Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth giving your life to minimum wage jobs?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,322 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anything below €30k you are far better off on the dole housing wise. Otherwise you need to be pulling in circa €100k to be able to afford a basic 3 bed in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭backwards_man

Why is owning a 3 bed semi in Dublin the benchmark for a livable wage? Capital cities are expensive to live in. In most countries people commute into major cities to work but live in cheaper areas. Low paid workers cannnot compete with high earners for housing and nor should it be the aim of the government in setting the minumum wage to enable them to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

If you are going to give up your life for work you don't particularly like then make sure you max out your wage.

Also, don't assume that some high pay jobs are stressful or hard or time consuming.

There are endless private and public snake oil organisations out there.

Really. Don't be the person who has to work his arse off forever while the above milk the system.

Get a high paying rewarding job that gives back and doesn't leech off society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bloody hell 🙄

Obviously when I was referrring to 'value' I was talking about the value the job provides to the employer. Some jobs are worth more than others. Also some jobs require specific skills/qualifications or are difficult to recruit into, so employers have to pay more.

Basic stuff.

Your rant is nonsensical. A job that requires no specific skills and can be done by anyone is by definition an unskilled job. If you don't like that, take it up with the guy in charge of the English language 🙄🙄🙄

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Sad reality is that no matter how hard you work, your pay will depend on demand for your skills and the supply of people willing to sell those skills to an employer. If there's 10,000 supermarket shelf stacking jobs and 10,000 people are willing to do the job for 11 euro per hour, that's what the wage rate will be.

I graduated University in mid 2000s and started an accounting job at 19,000 euro per year. Low enough compared to my peers who started on 22-23k. So they were all around 10 euro and hour or so.

We were under the impression our graduate salaries should double in under 3 years and by and large, they did for myself and colleagues that graduated together. We all picked up experience, skills, knowledge and qualifications that set us apart from others. I got a small raise after a year and then left for another job on almost 30k which was a 50% bump in 18 months.

I don't know how much my friends are on now as we don't discuss that any more but we all bought houses in Dublin and lead pretty comfortable lives. If we had not picked up skills over the years and stayed in jobs that could be performed by college grads and school leavers, no matter how hard we worked or how good we got at the job, we would be instantly replaceable and our wages would reflect that.

So people reading, get some qualifications and skills to set you apart and you'll be on the right road. If your employer realises it will be tough to replace you and expensive too, you'll be rewarded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jobs that create things or fix things or improve things.

Carpenter, electrician, plumber, engineer, architect, scientist, ...

And not an easily automatable job.

Quick Google...

Advertisement