Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Please don't mis-represent what I said - I worked on Dairy farms in North Kildare in my teens and twenties, slurry typically went out early to mid March with the majority of grazing plateforms ready to go by the end of the month. These were experienced guys at the top of the game. 2 are suppliers to Baileys. Slurry was respected/valued and not just treated as a waste product to be dumped on land ASAP - the latter a culture that unfortunately is still prevalent in too many places:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

You just cant get it into your head ,slurry works as well in colder conditions as the n is slow release is not much more point trying to tell you I suppose as you know better and just wont let it go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,592 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I didn't misrepresent what you posted.

You posted about a guy first somewhere spreading in misty weather. Then it was pointed out that misty weather improves nitrogen utilisation.

Then you complained about people and posters spreading now at present and in your experience of examining the 40 year weather average they'd get poor growth.

What posters are trying to explain is and even teagasc report is that now this time of year before the weather gets hot is when nitrogen utilisation is excellent. Slurry is a long term fertiliser. The carbon in the slurry holds onto the nitrogen not like straight N fertiliser. Farmers know the conditions grass grows in. They know the temperature needed. Know the soil pH needed. Know the difference in slurry spreading equipment. They even know the cost of fertiliser.

Experience tells them on their own farm if grass is growing day to day and being on the ground what soil conditions are like. They'll have a fair idea what utilisation will be like on the day of spreading and by checking the weather forecast.

You say dumped. Maybe it's your job to say dumped. That's the way of the world nowadays. You know yourself. There's people paid in Ireland now to make livestock farming more difficult every year and especially those who claim some knowledge of livestock farming.

But from me who's been reared on this on farm for the last forty years. None of the slurry I've spread in the past few days will the nitrogen be wasted. I can't speak for every farm obviously as someone could be farming in a bog. Sin é.

Misty weather?? It was raining fairly steadily and unlike what you just posted there I never claimed to know what every farmer does in terms of slurry application which is what you appear to be saying, and what is wholly inaccurate given what we know about published data concerning excessive phosphate and nitrate levels in soils and water within intensively farmed catchments and what plenty of folks have seen over the years in terms of "black sheep" that operate with little regard to rules or inclement weather. Your quote about hot weather is also a red herring given that we are talking about March slurry application. The problem with a certain section of farmers is that they can't take reasonable observations/criticisms with out throwing a childish strop that frankly impresses no one outside of their small circle, least of all the regulators who operate on data from the likes of the EPA and even the more progressive elements of Teagasc themselves

The 2018-2020 data for nitrate in rivers show that 47pc of river sites have “unsatisfactory” nitrate concentrations, with the highest concentrations in rivers in the south and southeast where there is more intensive farming coupled with freely draining soils. Recent analysis by the EPA shows that up to 85pc of nitrogen in rivers in some catchments in the south and southeast comes from agriculture. 

Same issues in NI https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/new-report-lays-bare-extent-of-ni-agricultures-phosphorus-excess/

The figure includes application through chemical fertilisers, slurry spreading and animal excretion and is proving costly both in terms of environmental impact and fertiliser costs.

The above quote I think sums it up the best, which backs up what I was posting here in regards to poor slurry management that still occurs on too many farms. Nothing I've posted here could be construed as unreasonable or unfair comment which I thought this forum is meant to be about. Sadly its seems some just want a lazy echo chamber that allows them to stick their heads in the sand🙄

Post edited by Birdnuts on

You've totally ignored the basic facts about grass growth, leaching etc. in cold and wet conditions with regards to slurry application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭straight

@Birdnuts its gas that you worked in a dairy farm for a few hours a week a lifetime ago and consider yourself an expert. Let's wait and see what the weather is like in March for spreading slurry. You seem to take offence very easy but have no problem making derogatory statement s about hard working farmers trying to do their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

U farm what’s in front of you….around here I can’t remember a better spell of weather with ground conditions equally as good ….don’t think many are suggesting loading out slurry most seem to be going with about 2 k per acre …likewise with fertiliser anyone going is going with 15/20 units …in a lot of cases this is going out on farms where grazing in February is never an issue bar maby a short spell …ground temps are 6/7 degrees and grass is visibly growing …criminal to not feed grass on such farms now even with high fertiliser prices

Farming methods have moved on since tho you’ll appreciate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,592 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Totally ignorant of farming grass and farming for profit. All because you worked on two farms in North kildare where slurry wasn't spread till late March and grazing wasn't dared till same or later. And yet you've knowledge now because of that of farms in the southeast and all around the country.

See those pictures I posted. Where's the yellow grass? It's not there. You can see the dung and urine patches in retained grass colour from the last grazing in November. That's retained nitrogen and phosphorus and potassium. Show me the leaching?

And I'm not burying my head in the sand. I also added an extra carbon source to that slurry to make doubly sure.

Just because I'm a farmer doesn't mean I don't know the conditions for leaching and why things happen or why comments are made.

