Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Million euro Soil Sampling Programme.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,651 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I got my soil samples back. Last time I did them was five years ago. I have an area near the house where there is 5-6 grazing acres. I must look up the last results to be exactly right

However 5 years ago the ph was around 5.5 and P&K was low. The recommendation was 3-4T of ground lime/ acre.

As there was only five acres I spread a big bag of Granlime on it every year since then (100 kg/ acre). Ph has come back at 6 and buffer pH was 6.7 with zero lime required. Granlime was spread each spring and as the sample were taken in February this year any residual lime should be gone. A bag an acre should maintain it now.

It is something have always pointed out here that the comparison between Granlime and ground lime effects on ph are misinterpreted die to the way both are applied. Ground lime is usually applied in the autumn and something like 15-25% is lost in the first winter to leeching. Most of this will be the finer soluble particles.

Granlime on the other hand is spread in spring time and is 100% available during that year.

On a side note I fairly sure the P &K on the field was very low. It got a bag of 18-6-12/ acre for the last 5 years. The K now is now high at 161mg/L, in fact this area went from the poorest K wise to the richest over the last five years. P is in the normal range.

Rest of the farm.is kinda spot on. One silage area is low on K and another area high. Will target the low area with slurry this year and only give other area 1k gallons per acre. in the other silage area.

But must say I am chuffed with the Granlime. I know a lot of lads on wet ground have a problem with spreading ground lime as it takes the skin of the ground. I think they should try Granlime and see how they get on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭endainoz

The gran lime will probably have skewed those results as its traces would still be in the ground. I think granlime will be absorbed in the ground better alright, but the ground would still need to be left got a couple of years to get accurate results. So they say anyway.

I doubt it G-lime is supposed to be fast acting. There should be a bigger residual effect from ordinary lime.

The availability of P&K would seem to indicate that the pH in that ground has really recovered.

I be going with 50 kgs/ acre for maintenance for the next five years interesting to see where it will be then.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If you're a fan of the granlime. Try out 100kgs of granlime and 50kgs of kieserite. You could even go to 150kgs of granlime and the 50 kgs of kieserite. But the 100kgs should really balance out the kieserite. Pleasantly surprised by how well I got on with 2 bags of granlime, 1 bag of growmax burnt lime and 1 bag of kieserite per acre this spring. And you are using your own slurry too so there's even a better result if you use the above and slurry. I went out with half a bag of Terra graze per acre for some N. 11 units. And you'd swear I went out with 27 or 30 units of N like I did in the old days.

That's the yearling heifers going out today on the above treatment.

Post edited by Say my name on

Do not use lime on most of the farm it comings up 6.5-7. The land near the house is different land much more soil on it. Where is kieserite got and how much is it.

Can I put it out with out granlime

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Where would one pick up kieserite

I wouldn't mix it with lime. I'd do different runs.

Kieserite is magnesium and sulphur. Probably more micro nutrients too. Sodium I believe too in it.

I got that from target fertiliser. Not sure who else does it. I think 400 /ton. But I wouldn't swear on that. I haven't paid for it yet.

There'd be boron in the slurry. Silica in kieserite too I think.

Sulphur would bring down the pH from the calcium/magnesium so should just balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Were the ‘Mineral and trace elements’ results part of this Scheme ever loaded up on Agfood as Dept originally said would happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

I see lime. Subsidy is announced .How much is lime per tonne delivered and spread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

Surprised to get a text this morning saying that this crowd were sending me the final report of my soil analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Snap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Arrived in the post today text arrived about an hour earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭endainoz

Got the same text myself, I was only talking to a lad about it yesterday saying how we never got it.

I didn't get the letter myself yet. Will have to wait until Monday I guess. The results might be interesting but interpreting them could be a different story... I see in the original results, my place is very high in Mg. Teagasc never tested for that. My place is generally low in P and I only heard since that high Mg binds up P so that makes sense.

I was very happy with my original results but disappointed when teagasc just totally disregarded them and retested. Said they were all inaccurate and sample sizes were wrong too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

If you’re land is high in Mg would you be safe for tetney?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I got my full results in the post today. All samples except one, came back low in Copper, below 2.5ppm. I've always suspected that our land was low in Copper, so good that this confirms it. A vet told my neighbour years ago that the land in the area was fine for Copper.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Are you sure the results are truthful?

Was controversy over them samples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Well, I don't have the expertise to say otherwise. Controversy in what sense?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I could only take my results with a pinch of salt. There was some improvement in some fields that was way beyond realistic, and a lot more said the same too

If the sample is only took on the very top of the soil. i.e the corer only pugs at the top few centimetres then the results will be higher in p and k.

The soil sampler needs a slight taper out from the very bottom to ensure the full dept of core is able to be taken every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Omallep2

Hi, I wanted to post a screen shot here to get input on my results. Can anyone help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Try using the picture icon (2nd from left of the four) in the leave a comment box.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Ak84

I. Posted this already in wrong thread.

These results seem very high for organic matter.

Anyone any thoughts or comparison to their own results from the progaramme

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Omallep2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

AK is the last sample from peat?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Ak84

Yes, the last sample is very peaty ground.

But the top 3 results are high ground with rock just below.

Advertisement