Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milford Sheep

Options
  • 25-09-2021 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

looking to breed some replacement ewe lambs from my llyen and Cheviot cross ewes thinking of a Milford Ram.

I like the sharp head and colour that Milfords bring has anyone any experience with these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭thelegend1979

Using Milford rams only for the last few years and couldnt be happier. Maternal breed for sure so im not sure how suited they would be to your sheep. 213 lambs sold out of 237 off grass. Wethers sold as forward stores averaging about 41kg for 114 average. Ewe lambs averaging 144.75. Very easy lambed and very hardy. They say the wethers are hard to finish but you cant have it every way. Flock consists of good suffolk cross ewes and a few texel cross. Weaned 1.80 lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JayBally

Thank you for your response - currently running 30 lleyn ewes and 10 Suffolk cros hoggets putting the Charollais ram to the hoggets and the Milford is getting the best performing lleyn ewes. Hoping for a good sellable ewe and going to keep on the best of them

Have you any pictures off the ewe lambs

Hopefully mine will be just as good as them smashing lambs.

what type ewe are you using the Milford on?

how you find finishing the Ram lambs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

What kinda trailer is that Legend?

It looks to have no ramp, but it has the side gates - looks a handy job...

It has a ramp and just the builders mesh on the sides. Pro trailers in athlone is where I got it. Dont finish the wethers. Ewes are suffolk cross

Do you think the Milford would be a good cross for a white faced ewe?

You might struggle to get enough colour in the head but they will be lovely and sharp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I don't know, you could get a lovely speckled lamb out of that cross particularly if it's a narrow headed white ewe like a cheviot more so than a texel.

Some of the lambs off darker ewes can be heading for a solid black.

• Advertisement

These are the type they are going on

The solid black out of the milford ram would be a great seller. I think you would get grey speckled lambs out of those ewes at best but they would be flashy lambs no doubt.

I have some border Leicester cross homebred white ewes that I let out to a full black head pure milford ram. Will post a pic to give you an idea. Ewes were pure white.

That's their lambs.

I would be happy enough if they came like that

I was going to put the Charollais on the suffolk hoggets but might give half to the Milford

No reason why they wont come that speckled at least. Lovely cross with a suffolk ewe no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭kk.man

Absolutely beautiful sheep. I always was a fan but they are not popular down here in the SE. I'd bet they are as good as the Borris ewe.

Thanks kk.man. Find them lovely for crossing. The pure milfords were a bit hit and miss as regards milk. Serious risk of inbreeding with them now i think. Hard to get new blood i hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tomc21

No such thing as a pure bred Milford sheep they are a cross from a horned ewe and a Blue Leicester ram and their off spring is then crossed with Suffolk or cheviot very few local people have them

Advertisement