Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL2+ furthest reach & low speed profile

Options
  • 27-09-2021 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

So this week after 14 months of waiting and some extensive fighting against EIR and Comreg to enforce the USO my remote rural house has finally been reconnected back to the PSTN by OpenEIR. It is still a work in progress but I have "soft-Dialtone" with the pre-recorded message to contact my service provider but I will have dial-tone and the service working in a few days, it involved the standing of new poles and around 400m of new cabling.

I have an active pair direct from the exchange but the cable distance is close to 9kms, my main aim and intention for to get the landline reconnected was purely communications for to be able to ring in and out as the house is located in a mountainous valley region with no mobile signal at all and invloved a 3km drive to the nearest area of singal or a 200m trek up a hillside.

Just thinking back to the very early days of Eircom's broadband offerings and bitstream (i think) it was called Eircom used to offer some ridiculous slow speeds at equally high prices like 256kbps and 512kbps before eventually increasing speeds to like 1mb, 3mb, 7mb, 12mb and then 24mb depending on line quality and distance from the exchange and if you were on a ADSL2+ or not. I myself am attrached to a ADSL2+ exchange and due for NBI fibre by April-June 2023.

Its more of a hit and hope this one but I know due to the extreme length that broadband most likely won't work not least in any useable form. However if they could activate it at some prehistoric DSL profile like 128, 256 or 512kb it would still be very useful for pinging in and out what's app messages. 1mb would be amazing but unlikely. The next nearest house down the road gets 3mb but I am an additional 2.2kms on from this. This house receiving the 3mbps is 6km from the exchange wheras my own remote house would be around 8.2 - 8.5km depending on cable run but it mainly follows the road going underground in places for to avoid High-Tension ESB wires.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ive seen 512k sync at some ungodly loop length like that but it was the exception not the rule.

Even whatsapp will be painful at that rate. I can't find the sync rate list anymore (who needs it like) but I think 512 is 128 up. If that proves unstable then you'd need to drop to 128k down (there isnt a 256 IIRC). This assumes that the UG even supports this anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Is starlink an option at all? It's probably not worth the cost given you'll have fibre in 2 or so years, but I can tell from experience, even a 3mpbs profile can be atrocious for most things, and you're not even getting that

Advertisement