Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Did you not hear a big price drop just around the corner! Ha only joking, fair dues. What did you consider the safest product to store over the winter, Urea?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭straight

I don't know. Fertiliser can hardly get more expensive than now. Price of crude oil is gone below 100 dollars. I have enough in the yard for this year. Might be able to save a pallet of CAN for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Gas is the issue and what putin decides to do with supply from Russia …I’ve urea bought and will try more and some straight p as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Another option is to buy in some extra bales this year and cut down on silage ground next year. Plenty of supply and will probably store alot better than fertilizer

I never got straight P before. Been drip feeding 18-6-12 for years now.

Oil is dropping because of the recession, gas demand will drop too. I know supply is uncertain but that is more of a European issue. If fertiliser is too expensive in Europe the EU could drop their anti dumping measures and allow in fertiliser from international sources. I can see farmers being left without but I can't see all the Europeans freezing in their apartment blocks. Either way, I'd be building up the warchest. 💶💶🪙🪙💶

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Isn't most nitrogen production linked to the availability of cheap natural gas , ( not particularly oil ) ,

So with Europe in a gas deficit , that's a lot of fert plants not producing no matter the world price, and if theres more demand than supyply the price could go crazy .... ( Crazier)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭ginger22

It is only the European fertilizer factories that are being affected with high gas prices. The rest of the world its business as usual. Amazing that now fertilizer is expensive lads want to stock up. Much like cattle prices, when they are cheap nobody wants them but when dear they fight over them.

The strategy should be to wean yourself off the fertilizer addiction.

Start ordering your clover seed ,and oversow it in with a grass harrow...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Much like houses. Nobody wants them when they're cheap either.

Maybe it would be more in our line to wean ourselves off the farming addiction altogether. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Farmers journal reporting food production will be well back on 2022 compared to 2021, and that's not even considering the droughts and extreme hot conditions in Europe and the US. I really think this higher fertilizer price made farmers cut back overall worldwide and now droughts and Russia throwing a spanner in the works I think food is going get very dear.

Where does this leave us in relation to fert prices next year, I'd guess higher than what we paid this year, I think putin wants nordstream 2 opened, in order to get the Germans on side he will squeeze the bollox out of them by saying nordstream 1 has some serious safety problem in a weeks time, probably some clause in Gazproms contract that they cannot be liable if there is serious safety issue that need immediate attention and then just drag it out.

One thing about the Germans they only care about themselves and seeing them entering a trade deficit for the first time since the early 90s tells me there economy is going down the swanny.

EU really has to get there act together regardless of Russia, fert prices were soaring since early Nov 2021, infact I kept a copy of the farmer journal from then and front page was 'fertiliser supply chain grinds to a halt' all due to gass prices. I do think these bureaucrats in the EU and even Ireland have just became so far removed from reality that they cannot see what staring them in the face. Like Jesus christ these guys have got every prediction on inflation every month this last 16 months wrong, even called it transitory, and said nothing to worry about.

Anyway that's my rant for today, just sick too teeth of these clowns not being able to see what's right in front of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭ginger22

Agree that the clowns running the show in Europe are not fit. But on the other hand their incompetence could benefit farmers due to food scarcity leading to higher prices.

So long as Inflation doesn't keep input costs spiraling. I think you are right though, the era of cheap food is over and with more extreme weather on the horizon I think the farmers will be back to the forefront again, plus if I was to put my tinfoil hat on, there has to be some reason why bill gates is the largest landowner in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,667 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Bill Gates is not the largest land owner in the US. That a man name John Malone, I am not sure if Bill gates is in the top ten. Warren Buffet is buying land not Bill Gates and I am not sure if he is in the top ten either

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭mf240

A lot less fert being spread, there must be plenty of stocks in the country.

After two months anything sold will be for next year. Unless a good deal was availabe i think id let co ops keep it for the winter .

How much of the price rises were actually as a result of the war in ukrane ect. Some of it must of been opertunistic on the back of rising grain prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

My plan is to keep stock levels where they are (2-ish LU per HA), continue to spread lime every year, continue to use white stakes and reels to tighten up paddock sizes, and aim to cut enough silage the last week of May so a 2nd cut might be reduced or even skipped.

I'm hoping that'll help me control the amount of fertiliser I'll need.

I have plenty clover (by accident/nature more than anything I'm doing, apart from spreading low enough N) but it's not the magic trick that the experts are claiming.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

And by all accounts has made very little difference to yields of silage etc. - which highlights how much excessive/wasted use was out there, hopefully meaning the penny has dropped going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Grueller

For right or wrong I bought enough for the rest of this year and also next years silage today. 27-2.5-5 @ €850 as was 18-6-12.

From 2021, unless it has changed since then, when I said landowner I ment farmland owner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Good loser

Yield can hold up for one year by crop drawing from reserves in soil. These will dwindle quite quickly unless replenished.

• Advertisement

Like anything else there's clover system and clover systems ... The very productive varieties aren't particularly persistent in a sward , and then you'd have to manage the pastures to suit the clover more than the grass ,

But you have what suits you ..so fair dues...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Thats were the proper use of slurry, fym, green manures, clover etc. comes in to reduce excessive Chem fert use with the added benefits of better soil ecology,structure, climate resilience, drainage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭leoch

Does anyone dump there lawn grass in the midden

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭amacca

Where would be a good source of info on FYM....timing of spreading, time needed to rot down to provide max benefit etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Good loser

As long as N is got into the soil the route doesn't matter much - for plant growth.

N fert is easy and efficient. Fert is too expensive to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I thought I read somewhere that spreading FYM in the autumn is best for grass… Spreading in summer is best for soil…

Anyone ever hear that, or did I just dream it? Who is a soil guru on here? @Say my name - we’ll go to you first maybe…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

A strong assumption there.

Not saying you're wrong, but id like to see what research you've based it on.

No chemical fert spread here since 2018 and this 2022 so far has had the highest grass growth we've ever recorded.

Fertiliser is often used as a bandaid to compensate for poor management/weather/farming system.

For example, a farm with 100% sown perennial Ryegrass swards would certainly lose yields very quickly after a fertiliser reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,591 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

No soil guru. But I've spread fym a few weeks ago. Going to spread another shed now before the straw comes in.

Pro. Increased OM in soil now mitigates against drought.

Con. A bit more oxidation of nutrients and carbon going on in the sun before it reaches the soil.

Just in case I'm coming across as a goody two shoes. I've had to reach for the bag of nitrogen in the last round. Going to have to look at incorporating N into my new spraying mix. And that bag N was CAN coated with biostimulant Seaweed.

I cut back on fert on the silage ground the past 3 years. Cut back n,p and k. You'll work for the first year and think you're the greatest. But production will decrease after. Had to buy silage last year. Back now this year upping my p and k as per soil test. And going with 60 units N. Silage is hungry on ground. All should be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

have small field away from home, good few houses around it and someone dumping lawn clippings in the field, made gate harder to open and now they are dumping it outside gate. First world problem I know but annoys me all the same. ( never mowed a lawn in my life - waste of good grazing according to father here 🤣 )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Agree with your father on the lawn bit 🤣

I lost a good ewe last week from bloat after eating fresh grass clippings that were thrown over a hedge. Seen sheep die of all sorts of things but first time for this!

Advertisement