Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insight on newly qualified accountant

• 27-09-2021 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi,

I have two question that I would like to seek some insight.

1) I trained in financial service for one of the big4, I'm looking to jump into industry. I know that I dont want to stay in financial services sector and want to go for industry. but I dont have any relevant experience. Would this put me on disadvantage when lookingfor non financial service jobs? Anyone has any insight on this, and maybe on CVs?

2) Due to family matter, I am planning to take a year off right after I get out of training contract. Would this highly impact my employability , like in terms of not having PQE of 1 year ? Would I be still eligible to apply for newly qualified jobs after the year?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

A year is not that long, so I would not worry about it.... there is nothing stopping you from doing some PQE stuff during the year and newly qualified type positions refers to the employers expectations about your capabilities rather than anytime line. You are a qualified accountant and ex-Big4, that alone will raise interests and get you interviews that others will not get, so I would not be concerned at all about taking a year out.

At the end of the day there is not blue print for this. It will depend a lot on where you want to go, the opportunities that come up along the way and your ability to take advantage of them. Just don't live to work and be conscious especially of the odd opportunities that come your way - they are often the most interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

1 - don't let a recruiter push you into financial services and only apply for jobs in industry. You will be at a disadvantage over other big4 candidates who trained in non-FS however you'll still have a massive advantage over non-big4 trained candidates as even from FS you'll present as higher caliber. However big4 candidates are scarce enough so don't let that worry you - just apply to the jobs you want and keep at it, personality and willingness to learn etc. are more important at this stage, working well with people etc.

2 - don't even worry about it. 1 year career break after big4 training won't impact your career at all, not even one bit. Plenty of people do it just to go travelling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 x982021

Hi Jim2007,

Thank you so much for such valuable advice. I think Im just over worried a bit these days.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Hi,

Thank you for your valuable advice. Really appreciate it.

Have a nice day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I've hired a good recently qualified accountants. I wouldn't have a problem hiring someone from a FS background. Suitable person with good attitude and academic results would be more import.

Year away won't matter much either. Like someone else said a lot of people go away travelling. I did the same and know others that did the same and there was no issues .

Demand for newly qualified accountants is very strong at the moment for the last few years. Make sure to take your time and get a job you are interested in. Like someone else said don't let recruiters pressurise you into any job.

• Advertisement

Hi Jonnybravo,

Thanks for your insight. Much appreciated !

If someone has completed a training contract with a big 4/top 10 and gained relevent experience while completing chartered exams how much weight do you place on prior academic results and for what role?

im still in the phase of finding out what interests me. I want to try out a financial accounting role. If It turns out that financial accounting is not for me, would there be any difficulties in getting back into auditing? what could be the impact on my career?

I tried reaching out to CAI, just couldnt get a hold of them . I'm a bit confused with the whole PQE thing. I know FCA have like 10 yr experience post quality but does it have to be 10 yr consecutively, in the same role like 10yr in auditing or 10yr in Financial accounting or mix of both?

Are there any other differences between ACA and FCA?

Much appreciated for any info sharing even the slightest insight. 😊

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well it is pretty hard to conduct an audit without a good command of Financial Accounting and business operations in general, so a few years outside auditing should not be a bar to returning.

FCA denotes an experienced professional, it would take some pretty strange circumstances for being refused the upgrade and would certainly raise eyebrows if you did not manage to get one. By the time I got my I had strained a long way from general accounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 carlostert

Take Your time and make a decision on your own,If you are good at what you do, taking some time off won't matter that much.

I,myself am an Accountant at AME Advisors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement