Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14; Russell T Davies Returns

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wonder was it too soon for some Disney bucks to be spent on the production.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The new Theme for the 60th anniversary 

The speical episodes are due to air next month.

November 23th is the date of the 60th anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Like the sound of that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wish they'd take the plunge and do a fully electronic score again: it's weird too cos Delia Derbyshire is seen as such an unsung pioneer of electronic music, yet her most famous piece almost never gets that treatment anymore. And given the desire to give voice to forgotten female pioneers, it seems like a curious oversight.

Big loud orchestras are a cute way of implying the blockbuster tone the show aims for now - but IMO they just never reached those heights of the super-creepy, haunting original tune they tweak through the 60s & 70. Or indeed the 80s version, which just went pure electronic and think has its place in the show's heart.

That original theme was just pure mystery; a little bit exciting, a little bit scary. Even the 80s version had that, all digital and alien sounding. Now it just has bombast, but no soul IMO.

• Advertisement

Spin off called  Tales of the TARDIS for the iPlayer

Doctor Who has confirmed a new spin-off show, with former cast members set to return for a special adventure.

The BBC is preparing for the return of the iconic sci-fi show next month, and has now announced Tales of the TARDIS, a six-part series that “reunites beloved classic Doctor Who duos, as they board a very special TARDIS on a nostalgic voyage through space and time”.

The cast for the series includes former Doctors Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy. Maureen O’Brien, Peter Purves, Frazer Hines, Wendy Padbury, Katy Manning, Daniel Anthony, Janet Fielding, Nicola Bryant and Sophie Aldred will also reprise their respective roles.

The series, which will launch as part of The Whoniverse on November 1, will see each episode focus on a different duo, with new footage being merged with classic episodes to create an all-new experience.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Inviere

I fell off of the Doctor Who train when Capaldi took over (nothing to do with him, just took a break and never went back.) Is this new season a complete reboot (I seen online that it's being referred to as Season 1)?

Nope, not a reboot at all; just a bit of a mystery why Whitaker's Doctor regenerated into David Tenant

The answer is obviously: cos the show is floundering and the feeling is a return to RTD is somehow the fix, but I'm sure there'll be Sci-Fi bollix established. Though IIRC it is possible for the Doctor to return to previous regenerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Children in need special with 14th doctor. Was quite good I thought. https://www.facebook.com/DoctorWho/videos/1654794201712475/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That was fairly funny. Enjoyed that.

Hopefully RTD can repair the Chinnall damage.

I'd have to disagree with an above comment. Peter Capaldis Doctor may have some of the finest episodes of Doctor Who in its history like 'Heaven Sent'

All Eyes On Rafah

And could I possibly make a fcuking appearance please!!!!

All Eyes On Rafah

Davies already said in an interview he won't be unsetting things like the Timeless Child, so that's staying canon.

Read that alright. Buts all timey wimey wobbly wobbly, so we shall see.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont get the Davros / wheelchair connection , in all the time I watched Dr Who, I never once made that association. jesus, some weirdos would find their own shadow offensive

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭bren2001

Are people offended that Davros isn't in a wheelchair in this skit? Jesus Christ.

That was pretty funny and makes me pretty optimistic for the RTD II era.

But does it mean if there is a Dalek themed series , Davros will just be normal dude walking around?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I haven't seen a single credible, prominent outlet or individual making stink about Davros. This is a nothing issue. Maybe some randos on Twitter but as always, dig long enough there and you'll find anything there.

I'm quite curious now. What's the complaint? It is as pixelburp said, did long enough there and you'll find any weird take you can think of.

• Advertisement

Presumably something about Davros not being in a wheelchair is ableist or somesuch, if I had to guess, which can only be either sarcastic satire or some total nobody pleb on Twitter dredged up by a bad faith media outlet looking for clicks about Woke Gone Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭bren2001

It's the exact opposite, i believe.

RTD said Davros in the wheelchair is abelist. It's a negative portrayal that people who end up in wheelchairs become evil.

I regret asking in the thread! The skit was fun. Roll on the next Dr Who episode.

It must be important in the bubble Davies inhabits

"Speaking on new BBC Three companion series Doctor Who Unleashed, Davies said: "We had long conversations about bringing Davros back, because he's a fantastic character, [but] time and society and culture and taste has moved on. And there's a problem with the Davros of old in that he's a wheelchair user, who is evil. And I had problems with that. And a lot of us on the production team had problems with that, of associating disability with evil. And trust me, there's a very long tradition of this.

"I'm not blaming people in the past at all, but the world changes and when the world changes, Doctor Who has to change as well.

"So we made the choice to bring back Davros without the facial scarring and without the wheelchair – or his support unit, which functions as a wheelchair.

"I say, this is how we see Davros now, this is what he looks like. This is 2023. This is our lens. This is our eye. Things used to be black and white, they're not in black and white anymore, and Davros used to look like that and he looks like this now, and that we are absolutely standing by.""

Ah lordy. RTD has come out with a few comments that have been a bit Lady Doth Protest Too Much; not touching that subject either but hey ho. Not like I'm gonna watch the new Who's so I'll back off lol

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mormegil

So how long till we get this statement from RTD?

"We had long conversations about bringing the Daleks back, because they are fantastic characters, [but] time and society and culture and taste has moved on. And there's a problem with the Daleks of old in that they are wheelchair users, who are evil. And I had problems with that. And a lot of us on the production team had problems with that, of associating disability with evil. And trust me, there's a very long tradition of this.

"I'm not blaming people in the past at all, but the world changes and when the world changes, Doctor Who has to change as well.

"So we made the choice to bring back the Daleks without the mutation and without the wheelchair – or their support units, which functions as a wheelchair.

"I say, this is how we see the Daleks now, this is what they looks like. This is 2023. This is our lens. This is our eye. Things used to be black and white, they're not in black and white anymore, and the Daleks used to look like that and they looks like this now, and that we are absolutely standing by.""

Oh dear. I thought his reasoning for not showing the 14th Doctor in the 13th Doctor's costume was nonsense also.

That's a bit silly isn't it?

He's a genius madman who happened to be wheelchair bound and scarred due to his actions during the planetary war. It's hardly having a go at wheelchair users or associating them with evil.

Only ones that come to mind are Doctor No (I think) and MODOK.

When it comes to wheelchair users, first thing that comes to mind is Professor X.

All Eyes On Rafah

Yeah, completely and what I was alluding to: it was especially stupid considering Whittaker's costume was chosen precisely because it would be androgynous enough for cosplayers and boys who wanted to dress up, but felt self conscious about it. Kinda flies in the face of that simple bit of common sense for the sake of presentational concern.

Mind you. Rtd has also said only gay people should play gay characters cos it's a unique experience, so I've questioned his social judgement for a while now.

I never thought wheelchair or disabled, more that its a life support system and fitting for the creator of a race of cyborgs, by Davies's standard, Darth Vader would be pRoBlEmAtiC , Davies could have taken it a different route and change the life of a wheelchair bound actor

• Advertisement

Why not give the role to an actual wheelchair user.

Here is an English actor/writer/director who is in a wheelchair who could have played the role.

Advertisement