Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stud finder

Options
  • 24-09-2021 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭

Looking for a stud finder for home DIY use. Would like one that can find ac and steel too.

Any suggestions? Seems to be plenty on a certain internet auction site, but unsure about their quality.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

They don’t work very well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They work very well. As soon as I pick up one it goes off

Any house built in the last 20-30 years is likely to have foil lined plasterboard which can sets them off.

Very strong magnets are good for finding nails just below the surface, don't work on stainless or copper, aluminium, or brass though.

These screwdrivers are handy - hold the tip and you can trace live wires close to the surface, https://www.topline.ie/tools-hardware/hand-tools/hand-tools/electrician-tools/faithfull/mains-tester-screwdriver-multi-function I will never use one of the old ones that only works when you make actual contact with a live wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I was putting up some smoke alarms onto the ceiling and couldn't figure out how to find where the batons were to screw into.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

For a smoke alarm you can just screw it into the plaster board. There are special rawl plugs for plaster board but probably aren't needed.

It raises the question as to how do you find the joist/stud.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Knock on the roof until the tone changes.

Or go up to the attic and look there, you can make a small hole that'll be covered by the alarm

Or get the many expander thingies that grip plasterboard - fire alarm don't weigh hardly anything

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Plasterboard fixings are more than sufficient to hold a smoke detector in place. No need to find wood to screw into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Ive had a couple of the electronic ones and as said in the thread they aren't great, you can get manual ones that put a pinhole in the wall thats easily painted https://garrettwade.com/product/stud-finder-np

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've had a few varying degrees of success in the main they can be tough to work with.

That said my current one Zircon stud finder bought from Amazon has been the most accurate to the level that I actually trust it. So I'd recommend that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Ready depends on the makeup of the wall you need to find the studs on. If it uses the foil in the plasterboiard the stud finders are pretty useless but if it's just plasterboard, they are good at finding the studs.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Are studs a standard width? Replacing the hand rail on the stairs, one section is masony block but then the other stairs is just plasterboard walls so will have to find the studs. Its a metal plate fitting with three screw holes, about 12cm diameter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What do pros use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CreamPieLover

best way is to make an educated guess .

If you dont find one use a piece of bent wire (wire coat hanger) to feel around for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Sorry to hijack the thread!

The house I bought has insulation done on the gable wall,probably in the last 10 years or so. I want to hang a somewhat heavy mirror on it and was planning to get a stud finder but from reading this thread it may not be any use?

I've tried knocking on the wall but there doesn't seem to be a noticeable change in the sound.

Any suggestions welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Robbie71

Problem with newer houses is they can have thick insulation just glued onto the masonry wall and not good for heavy objects . There are concrete screws/framing plugswhich can be long enough to reach the masonry but a bit heavy duty for a mirror. On occasion where precision required, ive had to cut a section of insulation/plasterboard inserted plywood secured to masonry and then used the plywood as a fixing point for my mirror/unit etc.

Unless the mirror is very large heavy you'd be suprised how much weight well fitted rawlplugs can hold once item is not going to be moved/bumped afterwards

I use magnets where there are known studs, look for sockets and switches and keep away from their vertical/horizontal line as this likely where cable run or unscrew sockets and look which direction cable is coming from ....not very scientific but a lot of it is uneducated guessing . The stud finders give to many inaccurate beeps so that you'll never drill a hole .

Interesting point, I assumed they put the insulation on to battens but that was based on nothing really! It may well have been glued on.

Oh that's another good point. There is a plug socket below where I want to put the mirror although the plugs I'd be putting in would probably be either side of any wiring as the mirror has a hook on each side...I hope

This is the mirror which is apparently 7kg but feels heavier.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/nissedal-mirror-black-30320321/

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Robbie71

Get good rawlplugs 6mm or 8mm (usually discard the ones supplied ) - will have no problem holding that mirror up , right drill size and snug fit - need to tap plug final bit with a hammer.

Drill about 2 inches from possible socket/ switch cable runs vertical and horizontal and feel for resistance, once drill goes through 15mm plaster it will hit air/insulation/timber /dabs of glue or if very unlucky cable /conduit but even these might have a bit of give

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No More Nails glue would probably do fine for 7 kg.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Thanks all!

I'll be back when I've broken the mirror and ruined the wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭kirving

Bought a Magnusson one recently and it wasn't the best, so replacemed it with a Bosch, which also wasn't great so Iooked into it more.

The conductivity of your hand holding the unit has a big influence on the readout, as does dust on the wall. If I wet my other hand, and placed it on the wall near where I had the stud finder, it was way better and more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pick the corner of the wall, measure back 420mm, that should be the centre of your next stud, then the rest of your studs are at 400mm centres.

I've bought cheap and pricey stud finders and never find them accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Another good way to find the vertical stud is to look at your skirting board to see where the nails are

Advertisement