Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid fuel stove back cap blown out

Options
  • 27-09-2021 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi, had stove lit as usual, using wood briquettes. Flue is connected to top of stove.

Was massive bang and realised that the entrance into the back of the stove, where a flue can be placed, the whole circular metal fixture had been blown outwards against the wall ( tight space and just fell down behind stove)

Can see that the lever bar that's on the inside of the metal disc ( to hold it in place into the stove) has broken off on one side, so prob need to replace.

Any ideas what caused the explosion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 percas

Just like you the exact same has just happened to my stove. Did you get any information elsewhere about the cause, and replacement. Obviously there's nothing on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Blocked flue? Or some kind of flash over event?

There shouldn’t really be potential for an explosion if the flue it venting correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If we're specifically talking about flue caps here and not back-boiler cappings, I wonder was the flue blanking plate just corroding and then falling off? Mine did that on my little Waterford Oisin, fell down and hit the base-plate of the stove and made a bang. But like @Lenar3556 said, there should be no potential for an explosion within the chamber which could send the plate flying... I'd more expect to see the door-glass shatter than the rear plate unless it was significantly weakened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 percas

My explosion happened at the back, closed flue. The chimney is attached to the top of the stove. The circular enamelled disc at the rear blew off with an enormous bang. Like the first poster on this subject, it has an iron bar which moves around a central screw type fixture with one side blown off. The break in the metal illustrates that one half of the break is fresh, but the other aged and rusted indicating a fault in the casting. I now attribute the explosion which blew the circular disc off to that fault in the casting which broke under the pressure which built up in the chamber. My stove was named Heritage, but the exact same cream enamelled stove is currently offered by one of Ireland's leading stove companies.

Advertisement