Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Agreed that Aul pub talk would have been better left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

Not with the wolves bit, this is no country for wolves, - leave them off in Glenveagh NP and they'll be killing sheep from Galway to Meath. Their range is huge.

Eagles - yes, complete BS. I've had them in my lambing fields eating clearings these last 4 years, - when the ewes are all lambed they eat the dead ones thrown in the ditch..

Never once touched a live lamb.

Otherwise they're spot on, - on this occasion. There's a few right bullshit artists following that particular group.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'm not for bringing back wolves either as we are not set up currently to live with them the way countries like Romania, Turkey etc. are. My problem was with the statement about them running off with children which just plays into a rather silly "Little Red Riding Hood" view of a species that does play a useful role in areas where they do occur in terms of controlling populations of deer, wild boar etc. that overall cause far more damage to farming in the EU than any large predator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

We can never be set up to live peacefully with them in this country where unlike the countries you mention, there is no wilderness.

We have a dispersed population, and a far far easier source of food for them than deer or boar who are both dangerous and fast. Sheep are slow and docile. No wolf would choose to eat anything else here.

There is NO possible current or future situation where they are feasible in this country.

I agree btw, that they are beneficial in the areas you mention, and even moreso in places like Yellowstone national park, and I hate to see any wild animal exterminated, but Ireland 400 years ago wasn't anything like today and won't ever be again.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Its not just wheat its grains in general. While there is an issue with hard wheat for flour, a huge area is not needed for this. The real issue may be feed for pigs, poultry and livestock. There will be a push to plant as much as possible. While tillage farmers mmay grow more its only a patch compared to getting a large section of farmers to grow a bit of aimal feed for hemselves. While you may not get the same tonnage as of a dedicated tillage farmer it is possible to plant fairly sucessfull tillage crops.

Spray off field/paddock. Graze with cattle. Disc with a independent spring disc harrow. spread grain and urea based N as well as P and K. Chain harrow the field to bury he grain. Then roll it 2-3 times. spread 100kgs of granlime on top. Barley would be the most sucessful on better type lanf. On more marginal land oats should be sucessful.

Planting is not the issue. Its harvesting. While it can be bales straw content is too much to sucessfully use it to finish cattle. Ideal you want a whole crop header. There in lies the issue.managing to sucessfully harvest what you grow. If cutting with all the straw a barley peas mix with plenty of peas in it may be an option or adding grass into the mix and make a whole crop.

The ideal solution would be a wholecrop headder and a way of baling it at the same time as a crimped crop.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

Right that's away to complicated for me, weanlings and beef cattle will survive away fine on good silage but what would feed a dairy cow after calfing. Let's say there was no meal next Feb/ march. Grass of course but would beet or rape or kale be a replacement with minerals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

It may be you be better doing something else if you better off on the dole... Someone like me might make it work...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I’ve been reeling from the shock of the Ukrainian invasion and been trying to digest the consequences. Putins appetite for risk is enormous and waaay beyond what any rational human could comprehend.

Anyhow, the thoughts from here are as follows;

This year isn’t going to be a problem for agri commodity supplies. It’s next year that’s causing concern. If this war drags on, and the general thinking is that it could, then fertilizer supplies could be restricted for 2023. This would cause concern for agri commodities in the near term. Fuel price is also an issue…however the Middle East will probably step up production because they know where their bread is buttered. When production of crude is significantly stepped up it will settle the oil price somewhat.

Compulsory Tillage.

It’s just a mess. Chickens coming home to roost comes to mind…or even Karma!

The Germans have bought up every available grain of sbarley seed from here. There’s going to be no malting barley coming out of Ukraine this year, so they’ll grow their own.

Irish Gov aren’t concerned about milling wheat being available..they’re concerned about the dairy cow being nourished. In 2018 it cost millions to keep those cows foddered…next year it could cost a whole lot more with grains at historic highs…and they might have to foot the bill again. Talk of compulsory tillage is just talk. Nothing else. I’m reliably informed that the Germans have already bought up any sbarley seed in Ireland, same as here, so seed won’t be available.

Building an entire industry on the assumption of forever cheap imported grains and fertilizer, what could possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭alps

Taking out a field of grass capable of growing 14 tonnes and replacing it with something growng half of that is an idea pulled from the father ted basket of tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Grueller

Did you not say you weren't allowed post anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Rang stores yesterday.

Last CAN was €720/ton, more due in but didn’t arrive, expect it to be close to €800/ton but can’t give a price until it’s in the yard, don’t expect to get enough to cover the demand based on phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

What will be wrong with say dairy farmers growing a crop of say maize or few acres of beet …both will feed v well with our main feed …tegasc will need a sea change in approach tho grass .dwag mentioned it above …this year is goosed now as regards cost of inputs …longer this drags on next year has poteintal to be a lot worse …Covid was near a walk in park compared to what the Ukrainians are facing and the consequences of the Russian actions will be felt across the world

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Did you not say you weren't allowed post anymore?

If the software works, that's now sorted.