I do my best to make the nutrients go further and only go when I'm certain I'll get bang from buck. So forgive me I find it disingenuous from someone who looks to be declaring themselves an expert on growing grass who never had a job making their living off that grass.

In the southeast I've been saying it since dot. The highest nitrates water leachates is the ballycarney catchment. Why? Because they don't like green plants and love their plough. You've no roots to take up the nitrate and no carbon to store it.

We still have no intention of addressing that. It's all the cow. For obvious carbon greeny bookkeeping ledgers.

In the southeast that plough is not just for corn. For potatoes, vegetables, maize, etc.

Anyway sure what would I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Break even growth rate on grass at present is between 12 and 15 (depending on fert). We've not looked at this equation previously, as we would easily have acheived a 5.

When will we have 15?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

it's quiet clear that birdnuts is here with an agenda. to turn this thread into another environmental thread by pretending to be reasonable. dishonesty is the trade mark of people like you. no integrity in ye.just shows how sick things have become.

Grew 8 from mid November to yesterday …put slurry out 2 weeks ago that def accelerated it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭jaymla627

He'll be on here paddy's day rambling about the irresponsible farmers throwing out slurry in the rain on waterlogged ground, why didn't they put it out in the driest January I reckon on record, spread a 13 acre field here on a outblock last week that was to wet to get out into last May for silage, first time in living memory that ground was all traveable with a tanker in the spring, a herd of deer where also nipping it off, so that's another bonus, the advice spewed out been relevant to lads on dry ground dosent come into the equation when your farming in the Midlands.....

It's going to be fascinating the publics reaction to food inflation throughout this year, it might scare them straight that farmers in the main aren't the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭green daries

You've made a very misguided statement (those are not the first words that came to me) your a long way off knowing what your talking t regarding your topic. Which is a pity as it will tarnish the very good knowledge of wildlife topics you do contribute to and educate people about. Maybe have a re think on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

I’d agree with some of what birdnuts says . While I cannot take the chance that March will be dry , I only spread what I have to at this time of year . I feel that when the ground warms up , slurry works best . I use a trailing shoe and there’s nothing better than seeing the grass shooting up a couple of days after spreading in March/April. .

I hope so but I am afraid it may turn into the greedy farmers orchestrated by the multiplies 🤬

I hope you're right on the food inflation. it certainly looks like a perfect storm atm. although the Irish seem to be so affluent now I don't think food inflation will worry many eco fascists

I have a trailing shoe and have spread half slurry so far. trying to target it to grow grass but I don't need to listen to nit picking from bird about environment every time someone makes a statement and he/she or it was pointing out very extreme behaviour as if it was common place

• Advertisement

Yes I would agree with you totally it's a good approach farmers know what works best for their farm I've never seen better field conditions around here before. some planning gone through here deciding what ground gets what amount first or later on.when one of them started asking at the dinner which tank should go on what field I had enough then 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

8 since November would be normal, down to low digets through December.

If you want growth, throw it on (might happen). If you want return for your money, wait till you're growing 15.

At 15...it's still just break even..

That's just euros thrown out, V's euros grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭jaymla627

We are in the main been regulated out of business and in our own minds of the viewpoint no matter how complaint I am with present day rules another raft of measures down the line will put me into been a environmental bandit so what's the point in investing for the future and next generation

Look at new zealand a record breaking milk price and December production was 5% lower then lasts years and at a ten year low historically, America the taps are been turned off due to grain prices, in England daily milk intakes for the month of January are one million litres a day lower nationally then the same week last year.....

The eu is going to get its wish of lower food production simply by their war of attrition they are waging on us with their green new deal stance, they better just hope they'll be able to import it on a boat to make up the deficit our they'll have big problems

we who grow the food that people nowadays take for granted are being regulated out of production because methane only lasts 12 yrs while airlines and others whose co2 emissions last forever get a free pass. you couldn't make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

We have had quite a few poor growth March and April over the last few years.

The fields that had early slurry were the only ones here that had good growth.

Every farm is different. Every area is different.

I'm holding off on slurry because the last thing I want now is more grass. 14 degrees here on Saturday at one stage. Where are you going with that the last few day of January.

There seems to be a near universal ending of the splash plate as well.

It gets very demoralising when we have to listen to it from all angles. and especially when people are misinformed. social media has a lot to answer for. even the oat juice advertising that attacked dairy products was so far off the mark it wasn't funny. the fact is there is no nutritional value of oat juice and the calories have to be replaced by more consumption. but milk, Milk will keep you alive all on its own for a very long time

There is nothing so vulgar and common as people eating food grown on a farm.

Go to the shop and get it like anyone clued in.

😉

The EU position on food is to source it from countries where standards are non existent, environmental protection non existent and proclaim at home about Sustainability.

It's cynical politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

95% of work here is now dribblebar

• Advertisement

could it be possible that we will do as well by producing less? we have been so used to running faster to stand still it would be interesting to see how product prices hold up as production stagnates dues to green agenda and increasing population growth

Advertisement