Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Gate Pillar - Cost?

Options
  • 25-09-2021 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Any idea of the average cost of moving a gate pillar in Dublin?

The width between pillars is a bit too narrow and the car can get clipped.

So - basically to move a pillar, the same width accross. Knocking off a bit of wall and concrete base foundation for underneath pillar.

Any feedback - much appreciated!

Post edited by Fishdoodle on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Did you ever get a price on this? I submitted a job to tradesmen.ie and got a quote of €580 which I'll probably go with.its to move a brick pillar approx 3ft high and reconstruct it 3ft away.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Thanks! The pillar I’m looking to move is higher just over 4foot - for which I got a quote for €600 … not far off your price 💫 Still …seems quite steep!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It depends on the type of wall. If it's a stone wall, ie, not a block wall, the costs will be different to a block wall.

If you're making the driveway wider, you're going to have to knock a pillar, and part of a wall, If it's a stone wall, you can probably re-use a lot of the stone to build the new pillar where you need it. so it's mostly labour and some materials

If it's a block wall, then you're unlikely to be able to salvage any of the blocks, so you'll lose the materials, plus have a disposal cost, but they wall may take less time to rebuild.

How much is labour for this job, well, it's likely to be at least a couple of days to get a guy out, assess the job,get the materials and work out the plan, source the materials, and then rebuild the wall, and then take away the debris

600 quid is a very good price that indicates it's a very simple job that will only take a day or two with minimal complexity.

👍 Pillar is made of bricks, so they could be reused though some might get damaged when removing the original pillar. I guess when you factor in a new foundation for pillar -potential damage repair to original structure - it’s not an over the-top price.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

FYI you need planning for this....

• Advertisement

Seems a grey area - correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this is the case.

As far as I'm aware you need planning if you're extending the entrance to the road. I think the key term here being 'to' (toward). I think if the area of the public footpath were being extended (entryway to the road), then planning would be required to get the council out to do the work on the path & dipping. As far as I understand moving a gate pillar does not change the entryway to the road. The entryway to the road remains the same. Only the width of the gated entrance of the property changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

We were doing the same years ago and just kango'd under the foundations, poured new founds and lifted the pier with a hiab n plonked it down.

I was sceptical but the bricky had done it numerous times n it worked out grand. It's not a bad price for Dublin tbh op

Thanks 👍 Good to know was straightforward 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Unfortunately I have never seen anywhere that its a grey area in Ireland, perhaps its different for other local authorities, but in Dublin it needs planning. Each council will give you the details on what is/isnt required. e.g. for sdcc they are very clear that it does need planning. dcc seems the same.

Even CI would indicate that its an all Ireland thing.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html

"You always need planning permission if you want to widen or create new access to a public road."

Your driveway, gates/pillars and even the boundary wall need permissions to alter, its quite strange in that you can often build a new boundary wall without permission, but you can't alter an existing one.

The dishing etc of curbs is a whole other thing.

Also note that planning for this may uncover other new reqs such as lowering the height of the pillar & wall either side of the entrance for safety & visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Hi. Could you please recommend someone who can do this work? Thanks v much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Got 2 quotes late last week for Dublin; €750 and €1,000. Will likely go with the cheaper one and arrange for next week.

Advertisement