Post edited by greysides on

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Maize is probably the answer for dairy farmers. If every dairy cow was only fed 400 kgs off ration we would need 650K tons of ration every years. My post on planting barley was towards the smaller beef finisher. However the issue is his to harvest it efficiently. However you have to remember as badly stuck as we are in Ireland what will the dairy feedlots on the Continent as well as in Asia, North Africa and Australia cope with this.

The bigger issues will be access to seed and fertilizer for grain production. Any borderline cows should be culled ASAP whether suckler or dairy.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

But but but GRASS??

I’ve posted before that if a tillage farmer only grew one crop, he’d be carted off in a straitjacket. If there ever was a year to grow energy dense crops, it’s this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

All those feeds have to be balanced as well. For the majority main part of winter silage will be fine, make it as good as you can for milkers then.

Close on 40% of us corn is going to ethanol i think, that could come away from it if fuel side of thing is sorted or some deal done

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

I see that Jack Kennedy has announced that milk quotas are on the way back, you couldn’t make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is Urea available? Local store waiting on stock here. What’s your thoughts on meadows?

Tbf dwag that’s an easy statement to make if you’ve a lot of land ….still relevant tho…huge opportunity to grow a crop of maize …relatively easy crop to grow and if backend any way decent great chance to get crop of winter wheat in for wholecropoing or back to grass …..changed times now and we have to change with it ….will our advisory body move with it 🤔🤔🤔they have been so one dimensional up to now

Maize with grass as buffer thru spring or backend needs no protein balancer …if I ever get a spell where cows can’t get out 2 kg soya on top of maize and problem sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Nothing at all wrong with that. If beef prices don’t rise significantly, then it’s hard to see too many beef farms using up much grain next winter , more available for dairy if milk stays rising. There’s lads selling rations that are not any better than average silage and next year them same rations will be of lesser quality with more fillers added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭straight

Can't grow maize here. Too windy. Asked a guy to contract grow it for me before and I think it was 1500 per acre. Too expensive.

I have been listening to alot of experts being interviewed about Putin. Turns out he was a pretty poor KGB agent and generally thought of as a bit of a dope. Yeltsin just had him around him to cover his own ass and keep him out of jail. Nobody that knew him ever expected him to get the power he did. So a stupid owl bollox like that is capable of anything I guess. I'd love to get my hands on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

If you could get maize contract grown for €1,500 an acre this year you should be taking arm and all off the man offering it. It’ll be the cheapest feed you’ll be able to buy this year.

I can only imagine the price this year. Might look it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d be thinking it’ll be closer to €2,000 than €1,500.

Ots a lot when you put it per acre but if you work it back per ton of feed it would only be a couple of euro a tone more than buying bales of silage for a far superior feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭jaymla627

It cost 550 euro a acre to get maize sown and harvested here last year that's all plastic seed sprays and machinery work, put in your land rental at 250 and circa 400 euro for this years fertilizer plus slurry in at 100 euro a acre, if you get a 20 ton crop, you'll be working out at 1200 a acre our 60 euro a ton, probably need to add 20% on the 550 euro for plastic/seed/sprays contractor etc still you'll have maize in the pit below 70 euro a ton

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I just did rough costs on making bale of silage this year.

37.50 Including drawing home by contractor, but not including a land charge.

That figure is based on a crop of 8 bales per acre, 3 bags cut sward, mow myself, no spray, plastic at 97/roll and baling and wrapping at 8.50/bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Thanks Johnny I may be grounded but I'm far from knowledgeable especially the intricacies of international economics.

The only knowledgeable I have is my experience on the ground grafted hard and been a saver and those savings are being decimated lesson learned on that front when it's a bit late.

Thanks for the paper I flicked through it but I'd need to read again to get a better grasp of it. It makes sense though, but if they don't raise rates to fight inflation what other tools are available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

It is demoralizing watching your savings get eaten away by inflation most probably caused by bureaucrats in Europe and America that make the incorrect decisions and skrews the normal joe. I'd say they have to raise interest rates and not by just 0.25 percent they have to go bigger. Their main fear is the massive asset bubble especially in the tech sector that they created since the stimulus and asset buying started. This also relates to house prices too I know there is a supply shortage there but central banks have been gobbling up mortgage backed securities (MBS) as a stimulation tool (no mortgages no MBS available to buy).

My honest opinion is they will proceed with tiny rate hikes not get anyway close to controlling inflation, the recent oil shocks and incoming food price inflation will cause a definite recession hence dropping demand which may cause a deflationary effect on fuel and energy this may help but I still think it will remain steady and high but not keep skyrocketing. This may help with inflation but the central banks will still want negative real interest rates like the fiancial repression model to reduce there debt burden.

KBC report for Ireland on domestic consumer spending has decreased steadily since June 2021 (higher prices). This will get alot worse as discretionary items like nice coffees holidays and fancy cars and house renovations go out the window with rising energy and food costs.

I believe this will be a stagflationary recession (like the margeret thacher days) and the normal man and women will get skrewed again. Putin accelerated this but ECB printing 80% of Europes GDP in 2021 was never going to end well.

Advertisement