Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Can urea be sprayed on through a conventional sprayer? I know it can go on via a tow and fert sprayer.

Anyone with experience? Rates? Timing of application etc? Mixing rates, water temp etc?

Pity just to throw our the urea, if it counld ba applied more efficiently..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Have another read…

Then have a listen…

There’s a reason that Macron keeps calling NATO ‘brain dead’ and ‘dead heads’…he also wanted a Pan-European army, but the germans put an end to that and ran to the safety blanket of the good ole US of A. That’s going well.

The Yanks couldn’t give a flying fiddlers about the EU. Their only interest is in getting former Soviet states to join NATO to advance their hegemonic ideals…fact!

(I used the word ‘ideals’ so as not to offend those that think USA= good and Russia= bad)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There is absolutely no interest in the EU to risk a hot war with Russia, no interest in paying the costs of proper militaries, bar France, the Americans have carried that bill for decades. No more though.

Where is the EU declaration that trade with Russia will cease if they invade, that any business that trades with or in Russia will not be allowed trade in or with the EU.

Where is the expression of will to do even a small thing?

Putin can be fairly relaxed about it, he is setting the pace.

Been spraying liquid Urea with over 40yrs. I’ve also been an advocate of it on here with a decade…pay attention Alps!!

It's an age thing😱

Right...I have my bag of urea...have a milk tank and water..

How much of each, and how much per ha?

Do I need to change nozzles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,591 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The first bit just means Putin has the finance reserves in a good state for the good of the people or the US view on a war footing ready for any retaliation sanctions. Is any of that good for Ireland? Maybe if you work in London and depend on them for a living. Not if you want no loss of life.

|https://metro.co.uk/2022/01/16/russias-war-with-ukraine-is-just-days-away-15927491/

Whatever way you look at it even the neutral view they have a military and are not afraid to use it to better their own country.

Are they good for Ireland? A laden? bomber flew into our airspace. A hacking group with russian military help crippled our HSE.

They wouldn't be the greatest of people to have on your border. It's all fun and games though ..for Wallace and Daly.

It's great thinking about having a broad view but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

We used to suck a few bags into a half full slurry tank before. For spraying on wheat with a normal sprayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭ginger22

yes no bother but you must set up a mixing tank to disso;ve the urea. The rate I use is 16 kgs urea in 100 litres of water to one acre. Use normal fan nozzles.

Russia is a signatory of the Budapest Memorandum guaranteeing the territorial integrity & political independence (among other things) of Ukraine in exchange for Ukraine giving up former Soviet nuclear weapons based on it's soil after the breakup of the USSR.

People saying Ukraine should be thrown under the bus, it's no different to saying Ireland should be part of the UK whether we like it or not due to geographical proximity and might being right.

Putin is a gangster, protected only by a large stockpile of nuclear weapons. He's imprisoned and murdered political opponents, deployed radioactive and chemical weapons in other countries, seized territory of sovereign nations and on and on.

The SPD calling for the opening of Nordstream 2 is shameful. Better for Germany to reverse course, re-open and build new nuclear plants and re-orientate their economy and civil systems away from Putin's gas.

Giving in to Putin now will start a global landslide of demands from such dictators. "Peace in our time" was a phrase from the last century, didn't end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Bit the bullet €920. Delivered this week and pay the end of may.

It's a small independent lad I'm dealing with who's been very good to me over the years.

Brother who's milking cows is buying it a score cheaper from the co-op.

• Advertisement

Brilliant...

Make this my wallpaper, so won't forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

does urea disolve easy when you mix with water ,do you need some thing to agitate it

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Can't remember exactly but I put a big bag of urea into an ibc filled it after with water. Then used a sump pump to agitate. Takes a bit of time as its an exothermic reaction. It will have frost build up a bit on outside of tank. So warmer day quicker to melt. Then I used special nozzles to put it on wheat. It puts it out like a watering can. So it runs off the leaf an not scorch it. Put on 60 units an acre like that. Only problem was kaolin it's in the granular fert to help bind it. Buts it's an awfully sticky globby stuff. But floats on top of water. So use prills if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

My post was actually a bit of tongue in cheek to the nato/Russia/EU posts which my lack history makes it go over my head.

I actually normally go with cut sward with slurry for first cut to supplement the P and K as they’re typically bordering a 3 index and maybe a 2 in one field.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You might think that you have a lack of history but their problem is they have too much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

It has taken a slight tangent to fertiliser prices alright!!

19-0-15 would be my main fertiliser for silage ground along with slurry. I’ve a lot of ground that’s index 4 for P and index 2 for K.

I was talking to the rep over Christmas and he quoted at €740 a ton. He says they’ve no issue with supply, just price!

Dissolve 500kg of prilled Urea46% in 500L of water…to bring the total to 500kg of Urea to 1000L. When fully dissolved the solution is stable and will stay that way. It’s advisable to dissolve the urea well in advance before you use it. The reaction is endothermic so some frost or condensation will build up on the outside of the container. The rates you apply are up to yourself, but we don’t go past 50L/ha (concentrate) because of scorch. At 50L/ha it’s good up to 22*C without scorch. Ordinary spray nozzles are good, but we’d use an application rate of 200L/ha of water to minimize scorch. At that application rate we get one percentage point of protein for every application on milling wheat. We gave up using it on grass because it doesn’t work in high temps/soil moisture deficits.

I’m assuming you’ve got your spray cert and the sprayer control is up to date.

Brilliant. Thanks for that.

Looking forward to see what results..

Paperwork 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

That's only 25 kgs per hectare, how much from the spinner would have the same results

• Registered Users Posts: 18,667 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you normally spread 75 kgs urea/ acre on first cut, how much of liquid urea would you want.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Folks, mad question. Is there a limit on the amount of chemical N that can be applied. My searching keeps leading me to organic N, and in particular for dairy enterprises and derogation. I'm wondering then if you've fully maxed the 250kg/ha in derogation, what options have ya re. chemical fert? Are there limits (talking about legislative limits or regulation and not what the plant can make use of)

Yes there are limits especially as you are in a derogation. The limits should be in your derogation plan.

Slava Ukrainii

Not in derogation, not in dairy at all. Was just wondering, in general, are their limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Yes, your advisor should be able how much if each type if fert you can spread depending on your sr and feed levels

Again, not relevant. Is there a limit, or a calculation that I can look up without having an advisor, etc do it for me? Must be something written somewhere. What if I've no stock and grow barley or just plain old grass

Yes there are limits to spreading any the of chemical fertilizers no matter the enterprise. Teagasc probably have the figure on there website somewhere. If not the department have them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Couldn't share the pdf for some reason but the first item on that search

I’d have to spread at least a bag of CAN per acre to get the same results in wheat…assuming damp growthy weather iykwim. For grass I’d advise you talk to your Teagasc advisor because they’ve been trialing that with decades!!😂😂

• Advertisement

There’s no limits Rooster…buy as much as you want and get it invoiced as granlime etc etc. Sorted.

Advertisement