Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Lime i have to spread for derogation, my plan is to spread lime instead of February and mid Septembers fert application.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

This isn't like previous fertilizer spikes.

For one the global supply of phosphorus next year is going to half. That's unprecedented.

Factories are closed now because they can't get gas at a price that justifies making fertilizer. So several months of product will not exist even with a miracle for January.

Gas is bought 6 months in to the future. So the the reference price for then Is being set now, a drop in the spring will only feed in to a price drop next August.

Will lime the whole place this year, have a deal done with a neighbour to buy extra bales and keep more of my own in reserve, take the pressure off the silage cuts.

Talking to the brother tonight, he works as a buyer on the continent. They have bought electricity for the year, double the price of last year.

All the disruption of the last 2 years have turned the world upside down and it will be many years before we see the full effect.

We could see smaller cuts with wagons, bag of nitrogen and slurry, cut after 4 to 5 weeks, rinse and repeat. Slurry/dung/lime and any other sludge, manure will become more sought after. Straw is even going to become more expensive along with beet/maize/meal. This crisis is going to accelerate organic or lower input farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

It is interesting how industrial farming practices appear to be at most risk Economically in these times. Hopefully it informs future AG policies worldwide - on that note this an interesting piece about growing resistance to industrial farming in parts of Africa https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2021/9/22/africa-is-not-a-monoculture-we-reject-the-plan-to-make-it-one

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

I used protected urea all summer. I forward Bought it in January at I’m€340 per tone i think. I honestly had no complaints. Grew loads of grass. I found the weather played the biggest role in how much grass I grew. I heard on grass 10 webinar this evening that we grew more grass in September than May. How do you plan for that.

• Advertisement

I managed to buy a mixture of fertilisers today. I tired every merchant within 50 miles and coop I deal with sorted me out. I have to hand it to him he sold at June prices what he bought it at. I have all I need for the whole of 2022 now. I am delighted. I had given up getting any.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

340/t for protected 🤔🤔🤔🤔…any advice I’ve seen is to buy protected as you need it as the inhibitor breaks down …it’ll grow grass fine but at prices quoted now it’ll be hard shifted

I have all used now. But it worked well. No complaints only the 375kg bags. Small farmer syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Used all protected this year, split between straight N and 29.0.14+S got most at jan prices bar a small late load. Nobody quoting down here. Have a pallet of muriate in stock but nothing else left. At this stage will just have to see how it pans out.

Will be liming away anyway if conditions allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Most of farm here not dry enough for long enough in the year to encourage spreading lime as while it undoubtedly has its benefits in unlocking better grass it would leave the land skin too soft for cattle to travel on.

But looks like might have to bite the bullet next year and spread some!

Would spreading it in Spring work ok?…..ground too wet at mo for tractors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Stocked low enough, but still has the scale to go to 200 cows in prob some of the best land in the country. 8k litres means alternative forage and/ or a share of meal going in as well, possibly as buffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Fairyland and she wasn't even elected!!! If the family farm needs 300+ acres???

Has she any clue at all abut how long it takes to implement whole system changes like that on a farm, while still meeting financial commitments? She may be right and it may be the future..but it won't make a damn bit of difference to farmers who are asked to fork out 600 euro for nitrogen next spring

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A ,lot of lorry drivers being offered way better money to drive in Great Britain, that's bound to have a huge effect next year as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Irish companies are doing some serious messing on rates too, their not rising them to account for diseal costs, brother/father ran 3 lorries here up to July, down to 2 now which will be pulled of the road at Xmas if rates aren't lifted and they'll simply just drive for someone else, the big Irish/English companies are expecting owner operators to work for less then minimum wage while having to pay 20 plus euros/pounds a hour to their own drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

We spread 2ton/ac on heavy channel ground in April

Cows on it at the moment and aren’t cutting it up any more than fields not limed

Compared to other fields it’s growing more grass

Would you believe I found paddocks that got lime the drainage was better

Are you spreading calcium lime our mag lime, on high molybdenum wet ground mag lime is a big no no as it binds the clay tighter together and screws up drainage

• Registered Users Posts: 18,653 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

While fertlizer prices may drop late next year it will only be a temporary blip if they do. It will be similar to ration prices. 5,-6 years ago was the first time rations went above 250/ ton. They fell back 12 months later but have started to climb since and we are now well above grain prices from that era. Grain will continue to rise IMO and fertlizer will be similar.

This is not s 12-18 month issue. Gas prices will continue to be high as the demand in electricity generation is going to increase as we become more dependent on renewals

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Used to hear older people on about spreading slag on land years ago, can it still be got or was it any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

I can remember the black slag being spread around April i think. There used be a thick lush sward for the summer after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

If less fertilizer put out due to price, less grass, then less cattle. A short term glut will result when famers reduce numbers leading to short term lower prices. These lower numbers will then result in higher prices after that.

Farmers who buy in spring will buy less cattle if they reduce fertilizer input due to high price. Farmers who buy in now may be forced to sell in spring if high fertilizer price makes holding on to cattle for summer uneconomic.

Skag is a PK fertlizer with a pH neutralising elements as well as some basic nutrients, N is the component that is getting the highest hike. Remember slag is no longer delivered in small bags just bulk loads. It will be hard got, it a byproduct of the smelting industry all of which is gone from europe

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

It was filthy stuff to handle. It was cheap but not very good. I did not realise that it was still available on Irish market.

It used to be 2-3 years ago anyway. Check DD fertlizer section and it may be there in bulk. Problem.is there is different types unless you were looking for trace elements/ nutrients it was not really economical

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭endainoz

??? She said the farm adopted it in 2018 gradually decreasing nitrogen usage to zero, it wasn't instant at all. Did you casually ignore the 40k saving she quoted? The whole point is to not to have to rely on inputs that are clearly fluctuating massively at the moment in price.

It'll make plenty difference to people who are willing to try it out on a smaller scale instead of worrying about supply of nitrogen every year which in all likelihood get more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Have to agree,

Anyway,

" the best time to have made a change was yesterday, the next best time is today"

Inputs have went up year on year, for many year, clearly a warning to be seen, so there was plenty of time to have introduced sustainable grass. The possible hike of next spring is warning enough to change your grass today.

Using a large farm on good ground at a rel low stocking rate buying in a share of feed if those yields are correct isn't exactly an easily copied or useful example. Fairplay to that farm on doing so but single examples generally are not useful. That's the issue with the approach she is taking, she calls to the few farms that suit her narrative, where as they other 90% aren't thought of at all really. Same with the power generation, cart before the horse shite

40k savings in n usage no mention of p and k, 8000 a litre herd average too, if that's been done of mms swards alone without the addition of maize/couple of ton of meal, she probably visited the best and most profitable dairy farmer in Ireland, we are all going to have to adopt a totally different approach going forward, I just hope the meat factories and co-ops have factored in a huge decrease in farmer output and don't turn around and cut the arse out of milk price particularly,as their processing costs rocket as throughout put decreases and servicing their debts will have to be done on less litres through the plants just like the farmer will have too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

That would never happen here. Too much hunger in lads. They will run faster for less money. The same as always

Advertisement