Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Appletarts

Options
  • 26-09-2021 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Hi

I usually cook a full size apple tart on a dinner plate in the oven for 45 mins.

I want to try mini one's in a fairy cake tin should I change anything?

I'd like them to be quite full of apple and I'm also considering trying custard in it too but I wonder if that's even possible.

If anyone has tried this or has any thoughts please let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I make these each Christmas as a family member doesn't like mince pies so I do apple ones instead for them! I dice the apple quite small and mix it with the sugar, you are not going to have as long a cooking time as with a full size tart so you don't want large bits of apple as they won't cook in time, also if you want them well packed with apple you need the smaller dice to fit the gaps.

Ensure the tops are well stuck around the edges, even at that there is risk of juice overflow which will weld the tarts to the tin, out of every dozen I make I could easily lose one or two trying to get them out of tins in one piece, now it's not an issue as I just eat the ugly ones :)

I don't think I would put custard in too while baking as the heat is just going to boil it out and make a mess, better served with them or alternatively blind bake some pastry cases, put in a layer of custard and a layer of stewed apple, I do that regularly with rhubarb as it's difficult to judge how much sugar you need sometimes with rhubarb so easier to cook it beforehand and it's particularly nice on a layer of custard to cut through the tartness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Thanks a million!

Roughly how long do you bake them for please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I actually made some of these last week. Took 8-10 minutes from frozen in the air fryer. Very tasty and so much handier than a full apple tart!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I honestly couldn't even give a guess! I time nothing, just keep an eye on them, fine line between apples/pastry done and them boiling over, need to be watched carefully once they start to brown

Advertisement