Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Palma, Canary Islands - Volcano Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Hard to know exactly, but that looks violent now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Someone should tell LIGO that they could have saved all that money on their interferometers when watching smoke from a volcano would have won them that nobel prize all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

It's just clouds doing regular cloud things. The only reason you are thinking of something like gravity waves is because the video has been sped up by a factor of lots so movement is exaggerated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

well i just had an interesting half hour travelling from our atmosphere to outer space and back again..lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭thomil

First time I'm seeing all of that during daylight. When did the wind pick up like that? Wouldn't want to be downwind of that stuff...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Light smoke rising from spots to the left of the main dome in the TelevisionCanaria feed.

Can't see it being underlying trees or other combustable material at this stage.

Could it be another vent just before the dome collapses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Aviation SIGMET has the ash cloud up to 12,000 ft and moving southwestwards at 30 knots.

Good ash cloud going southwest away from islands/nw african coast and out to sea...for people/wildlife. Gives them a break.

I have been wondering about that left shoulder smoke all day...been trying to find the live feed that pops up on the upper right small box of the main feed that shows the volcano from behind. Has anyone come across it... it might just be low lying cloud or from cinder blocks rolling down and coming to rest there or one of the older or a newer vent. On a mobile so definition not great here of live feed.

Second/top vent now flaming again along with bigger lower one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Rougies

Here's the live feed of the lava stream entering the sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭thomil

The uppermost vent looks seriously aggressive now. Lava and flames being shot out constantly and at high speeds...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is that one long vent from the smaller lower vent? Looks like its spewing lava along that line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Destroyed houses have jumped by nearly 200 since I last looked (around 8 tonight)

The whole feed is a red glow at the moment.

Still going strong...I wish they would zoom in bottom left clearly to see of smoke there is rubble or vents.Or somebody release info one way or the other.

ok 8.28am...time on the feed of my last post is the closest view...what does anyone think...4 areas of smoke....not clouds so smoking rubble or vents or both?

Post edited by speckle on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I am not seeing live feed working this morning? Have you link?

my second last post says live la palma/afar tv top left of box ^^^^^^

It was still going strong at 7:15 this morning. Just peeked in now and gone very quiet just white smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wind calmer today. Ash smoke/column is more or less vertical.

Hard to get a good view this morning with the angle of the sun.

It is amazing how fast the change 8.45 buzy ..an a half hour later quieter!

I just realized I read your post wrong 😅 I thought you were saying it was quiet at 8:45 so I was making the point it has only just quietened down , hence I gave the 7:15 update.

But yeah it is amazing but I wouldn't trust it, calm before the storm n all that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

A lot of deep rumbling the last while , still can’t see much as wind isn’t shifting the ash and steam.

A lot of steam/ smoke coming from base on left hand side unsure if that is new vents or just cloud.. I take it if they are new vents forming it would seriously destabilise the whole structure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭dalyboy

May have been asked earlier in the thread but is this the volcano that’ll create (supposedly) a giant tidal wave that’ll hit NY ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Yes but seemingly little or no chance of this eruption causing the massive landslide needed to cause that kind of wave.

latest translated at 1.28pm today

The explosive activity of the Cumbre Vieja volcano, on La Palma, has increased again in recent hours, as well as the emission of gases in the northern part, the National Geographic Institute confirmed this Thursday. The lava has reclaimed around 17.2 hectares from the sea, estimates the Cabildo de La Palma, and on its way to the ocean it has destroyed 855 buildings and partially damaged 126 others. The destroyed roads total 27.4 kilometers, according to the latest measurement by Copernicus, the European Union's Earth Observation Program. This Thursday, residents will be able to temporarily return to their homes to collect belongings, always outside the exclusion perimeter of 2.5 kilometers. The farmers of Puerto Naos, El Remo and Las Hoyas are also allowed to visit their farms for irrigation tasks. The intense winds that will blow in the Canary archipelago for the next two days will disperse the volcano's emissions towards the Atlantic Ocean and guarantee air quality in populated areas, reports the State Meteorological Agency (Aemet).

Bold emphasis mine..would this possibly reflect what we see in lower left as we watch live streams of cone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭TTTT

Sad for the inhabitants...no sound a good but errie choice.....Excellant footage..though not sure the footwear at the end is the most apprioprate for such conditions 😉

Some of those houses had a real "lucky escape" I know they are not out of the woods yet. But you'd wonder what access will be like. How high the lava is around the house, how stable it is if you started digging an access route etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭obi604

Silly Q time, so the lava reaches the sea and the sea I guess is relatively shallow where it enters, some lava will just go uner water but the rest then will just form new land, yeah?

I guess also that the sea could be really deep also where lava enters and if so, the lava would just go to bottom of seabed and take longer to build any new land

Is this kinda what happens?

Activity has started back up, looks like more lava making it's way to the sea.

@obi604 not sure but I did read that the heat from the lava can cause water temperatures to rise to scalding levels.

My understanding is the lava will harden and form new land, not sure how stable it is though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

42 acres of new land so far:

Overlaid over Dubin streets - that looks like:

Advertisement