too many cameras and not enough time, skill or film. Might try to take a few photos of the kids in the next while if I get the chance.

Nice, sounds like a good set of different cameras, both the Yashica and the Hasselblad would be my choice, grab a bunch of HP5 from thephotoshop.ie and maybe a yellow filter or something and bob's your uncle.

Classic adverts 2nd hand film sale here https://www.adverts.ie/film-cameras/fuji-pro-400h-120-5-pack-brand-new-refrigerated/24938228 looking for €90 for some price gougy godforsaken reason. thephotoshop doesn't sell that fuji, it does Portra 400 at €11.65 a roll, but agphotographic, another big retailer (UK based though) that I used to bug chemicals from, has Fuji Pro 400H 5 pack at £39.90

Not in any way affiliated with thephotoshop BTW, just a had good service from them whenever I've ordered or queried or whatever.

UK based, but https://www.discountfilmsdirect.co.uk/ might be worth a look, they usually hold a lot of stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

I guess the follow-up to this would be where do folks get their film developed? I'm particularly interested in B&W at the moment.

For B&W I would do my own, it's not that difficult or expensive. Colour is though.

You need a Paterson tank, developer, fixer and somewhere completely dark.

When I was doing some of this I used the attic at night with the steps back up, landing light off and a towel across the gap in the trapdoor. Even then if you sat there for 15 mins you could start to see the outline of stuff, but still it was always dark enough and I had no disasters. Note you also really need to trust the person who puts the steps up and more importantly down for you.

I dev everything at home and then scan. Very little equipment needed, changing bag, dev tank, chemicals, thermometer, some graduated cylinders and what not. Both B&W and C-41 are easy. C-41 has a few more steps and a little more rigour required with temperatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

If you like to buy film processing online and local, you could try these guys.

(for 120 film developing just click on advanced)

Advertisement