Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are The Most Safety Precautions for Kayaking

Options
  • 28-09-2021 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am new to the Kayaking. Can someone suggest me some basic safety precautions for Kayaking. There are so many options available in the internet but I want to know the real person experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Their 3 "Golden Rules"

Plus 2 more

1. Your boat must be buoyant. So Sit on Top or kayak/canoe with adequate buoyancy that it will float if capsized
    2. Know your route. Be it lake, river, sea. Know where you're going and that it is safe for your ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭john jameson

It goes with out saying to tell some one where u are going and when u will be back!! A suitable pfd. A water proof phone cover /vhf for back up and always dress for water temp ... wet suit or dry . Stay close to land and enjoy your paddle

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flended12

In ireland

Drysuit all the time.

PFD

Waterproof Vhf that's on your person

Phone

Tell people of your launch, route and return.

Examine winds and waves before setting out.

Make sure paddle is leashed to kayak at all times.

Kayaking alone not recommended.

• Advertisement

And lakes. Irelands weather pretty much means our water temps never get "warm".

If your paddling around with friends on a scorching hot day and just exploring then you might be ok if you fall in.

Test out for yourself though. Paddle about for an hour then throw yourself off and get back on. Then with the temp and wind combo you will be fairly miserable pretty quick without a drysuit.

Be safe

Thanks

Been paddling 25 years.

Just think some of your stuff is slightly OTT.

The CI advice above in the first response is good.

OTT? I was coming from a kayak fishing angle where you might be on the water for 8hrs+

I still would hinder on caution regarding people thinking that just cos its sunny, the water is warm. Sure look at the recent rescues in Cork, lost their phone, no other means of comms and not suitable attire. Be safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭john jameson

Do many lads invest in personal location beacons??? Kayak fishing or sea kayaking in general!

Iv a water proof phone case aswell as a vhf any need for a beacon???

OTT

I'll pick one aspect.

Drysuit

Mine cost approx €700 in 2008? and only got it for that because a mate picked it up in Canada.

Advising a beginner that they must have one to kayak, and all year around is OTT.

Yes of course err towards safety always.

But it's easy to shout SAFETY FIRST and BE SAFE when you have all the gear.

There's hundreds of paddlers in this country would hardly wear one ever.

Slalom

K1

Polo

Then most river paddlers would only dust a dry suit off in November (if they own one).

Plenty playboaters happy with dry cag and good paddling shorts.

Beginners need to start somewhere.

Most of them start down at the CI centre or WWKC or Salmon Leap or Kilcock or Laois or Ribbontail or Kilkenny or GKC or any of the colleges.

Might never see a Drysuit or a VHF radio in their paddling life.

The CI advice above is good

3 Golden Rules

Be able to swim

Wear a BA

Never paddle alone

No need to scare off the new entrants completely

• Advertisement

As I clarified, i was coming from an angling side.

Anyways, let's move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

Eventually, but your first two posts didn't refer to 8+ hours on the water at all.

In fact, you talked about paddling for an hour on a sunny day, then throwing yourself in and see how you get on. I've done this on the river and paddled home for an hour, and I was perfectly fine.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Yep, wouldn't leave home without it. Cost me a couple of hundered Euro and hopefully will never have to use it.

Mind you, I do get out and about on both salt and freshwater, sometimes on my own so It's a "must have" as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Other than when I did courses when I was young, I've nearly always paddled alone for over a decade now. I've enough people to be dealing with on dry land and enjoy the time to myself. Not the safest way forward, but I try not to take any chances.

I only go out in good weather. I check wind direction and tides. I have a VHF radio, PLB device, phone, drysuit in the winter and wetsuit in the summer. Also have a spare paddle and bilge pump on board. And also let people know where I'm heading.

Advertisement