Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'm aware of how benign this January has been(I actually had a couple of lads in this week doing a drainage job with Hymacs,heavy trailers and a Lambo in a problem soft spot in one of the lambing paddocks, no way would I have such activity on the land in the averge Jan). However my point was that the outlook is for for a significant colder spell with wet weather down here from the middle of next week ie. slurry applied now is highly unlikely to be taken up by usefull grass growth and is more likely to be leached into nearby water bodies when applied now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Bordering on unhinged giving out about slurry spread in ideal conditions best part of a week before potential rain. Is slurry ever rainfast? The doctrine always was the spread in overcast, light rain to limit N losses. Now that's bad as well. Sometimes I despair at the stuff I read on farming forums.

Anyway I bet in a month's time every field that got slurry will look different to the ones that didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

There's a lot of slurry being spread, I've seen a good few lads out with the dribble bar and more with the pipes, on better ground than what's around North clare though, I suppose lads have to get rid of it but you'd wonder after some of the mildest weather in donkeys years how they'd be under pressure with cattle out a lot later than other years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Slurry out here 1

w days ago in some of best conditions ever seen for January …covered an out farm on Monday in simillar ….very light misty rain yesterday ….I can’t see any of that slurry been wasted or running off ground into rivers /ground

water like u imply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Some seriously Braindead actors involved in farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭straight

You're dead right. Some people will just never be happy. If you gave everyone a gold bar, some people would complain that it's too heavy.

But their not getting rid of it. Or at least they are not around here it's great condition for spreading their putting out light coats round here for early grazing it's going to work extremely well with the weather the way it is

The mist is Ideal as you say at will also stop ammonia escaping ....I bet you can notice way less of a smell

Covered 30% of the place here @3k gallons per acre with the dribble bar. Great job and ideal conditions. Way better than spreading urea. Nice to have the job out of the way before calving starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Ideal weather for slurry ,the cattle will be blinded by grass this spring!!!

Hopefully March will be a kind month, utilisation of grass is often a bigger problem then actually growing it .

Reading some post s here somelads have become completely brainwashed by the greens if they think spreading slurry is wasted spreading in early spring ,it is sad to think they call themselves farmers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,592 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The weather forecast is not that bad.

It wouldn’t be what you call winter weather more like continuation of spring. (I've jinxed that now).

Mild up to Tuesday and even the end of the forecast first week of February giving 14 degrees in places (7th feb). With possibility of high pressure back again.

It's not the end of the world.

Out with t shoe …virtually no smell and only for the lines from the t shoe itself you’d hardly know anything was in fields

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Grueller

Absolutely not. I am going with the pipes here on Monday. No rain forecast here until next Friday. A light dash of drizzle on Wednesday night but that might not even appear. There is no way that slurry is doing any harm. Of all the years to beat a drum against spreading in January, 2022 is certainly not it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Trying to be abit cleverer with slurry this year, spreading far away paddocks lightly with tanker. Found umbilical great job but ended up spreading it very heavy. I might go with the umbilical with dairy, watery slurry in March/April if possible.

I used the umbilical here the last few years and it covered 11 acres although I had asked the contractor to cover 17.

Covered the 17 acres with my own tank this year @ 3k gallons..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Conditions are fine for slurry, some of ours out last week, if heavy rain forecast I wouldn't spread but looks more like a wind rather rain event for this wkend in places.

Being able to do drainage in Jan for soft spots shows how dry its been in places. Walked the land and have 9 acres very wet, kept slurry out of it. Digger here but wouldn't even attempt it now, summer time job. Drains wouldn't stay open while being dug and wouldn't get into them with stone.

Was lucky getting the roadway done but even then the rain around Xmas made it messy

It sure is …on the urea I’m starting to wonder despite saying nothing till March am I better go now with some …I was advised to go with 15 units urea /acre now ..conditions and ground temps been so good ..too good an opportunity to turn down .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Different system here, ground would'nt be fit to carry heavy stock until April or May most years, no point in me having grass and not able to let anything out to it.

Holding off the slurry until after Paddy's day, i'm not stuck for storage and i want to untilise every drop this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Advertisement

Some folks would want to consult a calendar if they think its currently early spring - the meteorological definition of Spring is March onwards. As for the current conditions, yes they are exceptionally benign, but uptake of nutrients by grass is also a function of day length which is still very much winter, plus there is no guarantee of seeing out the likes of Feb and early March under such an exceptional benign regime of HP for the time of year that was last experienced over 30 years ago. In any case we all know plenty who would be firing it out now anyways no matter what the conditions, as happened last year when heavy sleet and generally cold conditions were prevalent. Anyways as can be seen from the majority of the comments here on the matters I raised, most lads clearly aren't too troubled by current fert prices or any of the other issues mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Dunedin

One of the issues for some farmers is that they’re relying on slurry as their first round of fertiliser on grazing (due to cost of fert) and are going with it early so as the grass will be ready for grazing when cattle go out.

Farming is always playing what's in front of you Birdnuts.

You can have all the plans you want but if the opportunity presents itself you have to take it.

Slurry gone out here and with the neighbours and the growth uptake where it has and hasn't gone is clearly showing.

That means stock outdoors now grazing grass and leaving silage in the pit and needing less fertiliser to buy for 1st cut and maybe not needing a 2nd cut this year.

No two years are the same you always have to play what's in front of you to your advantage.

Majority of posters here are long in the tooth and know what they're at I'd guess.

I can clearly say in my lifetime I haven't experienced a winter period like this or had the farm as lush and green at this time of year. Never. In farming terms you'd think it was April on farm. The father here never experienced it either. Absolutely brilliant last few months for a grass farmer.

Hallelujah on high to the highest.

I guess that will depend largely on temps and rainfall over the coming months. But going on climate averages and data from Agmet, the vast majority of "usefull" growth will occur in a typical spring the other side of Paddy's day over the vast majority of the country. If slurry is put out now its highly likely that a large % of its nutrients will simply be leached away before grass growth can utilize it. Now we might be exceptionally lucky and this benign spell just keeps going all the say threw till April, but I would say on the basis of climate stats and my own experience of such things over 40+ years, that would be a serious long shot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Prices starting to come down eventually, thank god.

You'd lose your head if you were running a farm.

Cows in till May. And wondering what the longterm average means you should do.

Go when you can. Stop when you're forced. Basically be flexible. Those are the ones that survive.

I hope it works out for those folks - anyways I've said my piece, it will be interesting to return to this theme in 2 months time to see how things have worked out for everyone;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

I know people talk about growth rates and length of days. But I always was happy to get the slurry out early. There has been a few years firing it over Ditchs in the end of march. If the weather gets cold it works better than fert. Plus putting it out in spring with the cold hard dry April's we had the past few years is dodgy too. A couple of dry weeks in January and lads think the winter is over

• Advertisement

It really is like April atm. And there's been worse April's than at present.

Second pic was slurry spread on the 21st. Pic taken on the 21st.

No compaction from spreading either.

Advertisement